Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Josquius on July 09, 2022, 12:28:05 PMThe way labour does it however strikes me as far more organic. Their minority MPs come from and represent seats with large minority populations; the way things are meant to be.

Hmm . . .

I mean nothing wrong with minority MPs coming from areas with large minority pops.  But "the way things are meant to be" - that might point to the problem.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Wtf Wtf?

And you see the problem as being grass roots led?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Josquius on July 09, 2022, 01:16:46 PMWtf Wtf?

Your post reads like MPs should be selected on a racial basis.

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on July 09, 2022, 01:18:49 PM

Your post reads like MPs should be selected on a racial basis.

Why shouldn't this be a factor?
If you've a seat which is half Pakistani British then a Pakistani British MP will have an advantage for relating to them-both in terms of getting elected and doing their job
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Ah minorities can only relate to other minorities?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2022, 01:33:23 PMAh minorities can only relate to other minorities?
On the being Asian/muslim/whatever factor yes.
Or would you suggest a middle aged white guy is the right person to chat about the racism young black women face?
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Josquius on July 09, 2022, 02:19:22 PMOn the being Asian/muslim/whatever factor yes.

Whatever presumably includes white middle aged guys relating best to white middle aged guys?

I mock but your point is not totally invalid.  However I think it goes against the grain of aspirations for a post-racial world.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2022, 02:39:15 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 09, 2022, 02:19:22 PMOn the being Asian/muslim/whatever factor yes.

Whatever presumably includes white middle aged guys relating best to white middle aged guys?

I mock but your point is not totally invalid.  However I think it goes against the grain of aspirations for a post-racial world.

On issues around being white middle aged guys they will do a better job of it than someone who has never been so yes.
But those being pretty empowered factors there won't be so many special issues to be concerned with.

Race is a thing. It would be lovely if the all lives matter protestations of pretend it doesn't exist and it goes away was true...but it isn't. It is valuable to have some representation from minority groups in Parliament, especially when they can speak for a large number of people from their group.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

It implies (unintentionally I'm sure) that white people wouldn't - or worse, shouldn't - vote for people who aren't white.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on July 09, 2022, 02:48:59 PM

It implies (unintentionally I'm sure) that white people wouldn't - or worse, shouldn't - vote for people who aren't white.
:blink:

Yeah, I'm not sure where that comes from at all.

Area with a large minority population choosing a MP who represents that population = cool. Ideally MPs should relate to the community they represent.

Parachuting in a minority MP to a 99% white safe seat so you can easily tick the minority representation box without actually giving any minorities representation = happens a few times and you can ignore it and think they're simply the best candidate without considering race (not that they have anything else to do with that seat...). When a pattern emerges... That looks pretty cynical.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on July 09, 2022, 02:57:14 PMYeah, I'm not sure where that comes from at all.

"Minority MPs come from constituencies with high minority populations, and that's how it should be."

When you make a statement that something is as "it should be", it typically applies that things outside the statement is less desirable.

Two cases that are equally outside your statement are 1: "non-minority MPs representing high minority constituencies" and 2: "minority  MPs representing constituencies with low minority populations."

That's all.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on July 09, 2022, 03:10:18 PM
Quote from: Josquius on July 09, 2022, 02:57:14 PMYeah, I'm not sure where that comes from at all.

"Minority MPs come from constituencies with high minority populations, and that's how it should be."

When you make a statement that something is as "it should be", it typically applies that things outside the statement is less desirable.

Two cases that are equally outside your statement are 1: "non-minority MPs representing high minority constituencies" and 2: "minority  MPs representing constituencies with low minority populations."

That's all.

They might represent the constituency in other ways.
In Newcastle for instance, a super white city, probably our most well known MP is a mixed race woman.
... But she's born and raised locally and is a pretty good representative. Her race is irrelevant.
 She ticks the representation box in other ways than the irrelevant to 99% of people who might consider voting Labour "being white" .

Similarly, I can't think of an example off my head, but if there's a working class local representing a poor area with a large minority pop, then they probably lose a few points with the minority population of that constituency, but can still do a good job of representing them anyway as the mere fact of being brown is only one aspect of the shit they worry about.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Josquius on July 09, 2022, 02:19:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2022, 01:33:23 PMAh minorities can only relate to other minorities?
On the being Asian/muslim/whatever factor yes.
Or would you suggest a middle aged white guy is the right person to chat about the racism young black women face?

Cool, I love being othered.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2022, 02:39:15 PM

I think the 'should' is the fatal flaw.