Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Not broken down by wealth/class - but age breakdown of LGB+ is as expected:

And similar for T+:

Interesting big gender gap too where women are far more likely to identify as bisexual while men are more likely to identify as gay. This interacts with age meaning there's a lot more women who are LGB+ in younger generations, while more men in older generations:

Part of this is obviously people feeling more comfortable with coming out. I think the AIDS epidemic also has a bigger impact in the older generations. I also think there's something about the stigma around bisexual men "bi now, gay later".
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Curious lesbians seem to die young.
You'd expect with AIDS more of an inverse.

Obviously not what the data is really saying there- bi-women more likely to fall in with a guy whilst bi-men are also more likely to fall in with a guy?
Straight women saying they're bi to be cool?
There being more opportunity for young women to genuinely in good faith experiment?
All of these seem possible.
██████
██████
██████

PJL

Given the trends among the young, looks like the oft quoted figure of 1 in 10 being non hetero, which I thought the true figure could be, might not be so far from the mark after all.

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on January 25, 2023, 07:49:52 AMCurious lesbians seem to die young.

What? I don't thing you're correctly interpreting the stats...

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on January 25, 2023, 08:16:42 AM
Quote from: Josquius on January 25, 2023, 07:49:52 AMCurious lesbians seem to die young.

Women outnumber men until 35 to 44 after which the gap grows ever larger with men outnumbering women.

As said, the reason obviously isn't that lesbianism is bad for your health. But bereft of all context and common sense you could read that.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on January 25, 2023, 08:18:41 AM

Women outnumber men until 35 to 44 after which the gap grows ever larger with men outnumbering women.

As said, the reason obviously isn't that lesbianism is bad for your health. But bereft of all context and common sense you could read that.

That just means that while younger women are likelier to identify as a sexual minority, older women are much less likely to do so. It's fixed data on time, not an evolving picture.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on January 25, 2023, 08:21:00 AM

That just means that while younger women are likelier to identify as a sexual minority, older women are much less likely to do so. It's fixed data on time, not an evolving picture.

There's the nature vs. nurture debate and I would expect to some extent there genuinely are more gay people today than there were historically, but I just can't see there being such a genuine hefty gap of 9% of the population in an age range being LGB or not.
There's clearly something more at work here than just gay women weren't invented until the 90s. Something that makes it far more acceptable or desirable for young women than men to be LGB these days whilst there's also something pruning the numbers of the older generation.

(Incidentally just LGB without the T sits very uneasy. Too many hate group associations).
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Josquius on January 25, 2023, 08:24:47 AM

There's the nature vs. nurture debate and I would expect to some extent there genuinely are more gay people today than there were historically, but I just can't see there being such a genuine hefty gap of 9% of the population in an age range being LGB or not.
There's clearly something more at work here than just gay women weren't invented until the 90s. Something that makes it far more acceptable or desirable for young women than men to be LGB these days whilst there's also something pruning the numbers of the older generation.

(Incidentally just LGB without the T sits very uneasy. Too many hate group associations).

Sometimes I genuinely wonder how your mental process goes and how can you reach such bizarre conclusions from the same data or stuff I'm reading.

It's self-identification data. It's not an absolute % of people who ARE a sexual minority, but the % of people who IDENTIFY as a sexual minority. Plenty of people who actually belong to a sexual minority don't identify as such for a myriad of reasons, and if you want to turn the table on that and play devil's advocate maybe some people who identify as a sexual minority are not really one (the "experimenting" crowd, so to speak).

The conclusions to be reached are pretty understandable, IMO. Younger people (and younger women more than men) nowadays feel much more free to identify as a sexual minority, given the current societal attitudes, people's upbringings nowadays, etc, while older people still keep the usual hang-ups on the topic that were historically present for our societies due to their upbringings, attitudes on thie issue during most of their lifetimes, etc.

Sheilbh

Re. The Met :ultra: :bleeding:
QuoteTwo to three Met Police officers including alleged sex offenders to appear in court every week
Sir Mark Rowley admits there are more than 'just a few bad apples' in force, hours after Safer Schools officer revealed to be child sex offender
Lizzie Dearden
Home Affairs Editor
1 hour ago

Two to three Metropolitan Police officers will be appearing in court every week, including more charged with sexual offences and domestic abuse, the commissioner has said.

Sir Mark Rowley admitted there are more than "just a few bad apples" in the force and warned of more "ghastly" cases to come.

"Looking at the next few weeks ahead, most weeks there are two or three officers going to court for criminal cases," he told the London Assembly police and crime committee.

"It tends to be a mix of dishonesty, violence and violence against women and girls type offences – domestic abuse, sexual offences etc - there's probably two or three a week coming to court ... there's a trickle of them and we're going to be surfacing more."

Even more officers are to appear for disciplinary hearings, including a constable who admitted the false imprisonment of a woman after "using tape to restrain her wrists, ankles and cover her mouth".

Sir Mark was questioned on Wednesday just hours after Scotland Yard announced that a Safer Schools officer had admitted a string of child sex offences, including grooming young girls.

PC Hussain Chehab appeared in court just days after David Carrick pleaded guilty to 49 offences, including 24 rapes, against 12 women dating back to 2003.

Following Carrick's admissions, the Metropolitan Police conducted a search for other officers and staff who had been allowed to remain in the force after allegations of sexual misconduct and domestic abuse, uncovered more than 1,000. Forces across England and Wales have now been ordered to conduct similar checks.

Sir Mark said that some allegations were found to have been resolved, some people are being re-vetted and some new criminal investigations are beginning.

"While I'm confident we got many cases right, we have to accept there are many cases we got wrong and there will be people we've got to take a fresh look at," he added.

"I'm not saying it's just a few bad apples, it's more than that - there are system failings ... lifting the stone and revealing painful truths will not be resolved overnight. We have to prepare for more painful stories as we confront the issues that we face."

The Metropolitan Police is also checking all staff and officers against the Police National Database, which holds intelligence outside criminal convictions, to check if there are others with previously unknown contact with other forces.

In the most recent case to come to light, PC Hussain Chehab admitted four counts of sexual activity with a girl aged between 13 and 15, three counts of making indecent photographs of a child and one of engaging in sexual communication with a child.

He is expected to be sacked at an upcoming disciplinary hearing, and Scotland Yard said he committed the sexual activity offences in 2019 before joining the force.

When questioned about the case, Sir Mark said the crimes had not been reported "until recently" and were not known about when Chehab applied to join the Met.

"It looks like the vetting procedures were sensible but sadly he was clearly an inappropriate person, we now know, to be in a school," the commissioner added.

"Whilst the police he took part in grooming activity, it is ghastly. We've apologised to the victims and their families, they shouldn't be facing that at the hands of a police officer, and it's another one of these cases which will trouble the people of London.

"I'm sorry for that and we're going to keep coming back to cases like this as we surface them."

Some of the image offences were committed while Chehab was a Safer Schools officer attached to a secondary school in Enfield in 2021, and he was "immediately removed front the role" after allegations were made.

Scotland Yard said it was working with the school and local council to ensure there were no further unreported incidents or missed opportunities to arrest Chehab earlier.

Separately my MP has written to Rowley because he's complained that it's "mad" that there are hundreds of "toxic" officers he wants to remove from the force but can't. She's asked him to clarify exactly what the legal obstacles are but it sounds slightly like it's specific police processes as well as the general employment law complications of firing someone - based purely on the example in this article of a PC who's now admitted in court to sexual offences but still has to go through a formal disciplinary hearing to fire him.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on January 25, 2023, 08:30:54 AMSometimes I genuinely wonder how your mental process goes and how can you reach such bizarre conclusions from the same data or stuff I'm reading.

It's self-identification data. It's not an absolute % of people who ARE a sexual minority, but the % of people who IDENTIFY as a sexual minority. Plenty of people who actually belong to a sexual minority don't identify as such for a myriad of reasons, and if you want to turn the table on that and play devil's advocate maybe some people who identify as a sexual minority are not really one (the "experimenting" crowd, so to speak).

The conclusions to be reached are pretty understandable, IMO. Younger people (and younger women more than men) nowadays feel much more free to identify as a sexual minority, given the current societal attitudes, people's upbringings nowadays, etc, while older people still keep the usual hang-ups on the topic that were historically present for our societies due to their upbringings, attitudes on thie issue during most of their lifetimes, etc.

Where are you getting the idea that its not about self identification?
The facts are young women are more likely than young men to identify as LGB whilst this flips as you look at older groups.
There's clearly something (/many things, however you want to look at it) at work here to make LGB identification numbers sharply drop off with older vs young women.
Its understandable that there's more gay young people certainly- but that you see this far bigger drop off with women vs. men is curious.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2023, 08:43:39 AMSeparately my MP has written to Rowley because he's complained that it's "mad" that there are hundreds of "toxic" officers he wants to remove from the force but can't. She's asked him to clarify exactly what the legal obstacles are but it sounds slightly like it's specific police processes as well as the general employment law complications of firing someone - based purely on the example in this article of a PC who's now admitted in court to sexual offences but still has to go through a formal disciplinary hearing to fire him.

From my former knowledge of these things, should be easy enough for him to highlight. I know there are a lot of police regulations that make the process quite a slog to get through to actually dismissing someone.

Also, makes you wonder what was Cressida doing her whole tenure beyond just letting things sit under rugs.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: The Larch on January 25, 2023, 08:30:54 AM
Quote from: Josquius on January 25, 2023, 08:24:47 AM

Sometimes I genuinely wonder how your mental process goes and how can you reach such bizarre conclusions from the same data or stuff I'm reading.

You consistently analyzes the how & do of data. He consistently analyzes the why.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2023, 09:39:20 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2023, 08:43:39 AMSeparately my MP has written to Rowley because he's complained that it's "mad" that there are hundreds of "toxic" officers he wants to remove from the force but can't. She's asked him to clarify exactly what the legal obstacles are but it sounds slightly like it's specific police processes as well as the general employment law complications of firing someone - based purely on the example in this article of a PC who's now admitted in court to sexual offences but still has to go through a formal disciplinary hearing to fire him.

From my former knowledge of these things, should be easy enough for him to highlight. I know there are a lot of police regulations that make the process quite a slog to get through to actually dismissing someone.

Also, makes you wonder what was Cressida doing her whole tenure beyond just letting things sit under rugs.

The most important thing is that they don't work as police officers. Even if you can't fire someone you can put them on the bench.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2023, 09:39:20 AMAlso, makes you wonder what was Cressida doing her whole tenure beyond just letting things sit under rugs.
I know I always bang on about it - but she was gold commander of the operation that shot Jean Charles de Menezes and she tried to cover it up. That should have been the end of her police career.

Then all the stuff about how she's a "copper's copper" and very popular with the rank and file. I think that's what that means: covering up the mistakes and also for you "bad apple" colleagues.
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 25, 2023, 10:42:17 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2023, 09:39:20 AMAlso, makes you wonder what was Cressida doing her whole tenure beyond just letting things sit under rugs.
I know I always bang on about it - but she was gold commander of the operation that shot Jean Charles de Menezes and she tried to cover it up. That should have been the end of her police career.

Then all the stuff about how she's a "copper's copper" and very popular with the rank and file. I think that's what that means: covering up the mistakes and also for you "bad apple" colleagues.

I believe you are completely correct and her entire tenure was a waste of time when it comes to making the met a better police force.