Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Sheilbh

Quote from: Savonarola on November 24, 2021, 06:12:28 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2021, 10:19:01 AM

The Literature Prize is a lifetime achievement award (because the Swedish Academy is a collection of doofi)

There was concern with Camus winning the literature prize since he was so young (44).  As it turns out it was a lifetime achievement award, but how could the committee have known that?  :hmm:
Idea for a follow up to the Binet novel about the murder of Roland Barthes (which didn't happen).
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on November 24, 2021, 06:12:28 PM
Quote from: The Brain on November 24, 2021, 10:19:01 AM

The Literature Prize is a lifetime achievement award (because the Swedish Academy is a collection of doofi)

There was concern with Camus winning the literature prize since he was so young (44).  As it turns out it was a lifetime achievement award, but how could the committee have known that?  :hmm:

The Swedish Academy isn't all smiles and handshakes and sexual harassment.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

https://twitter.com/OANortonSmith/status/1463492907814604811?s=20

QuoteOllie Norton-Smith
@OANortonSmith

Loved #Macbeth @AlmeidaTheatre last night. Unfortunately this audience member sat in front of me took his mask off when the lights went down and kept talking to the person next to them. It takes a special arrogance and ignorance to disregard simple rules to keep people safe

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

It seems that Prince William has inherited kooky ideas from his father.

QuotePrince William blames African population pressure for wildlife loss

The Duke of Cambridge has renewed his attack on the increasing impact human population is having on Africa's wildlife, despite having been accused of hypocrisy for criticising population growth while expecting his third child.

At the Tusk Conservation Awards last night the duke said: "The increasing pressure on Africa's wildlife and wild spaces as a result of human population presents a huge challenge for conservationists, as it does the world over."

The Brain

He's on record as thinking there are too many Africans? Charming.

garbon

I don't get this. It is a known that pressure on wild spaces resulting from increasing human population is a thing. Where was the attack? The rest of speech not cited? That quoted piece even highlights it is an issued world wide.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Agelastus

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2021, 05:08:38 AM

The Duke of Cambridge has renewed his attack on the increasing impact human population is having on Africa's wildlife, despite having been accused of hypocrisy for criticising population growth while expecting his third child.

At the Tusk Conservation Awards last night the duke said: "The increasing pressure on Africa's wildlife and wild spaces as a result of human population presents a huge challenge for conservationists, as it does the world over."

It's hard to have 2.08 children.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on November 25, 2021, 05:08:38 AM

I mean....Yes?
Its crazy how much the population has exploded in places like Nigeria over recent decades.
Though a British royal probably isn't the one who should be spreading this message.... Though the headline take away is a bit knee jerky 'omg racis' considering he clearly says right there its a global problem.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

If you act as a spokesperson against population growth while having multiple children then you're pretty tone deaf.

Josquius

Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2021, 06:44:59 AM
If you act as a spokesperson against population growth while having multiple children then you're pretty tone deaf.
People having 2 or 3 kids is how you get a sustainable amount.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on November 25, 2021, 06:57:29 AM
Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2021, 06:44:59 AM
People having 2 or 3 kids is how you get a sustainable amount.

Every child counts.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on November 25, 2021, 07:10:37 AM
Every child counts.

Not true. Almost no child knows how to count when they're born, you know.

HVC

Having kids is his job. Needs an heir and spare
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Larch

Hostile environment freelancers?

QuoteHastings RNLI lifeboat crew 'blocked from going out to sea' by people angry at them rescuing refugees
The RNLI has confirmed an incident took place following claims Hastings RNLI lifeboat crew were blocked from going out to sea by people angry at them for rescuing refugees in the Channel.

A group of people on Hastings beach reportedly shouted "horrible" abuse at the RNLI volunteer crew, according to a caller to James O'Brien's LBC radio show on Thursday (November 25). Zoe, from Hastings, told the presenter she witnessed the group blocking the RNLI lifeboat and shouting, "don't bring any more of those home, we're full up, that's why we stopped our donations, and that kind of really horrible stuff." She added: "It was really upsetting, and you could hear the hatred in their voice."

Zoe said she was on the beach, near the harbour arm, with her boyfriend on Saturday November 20, when they "heard the lifeboat station opening up and thought 'oh they have a call' and started watching." She said as the "lifeboat crew pulled the boat out and were going to go into the water", a group of people "stood directly in the line of the boat so the boat couldn't be put in the water."

"Are you sure?" O'Brien asked her.

"I'm absolutely sure, the police were called," she replied. "It really shook me to the core and we thought of it yesterday night when we saw the news that people had passed away again." (A reference to the 27 people who drowned crossing the Channel on November 24. They included seven women - one of whom was pregnant - and three children.)

A spokesperson for the RNLI told the Hastings Observer: "We can confirm an incident was reported to the police. The lifeboat was able to launch and the station remains on service." Sussex Police have been contacted for more information.

On Thursday evening, an estimated 250 people gathered on the Stade in Hastings Old Town to hold a moving vigil for the 27 people who died when their boat capsized.

Last week, businesses and local people were thanked for helping 93 people who arrived on Hastings beach after being rescued by lifeboats in the Channel.

One group - 35 men and five teenage boys - spent two days at sea in a small dinghy before they were picked up by Hastings RNLI inshore lifeboat on November 16. RNLI crew helped them on to the shore near the harbour arm in Hastings Old Town. They were met by police stationed on the beach and later handed over to Border Force officials. Volunteers from Hastings Supports Refugees handed out hot drinks, food, warm clothing and blankets to the group - from Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Palestine and various African countries.

On November 11, local businesses helped 53 people who arrived on Hastings beach after being rescued by lifeboats in the Channel. The group - including several children - were handed over to Border Force officials. In total, 1,185 people crossed the Channel by boat to reach the UK on November 11, a new record for migrant crossings in a single day.

Sheilbh

The main source of that story is someone calling Talk Radio - which is possibly why it's not yet been picked up by the respectable media who are doing fact-checking. I'd note, for example, that the latest in the local paper is that local fishermen have said it's got nothing to do with refugees but was basically small boat equivalent of road rage over the pier. The lifeboats are normally launched on the west side but were this time launching from the east side of the harbour and there was already a fishing boat there with a fisherman carrying small fish to be thrown back to sea.

The lifeboat team apparently shouted at him to get out the way and he shouted back "who are you talking to?" (I imagine the actual words included a lot more "fuck" :lol:) Apparently the RNLI have said they're speaking to the lifeboat teams to be respectful to fishermen/other users of the harbour.

Apparently there was also a lorry driver shouting about refugees but he wasn't on the pier or blocking the boat. But it sounds like an argument between two boats with a lorry drive-by getting involved which I'm not sure is really a story.

But there weren't fishermen blocking the boat over refugees, or a group of people "stood directly in the line of the boat so the boat couldn't be put in the water" (something the caller said) and I'm not sure it's great that call-in report like that go viral online with people like John Simpson re-tweeting it without a bit more bottoming out. Which is why, to their, credit I've not seen this in the respectable papers like the Guardian - yet and hopefully they are fact checking it.

I think that's probably why the local paper in reporting this is also emphasising the vigil for the recent deaths and the recent arrivals in Hastings who are being helped by local people and local charities because they don't want to be painted as a hateful little town - and that clearly isn't a fair representation.

It may be the local reporting changes and actually it wasn't a fisherman being prickly (a fisherman or farmer taking umbrage at being told what to do!? :o), but an anti-refugee mob. But it doesn't look like that's what happened.
Let's bomb Russia!