Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Trying to resist blaming everything on older people - and yet... :lol:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/08/24/pensioners-cannot-win-everybodys-solution-us-drop-dead-day/

Ironically a political manifesto that's made the Tory Party one of the most successful political parties in the democratic world :weep: Although it's rare to see it expressed so openly and concisely :lol:

As Leo Carella put it, this is like the Telegraph's final boss.

Edit: Upside - deligthed to still be described as part of "the young" :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Richard Hakluyt

"...a lifetime of saving..."

lying bastards  :lol:

Admiral Yi

Paywalled.

What does "under fire for the cost of living crisis" mean?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2022, 04:18:29 PMWhat does "under fire for the cost of living crisis" mean?
Self-pity. They're being blamed for the cost of living crisis/economy in general "despite a lifetime of saving" :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 24, 2022, 04:26:41 PMSelf-pity. They're being blamed for the cost of living crisis/economy in general "despite a lifetime of saving" :lol:

Right.  But are they in fact being blamed or is that part a fabrication?

Sheilbh

It's self-pity. They feel like they're being blamed for everything.

The only part of the cost of living crisis I think is being blamed on them - with some fairness - is around housing. But there's lots of more general blaming them for the state of the economy. Especially increasingly on young centre-right circles.

Edit: Although to be fully transparent - I blame them for almost everything so... :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 24, 2022, 04:40:26 PMIt's self-pity. They feel like they're being blamed for everything.

The only part of the cost of living crisis I think is being blamed on them - with some fairness - is around housing. But there's lots of more general blaming them for the state of the economy. Especially increasingly on young centre-right circles.

Edit: Although to be fully transparent - I blame them for almost everything so... :hmm:

So they're being blamed unfairly for the general state of the economy *and* it's self pity? :hmm:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 24, 2022, 05:06:17 PMSo they're being blamed unfairly for the general state of the economy *and* it's self pity? :hmm:
Where did I say it was unfair? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 24, 2022, 05:08:00 PMWhere did I say it was unfair? :P

I had some trouble parsing your chaotic lawless syntax. ;)

I interpreted your 2nd and 3rd sentences to mean only blaming housing is fair.  Therefore by inference blaming anything else is unfair.

However, those two sentences could also be interpreted as: only housing is being blamed, which is fair.  But that directly contradicts the next sentence, which says not only housing, but in fact the general economy too, is being blamed.

HVC

Everyone knows that the financial crisis is due to millennials spending too much on avocados and not enough on other luxuries.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Boomers deserve to be blamed heavily. Most shit in the world is their fault.

Which to be fair is kind of to be expected from people who have been around so long.

But they've been particularly horrid, potentially dooming civilization.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Josquius on August 24, 2022, 05:50:54 PMBoomers deserve to be blamed heavily. Most shit in the world is their fault.

Which to be fair is kind of to be expected from people who have been around so long.

They got off to a good start but then the 1980s happened.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josquius on August 24, 2022, 05:50:54 PMBoomers deserve to be blamed heavily. Most shit in the world is their fault.

Not so much how long they were around but how numerous they were and therefore how impactful their generation was on well everything.

Admiral Yi

Then you have to argue they're responsible for all the good as well.

Richard Hakluyt

I don't see anyone foregoing cheap fossil energy; apart from mad Jones McJonesface in his bothy somewhere in Snowdonia  ;)

Half the manmade carbon dioxide increase has happened in the past three decades and the emissions continue to increase; blaming it on "boomers" is a distraction.