Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Gups

Quote from: Zanza on June 07, 2023, 11:55:26 AMJust read that the UK built 6.7 MW new wind energy onshore since 2015. Germany built 2.4 GW last year as comparison. They blame the extremely strictly planning and permission process in the UK.

Not so much strict as straight out banned (in planning terms) since 2015. There's a promise to lift the ban from the current Govt but it's not materialised yet.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 07, 2023, 11:58:41 AMWell, I  mean, since we have purchased our property this week, I have increasingly become aware of the blight of bat habitats on the island. I urge, nay, demand, that all construction of any kind stops IMMEDIATELY, until such a time that  zero impact on any possible bat or bat habitats, or indeed potential future bat habitats, can be assured.

Why do you hate bats? :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Tamas on June 07, 2023, 11:58:41 AMWell, I  mean, since we have purchased our property this week, I have increasingly become aware of the blight of bat habitats on the island. I urge, nay, demand, that all construction of any kind stops IMMEDIATELY, until such a time that  zero impact on any possible bat or bat habitats, or indeed potential future bat habitats, can be assured.

10/10
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on June 07, 2023, 12:06:37 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 07, 2023, 11:55:26 AMJust read that the UK built 6.7 MW new wind energy onshore since 2015. Germany built 2.4 GW last year as comparison. They blame the extremely strictly planning and permission process in the UK.

Not so much strict as straight out banned (in planning terms) since 2015. There's a promise to lift the ban from the current Govt but it's not materialised yet.

The Government blames the government for ban which is down to the government and liftable by the government.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Gups on June 07, 2023, 05:17:10 AMI simply don't understand how it is supposed to be even remotely affordable. Assuming 55 million adults in the UK, £1,600 a month equates to more than £1 trillion a year. That's about a third of GDP and not far off the equivalent of the  public spending.  Even assuming that you could cease welfare and pension payments (and its unclear from the proponents whether that would be the case), the cost would still be £750bn pa. Tax would have to increase to the point where it simply wouldn't be worth working.

That's not even taking into account the reduction in GDP from people leaving the work force.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Gups on June 07, 2023, 12:06:37 PMNot so much strict as straight out banned (in planning terms) since 2015. There's a promise to lift the ban from the current Govt but it's not materialised yet.
Yeah I think the moratorium was Cameron. Johnson said he was going to remove it and then u-turned. In the leadership race Truss wanted to end the moratorium and lots of her backers are very opposed to it, they see it, not unreasonably, as a block on growth (no doubt implemented by the anti-growth coalition she served in for many years). Sunak was fully supportive of the moratorium and also opposed to solar - now I think he's saying they'll lift the national moratorium but it should be under local control.

:bleeding:

Edit: After a week of arguments over WhatsApps by ministers and officials in Westminster being provided to the covid inquiry, there's now an argument with the Scottish government over Sturgeon's WhatsApps and phone messages (I believe their defence is that she didn't use any informal channels - which strikes me as implausible). Something grimly fitting that in the covid inquiry we again have Scotland and England basically having the same issue, with basically the same government response but a week apart to be different.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Dame Priti Patel and Sir Rees-Mogg. What a farce.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

It is meaningless.

Although the one I :bleeding: to most was Sir Michael Fabricant.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Johnson received the Privileges Committee report on whether he misled Parliament about partygate, and has stepped down as an MP.

The report hasn't been published yet.

Edit: Apparently they recommended more than a ten day suspension which would have triggered an automatic recall petition.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 09, 2023, 02:05:09 PMJohnson received the Privileges Committee report on whether he misled Parliament about partygate, and has stepped down as an MP.

The report hasn't been published yet.

Edit: Apparently they recommended more than a ten day suspension which would have triggered an automatic recall petition.

Tomorrow's* chip papers, good riddance to the tosser.   :bowler:

*actually Sunday's given the late hour.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

It's a shame we won't get to see him lose his seat at the GE - thats what he's really dodging I reckon.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

It is pretty extraordinary that none of the main party leaders who fought the 2019 election will be defending their seats. Johnson resigned, Corbyn has been kicked out of Labour and May run as an independent, Swindon lost her seat and even Sturgeon (though not an MSP) has stood down as leader.

Not sure if there's been another example of that much change at the top between elections. Maybe 74-79?
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 10, 2023, 06:46:52 AMIt is pretty extraordinary that none of the main party leaders who fought the 2019 election will be defending their seats. Johnson resigned, Corbyn has been kicked out of Labour and May run as an independent, Swindon lost her seat and even Sturgeon (though not an MSP) has stood down as leader.

Not sure if there's been another example of that much change at the top between elections. Maybe 74-79?

I blame the irrelevance of Brexit for all this chaos. :P

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 10, 2023, 06:46:52 AMIt is pretty extraordinary that none of the main party leaders who fought the 2019 election will be defending their seats. Johnson resigned, Corbyn has been kicked out of Labour and May run as an independent, Swindon lost her seat and even Sturgeon (though not an MSP) has stood down as leader.

Who?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"