Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on June 28, 2018, 06:10:14 AM
Don't worry chaps it's all going swimmingly well; those transatlantic trumpian sunlit uplands are all just around the next corner.  :bowler:

I know :( and our Trump will be hair-challenged as well!

Richard Hakluyt

Science fiction writers got it wrong. It is not "skynet" or malevolent robots that will be the downfall of the human race; instead it will be our own stupidity when confronted with social media.

A bit like the babel fish really; so at least Douglas Adams was part way there  :cool:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 28, 2018, 06:38:52 AM
Science fiction writers got it wrong. It is not "skynet" or malevolent robots that will be the downfall of the human race; instead it will be our own stupidity when confronted with social media.

A bit like the babel fish really; so at least Douglas Adams was part way there  :cool:

Yes RH good point.

Though I favour, the demise of the Krell in 'Forbidden Planet'  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Let's not forget there will be the EU summit. The key question seems to be: will UK cede Northern Ireland to the Republic to gain the ability of ruining the British economy, or will they just seek to relinquish all influence within the EU and leave things unchanged otherwise?

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2018, 08:06:28 AM
Let's not forget there will be the EU summit. The key question seems to be: will UK cede Northern Ireland to the Republic to gain the ability of ruining the British economy, or will they just seek to relinquish all influence within the EU and leave things unchanged otherwise?
The third option is more likely.
They completely forget 20th century history and decide to wipe their arse on the Good Friday agreement.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2018, 08:24:34 AM
They completely forget 20th century history and decide to wipe their arse on the Good Friday agreement.

I think that would be their preferred option yes, but I don't think the EU will let them.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2018, 08:25:58 AM

I think that would be their preferred option yes, but I don't think the EU will let them.
There's nothing the EU can do about it if the Tories decide to just let the country burn, which increasingly seems their option of choice.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 28, 2018, 08:39:38 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 28, 2018, 08:25:58 AM

There's nothing the EU can do about it if the Tories decide to just let the country burn, which increasingly seems their option of choice.

Well yeah actually, they can just crash out without a deal, indeed. Too bad, I preferred flying to the continent instead of taking the ferry.

Richard Hakluyt

If things go really badly there is indeed a possibility of the continent getting cut off  :o

The Minsky Moment

Can I just say it?

Fuck Boris Johnson
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 28, 2018, 09:29:45 AM
Can I just say it?

Fuck Boris Johnson

You're dissing our next Prime Minister, mate

The Minsky Moment

The only explanation for his tenure as foreign secretary is that God was trying to explain the Peter Principle to a particularly slow on the uptake angel.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

I knew he was trouble ever since I met him and he said there was a problem with too many women going to university which meant they'd never find men.
Really should have recorded that. Alas not many people had a video camera in their pocket back then.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 28, 2018, 09:29:45 AM
Can I just say it?

Fuck Boris Johnson

For anything in particular or everything in general?

The Minsky Moment

--Joan Robinson