Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2024, 10:38:54 AMI don't think any Indians really have a view of their being good or bad imperial British governments. And the thing that, from what I've read, Indians really blame the British for is partition which happened under Labour.

But also I think in the current Indian takes on history it would probably more be Labour getting tainted because of how close they were to leading Congress figures like Gandhi and Nehru.

I think you are massively overestimating British Indian interest in/knowledge of politics and political history (or you are projecting your own interest).

Sheilbh

Oh sorry I don't mean British Indians but in India. From what I've read the great crime of the British was partition. I don't think Labour's role is convinently ignored so much as not relevant to Indian views.

And I swear that a huge amount of the weird historic misinformation accounts online are Indian and mainly targeted on Congress and Gandhi as pro-Muslim or basically weak/hand-in-glove with the Brits. I think there's zero interest in which constellation of British imperialists were in charge at any point.

But I think there is a lot going on on discrediting the Congress story/role in independence - like with the Bose statue or the recent Savarkar movie. To the extent anyone in India cares about the Labour Party, I'm not sure that they got on very well with Nehru would be seen as a positive anymore.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2024, 11:42:04 AMOh sorry I don't mean British Indians but in India. From what I've read the great crime of the British was partition. I don't think Labour's role is convinently ignored so much as not relevant to Indian views.

And I swear that a huge amount of the weird historic misinformation accounts online are Indian and mainly targeted on Congress and Gandhi as pro-Muslim or basically weak/hand-in-glove with the Brits. I think there's zero interest in which constellation of British imperialists were in charge at any point.

But I think there is a lot going on on discrediting the Congress story/role in independence - like with the Bose statue or the recent Savarkar movie. To the extent anyone in India cares about the Labour Party, I'm not sure that they got on very well with Nehru would be seen as a positive anymore.

What is the Indian (or at least BJP) views on partition anyways?  That it was a bad thing because it broke up a greater India?  That it was a bad thing because it left India with so many muslims still?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on June 03, 2024, 11:42:11 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2024, 11:27:10 AMWhere is Burnley :D

Manchester.
Wonderful Northern values in these children.

I can see why people want to move south :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Gups

Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2024, 11:51:41 AM

Manchester.

The ice creams are cheaper for one thing.

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 03, 2024, 11:42:04 AMOh sorry I don't mean British Indians but in India. From what I've read the great crime of the British was partition. I don't think Labour's role is convinently ignored so much as not relevant to Indian views.

Of, fair enough. But even then, I think it's a pretty small minority of Indians (although a small minority can mean millions).

And frankly, partition was a disaster, rushed without any proper consideration for implementation. Labour, Congress and Jinnah can share the blame for that.

HVC

Tamas

Quote from: Gups on June 03, 2024, 11:54:10 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 03, 2024, 11:51:41 AM

Manchester.

The ice creams are cheaper for one thing.

:lol:

Can you imagine the parents though if this is what the kid picks up as expected behaviour?

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

HVC