Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Richard Hakluyt

Official Monster Raving Loony Party have a candidate....Ravin Rodent Subortna, worth considering given the other candidates.

Sheilbh

Interesting - despite al the Telegraph pieces primarily blaming a taste for avocadoes:

I have read somewhere that actually exposure to young family members trying to get on the property ladder has a radicalising effect on older generations - and I suspect we're reaching a point where everyone knows someone.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Only by a tiny and inconsequential amount, but its curious its the older people who blame youngsters less with the young themselves blaming themselves most.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Pfft. Clearly this is what's wrong with Britain:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/12/20/wfh-young-given-up-real-work/

QuoteThe entitled young have finally given up on real work

Britain's century-long culture of productivity is being trashed before our very eyes

(Paywall, so no idea how "the young" trash Britain besides WFH .)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on February 14, 2024, 09:24:14 AMPfft. Clearly this is what's wrong with Britain:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/12/20/wfh-young-given-up-real-work/

QuoteThe entitled young have finally given up on real work

Britain's century-long culture of productivity is being trashed before our very eyes

(Paywall, so no idea how "the young" trash Britain besides WFH .)

QuoteBritain's century-long culture of productivity is being trashed before our very eyes

...Wut?
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

:lol: Quite. Of all the papers, youd expect the Telegraph to be aware of the British disease.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on February 14, 2024, 09:20:22 AMOnly by a tiny and inconsequential amount, but its curious its the older people who blame youngsters less with the young themselves blaming themselves most.

I don't think it's inconsequential. I know lots of people who pictured themselves as being empty nesters at this stage in their lives, and they continue to have at least one child living with them. One adult child, who when property prices were seen, would have easily been able to afford to Move out and start their lives on their own.

And from the data we see and the news reports that also give anecdotal stories I think a reasonable inference can be drawn that this is affecting a large number of families.

The political party that can tap into that anxiety and discontent, will be successful.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 14, 2024, 09:56:32 AM
Quote from: Josquius on February 14, 2024, 09:20:22 AMOnly by a tiny and inconsequential amount, but its curious its the older people who blame youngsters less with the young themselves blaming themselves most.

I don't think it's inconsequential. I know lots of people who pictured themselves as being empty nesters at this stage in their lives, and they continue to have at least one child living with them. One adult child, who when property prices were seen, would have easily been able to afford to Move out and start their lives on their own.

And from the data we see and the news reports that also give anecdotal stories I think a reasonable inference can be drawn that this is affecting a large number of families.

The political party that can tap into that anxiety and discontent, will be successful.

What do you think young people should do differently to not be at fault?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Josquius on February 14, 2024, 09:28:34 AM
QuoteBritain's century-long culture of productivity is being trashed before our very eyes

...Wut?

1840 - 1940? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on February 14, 2024, 10:17:31 AM

What have I said to make you think I view young people to be at fault?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on February 14, 2024, 10:35:24 AM1840 - 1940? :P
No. Britain did not do very well in the second industrial revolution :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

PJL

Yeah, it's more like 1770-1870. Britain has been in decline ever since.

The Brain

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 14, 2024, 10:36:03 AM

Jos said that it was young people's fault only by a tiny and inconsequential amount. You disagreed with the inconsequential part.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on February 14, 2024, 11:38:14 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 14, 2024, 10:36:03 AM

Jos said that it was young people's fault only by a tiny and inconsequential amount. You disagreed with the inconsequential part.

I think you misread what was happening. Jos was responding to the comment that the fact that young people are not able to get housing is radicalizing the older generation. I thought that the radicalization was more than inconsequential.