Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Admiral Yi

I watched the live stream for about five seconds.

Tamas

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2022, 10:33:58 PMI watched the live stream for about five seconds.

I hope you paid your respect and did not cite any republican crap!  :mad:

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

I mean he did use to work at JPMorgan Chase, so in his world this is probably a big deal. :P

It must be annoying having to use various creative means to replace high bonuses.

But, that's also the reason why I don't think it matters. Whether they call it a bonus or annual suit-purchase allowance, they can give each other the money they want.

Richard Hakluyt

One has to feel pity for the poor, but honest, bankers  :(

Josquius

The costs are out for Beergate.

https://www.nationalworld.com/news/crime/beergate-investigation-9-major-crime-detectives-durham-police-keir-starmer-3844975

QuoteKeir Starmer 'Beergate' investigation cost Durham police over £100,000 - and used 9 major crime detectives
Detectives who would normally solve murders and sexual assaults were pulled into the Covid rules investigation of Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer costing £100,000.

The Labour leader had been photographed enjoying a beer and Indian takeaway in Durham on 30 April 2021, while on the campaign trail for the impending Hartlepool byelection.

Sir Keir's team insisted he and other attendees – including deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner – had stopped to eat while working, and that Covid rules had never been broken. All were cleared of any wrongdoing in July 2022 following an investigation by Durham Constabulary.

The force had reopened the case in May 2022 after coming under significant pressure from Conservative MPs and others, despite stating earlier in the year that they did not believe rules had been broken.

NationalWorld submitted a freedom of information request to Durham Constabulary asking how much the subsequent investigation had cost, how many officers had been involved and what their usual roles were, and how much time the force had sunk into the matter.

We can now reveal the investigation cost the force an estimated £101,000 and approximately 3,203 hours of police work.

Nine officers were involved in the inquiry – one detective superintendent, one detective inspector, one detective sergeant and six detective constables, alongside two other members of police staff. All 11 were from the force's major crime team.

Sir Keir has previously said he "hated" being subject to a criminal investigation.

He told Sky News's Beth Rigby that waiting to hear whether he would be exonerated was a "burden every day".

He said: "I hated it, I am not like other people in many respects that will say it doesn't matter, it meant a lot to me, it was a burden I was carrying. I tried not to show it of course, but it was there every day."

People in Co.Durham really need to take heed of this. Tory MPs and councillors splurging limited police budgets on playing petty political games that have nothing to gain for us.
Something to remember amidst all those burglaries that don't get investigated...
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

In other news, it's been about a month since the last time our community waste bins has been picked up. The scene, I don't need to tell you, is not great. There is a generic "sorry if you are affected" message on the council page, but if they don't arrived today I'll need to find a way to complain, it really is ridiculous.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2022, 04:36:44 AMIn other news, it's been about a month since the last time our community waste bins has been picked up. The scene, I don't need to tell you, is not great. There is a generic "sorry if you are affected" message on the council page, but if they don't arrived today I'll need to find a way to complain, it really is ridiculous.

What's the reason?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2022, 05:09:17 AMWhat's the reason?
Maybe the garbage men are still busy with bringing out Boris Johnson...  :bowler:

Tamas

Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2022, 05:09:17 AM
Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2022, 04:36:44 AMIn other news, it's been about a month since the last time our community waste bins has been picked up. The scene, I don't need to tell you, is not great. There is a generic "sorry if you are affected" message on the council page, but if they don't arrived today I'll need to find a way to complain, it really is ridiculous.

What's the reason?

No reason given.

The Brain

Quote from: Tamas on September 16, 2022, 05:26:04 AM
Quote from: The Brain on September 16, 2022, 05:09:17 AM

What's the reason?

No reason given.

:hmm:
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Our council has on online form that alerts them to garbage/littering problems which they then promptly clean up. I'd be surprised if your council doesn't have something similar.

So do that and if that doesn't solve the problem then complain to your councillor.

Josquius

I Found this the other day and was set to go on a spree of reporting local crap but the site claims my council is one of 2% that don't support it....
I think its likely a lot of people are in that 2% but worth a try.
https://www.fixmystreet.com/
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 16, 2022, 05:38:17 AM

Our council has on online form that alerts them to garbage/littering problems which they then promptly clean up. I'd be surprised if your council doesn't have something similar.

So do that and if that doesn't solve the problem then complain to your councillor.

Thanks they do have it but it always gives me an excuse why the online thing cannot report it.

Once it was that I was reporting two days after the last scheduled appointment. Today (when they were supposed to show up next) was something about the bin not being in place - so either what's happening is that this domestic report won' work for communal collection (there's no communal reporting option) or that there is a new crew and they are unawares that they are supposed to be picking it up from behind the line of garages.

I'll probably ask the estate agents to sort it out (haha), but I find it incredible and unlikely that I am the only one of about 20 households bothered enough by the mountain of trash to try and do something about it.

Tamas

I have found the generic "send a question" contact form and have sent the council a note.  :sleep: