Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Zanza

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 05, 2023, 04:37:16 AMFor the richer part of the population there is no problem here, rental income rises as do capital values. The question is why do the poor 80% connive and support their own poverty by voting Tory and supporting nimbyism?
Gramsci has entered the chat :lol: :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

I'm highly skeptical of attempts to link population growth to the house price situation, as dominant as this narrative is.
As mentioned in the 50s/60s we saw the same levels of population growth however we built enough to keep up.
With modern building methods we should be more than capable of doing this today if it wasn't for nimbys and the right wing economic consensus that dominates - it shows the levels of Truss' madness that she believes the opposite is a thing.

As to why prices went mad when they did... I'd say like so much of the suffering the country has endured in the past 40 years, even if it didn't happen during thatchers reign, most of it can be tracked back to decisions made then.
It simply took a decade of build up for her destruction of local goverment and fucking with house building to finally burst the dam.

Also, a topic I always mention but which isn't getting attention anywhere at all... Another problem for just building more is the decline in tradespeople. The EU was just barely helping us keep our heads above water there.
My dad was amongst the final years to graduate under the old apprenticeship system and he is due for retirement in another couple of years. Under thatcher apprenticeships were basically scrapped. The numbers of tradespeople entering the work force in the 80s is miniscule. We have a huge looming gap where there'll be virtually no senior tradesmen in the land.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Incidentally very much not the main point - but is that a picture of Che dressed as Nelson behind Truss?

Between that and Gove's portrait of Lenin - it's a bit weird :hmm: :blink:

Also - again the insane overinfluence of US politics - Truss' "friends" are apparently briefing that she sees herself as the Barry Goldwater of the British right. I feel like that's a comparison that's only flattering after the eventual hard won triumph, not the catastrophic, unprecedented defeat...
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Lot of political biographies on her shelves....I would have thought that Owl Babies or Richard Scarry's Busy Busy World was more her  :hmm:

celedhring

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 05, 2023, 03:33:57 PMLot of political biographies on her shelves....I would have thought that Owl Babies or Richard Scarry's Busy Busy World was more her  :hmm:

You know, you made me look at the shelf in my living room, and it's full of filmmaker biographies and film theory books :nerd:

To each its own, I guess...

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 05, 2023, 03:03:03 PMIncidentally very much not the main point - but is that a picture of Che dressed as Nelson behind Truss?

Yes it is. And I'd wager that they have not paid the IP holder for the use of that image.

Sheilbh

Reply from a former civil servant now education wonk and school trustee (who I think may be on the left) - sounds like she got it from her local market :lol:
QuoteGareth
@GarethConyard
Replying to
@jessicaelgot
Yup. We have the same picture. Bought in Greenwich market years ago

(It looks nicer on his wall - the framing is better)....
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

From the Dutch:

"Celebrating 3 years of freedom"

Seems a bit too harsh.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

The "A Day in the Life of a True Brexit Geezer" videos are way more positive.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on February 06, 2023, 05:37:34 AMFrom the Dutch:

"ting 3 years of freedom"

Seems a bit too harsh.

But true. There definitely is this strain of quitling who saw brexit as a huge win for them personally.
They're like the dog who finally succeeds in getting the squeaker out of it's toy. Super proud of their achievement and not going to hand the squeaker over... Not really considering they've just broke their toy.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

From the Guardian live business commentary:

QuoteIn the bond market, the bastion of the left-wing economic establishment, UK government debt prices have fallen today as traders anticipate future interest rate rises.

:lol:

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on February 06, 2023, 06:01:24 AMFrom the Guardian live business commentary:

QuoteIn the bond market, the bastion of the left-wing economic establishment, UK government debt prices have fallen today as traders anticipate future interest rate rises.

:lol:

It's like shooting fish in a barrel.  If the right doesn't believe in the free market what do they have?

Tamas

To be filed under "Germans will be begging to be making deal with us after Brexit so they can keep selling their cars" the UK government is paying BMW so they build cars here:

QuoteIn another interesting development in the car industry, BMW are in talks with UK government over a £75m grant to guarantee production of electric Minis at its Cowley carworks in Oxford.

Sky News reported last weekend that the German auto giant was negotiating with officials at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy over a grant from Whitehall's Automotive Transformation Fund.

The Larch

TBF this kind of big investments for industrial development will always have a degree of financial support by public authorities.