Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Josquius

Briefly saw a flash of bbc news talking about the candidates with a tiny blurb for each.

The one for kemi badoch was weird - it said against identity politics. I thought she was the main one pushing the anti woke nonsense?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on July 15, 2022, 04:16:04 PMBriefly saw a flash of bbc news talking about the candidates with a tiny blurb for each.

The one for kemi badoch was weird - it said against identity politics. I thought she was the main one pushing the anti woke nonsense?

What's the confusion? People who are against 'identity politics' are typically the ones decrying wokeism, no?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Yeah, "against identity politics" means "we should maintain the previous status quo about identities, it's only those who want to change that who are being political".

Sheilbh

Although there's a clip of her talking about this here - and I basically think she's a median Languishite (having only read about her comments before):
https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1547656649820610561?s=21&t=RXdTJor-Cv29gtOHCsYaGg

I also wonder the extent to which she's known as a culture warrior (how I knew her) is just a function of Johnson appointing a black woman to the equalities brief.

I think both change and conservation are pretty political and we should probably embrace it.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on July 15, 2022, 04:20:04 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 15, 2022, 04:16:04 PMBriefly saw a flash of bbc news talking about the candidates with a tiny blurb for each.

What's the confusion? People who are against 'identity politics' are typically the ones decrying wokeism, no?

The whole anti woke thing is peak identity politics.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 15, 2022, 04:57:02 PMThe whole anti woke thing is peak identity politics.

I predict your new usage will not catch on.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2022, 08:42:23 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 15, 2022, 04:57:02 PMThe whole anti woke thing is peak identity politics.

I predict your new usage will not catch on.

Of course not. Most media is owned by Conservative aligned oligarchs.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on July 15, 2022, 08:55:06 PMOf course not. Most media is owned by Conservative aligned oligarchs.

That is not true and that is not the reason it won't catch on.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 15, 2022, 10:11:10 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 15, 2022, 08:55:06 PMOf course not. Most media is owned by Conservative aligned oligarchs.

That is not true and that is not the reason it won't catch on.

It's very true.

And this isn't a new usage. It's been noted for some time that conservatives make the most use of identity politics, especially in the US its the core of how they have succeeded since Reagen.
██████
██████
██████

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2022, 09:09:53 AMI see that Penny Mordaunt, in addition to blocking an interconnector with France that could provide 5% of our power because it would "ruin" the view from a cottage in her constituency, has now come out against housing targets.

She did oppose it, as did almost everyone in the area but that was not the main reason at all. And she didn't block it, was not her decision.

It was refused on a variety of perfectly good grounds none of which had anything to do with nimbyism including that it would prevent a major off shore windfarm and delay an important coastal defence scheme. There were alternative means of securing a connection which would not do so. Also worth noting worth the owner was a former Russian defence minister, Putin ally and major Tory donor.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 16, 2022, 02:11:17 AMIt's very true.

In the US it's not true for CNN, MSNBC, all three networks, MSNBC, the New York Times, the Washington Post.  In the UK it's not true for the BBC, the Guardian, the Economist, and I imagine several more outlets that are not Murdoch owned.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 15, 2022, 09:09:53 AMI see that Penny Mordaunt, in addition to blocking an interconnector with France that could provide 5% of our power because it would "ruin" the view from a cottage in her constituency, has now come out against housing targets.

The other explanation is she shares a surname with a villain in the sequel to the Three Musketeers.  :P

QuoteI think she's now probably the candidate I least want to win - lots of vibes and the only policy I can see is ultra-NIMBYism. No doubt the nation will now be swept with Mordmentum as she secures another ten years of government for the Tory party :weep:

Ultra-NIMBYism as in Green-compatible?  :D

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2022, 06:01:36 AM

In the US it's not true for CNN, MSNBC, all three networks, MSNBC, the New York Times, the Washington Post.  In the UK it's not true for the BBC, the Guardian, the Economist, and I imagine several more outlets that are not Murdoch owned.

Isn't Fox News the most viewed news station in the US by far? Murdoch's media is not the only one around, of course, but it's extremely well watched and read everywhere, and thus exerts plenty of influence over society. And it covers both high and low brow media, it owns at the same time The NY Post and the Wall Street Journal in the US, and The Sun and The Times in the UK. There's not really an equivalent on the other side of the spectrum.

As for the UK, please Brits correct me if I'm wrong, but the BBC has become much more pro-Tory in recent years, with some very partisan people in top jobs there. As for The Guardian and the Economist, they might be influential but they have more prestige than circulation.

Tamas

In relation to Josq and Sheilbh being totally meh about the prospect of Scottish independence: I am listening to the Rest of History podcast on the ACW, with 3 British historians being absolutely flabbergasted at why the North didn't just let the South go. :D

Gups

Quote from: The Larch on July 16, 2022, 06:49:25 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 16, 2022, 06:01:36 AM

As for the UK, please Brits correct me if I'm wrong, but the BBC has become much more pro-Tory in recent years, with some very partisan people in top jobs there. As for The Guardian and the Economist, they might be influential but they have more prestige than circulation.

I don't think that's true at all about the BBC. Can't think of a single obviously pro-tory in BBC news.

Hardly anyone is interested in the Woke question. It's basically a few tens of thousands of people on twitter.