Brexit and the waning days of the United Kingdom

Started by Josquius, February 20, 2016, 07:46:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

How would you vote on Britain remaining in the EU?

British- Remain
12 (12%)
British - Leave
7 (7%)
Other European - Remain
21 (21%)
Other European - Leave
6 (6%)
ROTW - Remain
34 (34%)
ROTW - Leave
20 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 25, 2020, 04:09:07 PM
So the Lib Dems have endorsed a universal basic income, joining the Greens and the SNP. Labour support UBI trials too :mellow:

Have any of these generous souls explained how they will pay for it?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2020, 08:05:04 PM
So the Lib Dems have endorsed a universal basic income, joining the Greens and the SNP. Labour support UBI trials too :mellow:

Yes. Loads of people have looked into it. Whether it's the best option or not is up for debate  but let's not pretend it's some unthought out "free money yayyy" nonsense. Saving money is one of its key potential benefits.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on September 26, 2020, 02:24:49 AM
Yes.

Would you be willing to share with me how they intend to do so?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 25, 2020, 08:05:04 PM

Dunno. Conference just backed the policy so probably not yet. For what it's worth the Lib Dem manifesto is normally "balanced".

Although it's weird, that was a really big deal after 1992 election, so all the parties were obsessed with fully costed and budgeted for manifestos. In the 2019 all of that went out the window with I don't think either main party caring :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Brexit will pay for all kinds of stuff.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2020, 03:07:30 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 26, 2020, 02:24:49 AM
Yes.

Would you be willing to share with me how they intend to do so?

Heres one.

https://www.thersa.org/reports/basic-income-scotland

Not hard to find others with a bit of googling.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

No need to be sarcastic.  It's a serious question.  It seems to me most people's support for UBI is dependent on someone else paying for it.  The RSA paper that Squeeze linked is surprising because of the regressivity of the proposed tax to fund it. 

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2020, 11:09:50 PM
No need to be sarcastic.  It's a serious question.  It seems to me most people's support for UBI is dependent on someone else paying for it.  The RSA paper that Squeeze linked is surprising because of the regressivity of the proposed tax to fund it. 

Not having UBI also has a cost. It is to counteract the social disruption due to technological and economic change. Otherwise we run the risk of having reactionary counter-productive responses necessary to un-economic things just to prevent their social cost.

If having UBI will ease that immense and disastrous impact, which we are seeing all over the western world. I am prepared to pay significantly for that, because the cost of just letting that slide seem much more severe.

What I sort of roughly want is education, health care, and some kind of food allowance to kids up to 18 and and for everyboy over 18 you get UBI. All other social programs are removed. It is funded through the money currently funding other programs plus a consumption tax for everything besides food and your home (and other essentials).

So I guess the way I see it is: do we want to waste trillions propping up collapsing systems or support people through this with something like UBI?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 26, 2020, 11:09:50 PM
I'm fascinated by the idea of a UBI, or any welfare benefit that people pay for themselves :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

On the brexit topic...

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54316316

Switzerland says "Hahaha no, to ending free movement".
Thank fuck for that.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on September 27, 2020, 10:29:23 AM
On the brexit topic...

Thank fuck for that.

Didn't they have a similar referendum years ago that passed but had to be voided because it was virtually impossible to implement it without cutting off all/most ties with the EU?

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on September 27, 2020, 10:38:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on September 27, 2020, 10:29:23 AM
On the brexit topic...

Thank fuck for that.

Didn't they have a similar referendum years ago that passed but had to be voided because it was virtually impossible to implement it without cutting off all/most ties with the EU?
Yeah I think they had a referendum that ended free movement about 5 years ago. They couldn't implement it directly but instead they changed laws to authorise public services and employers to prefer Swiss residents in areas with high unemployment (which the Commission said didn't breach free movement so didn't impact Schengen or EU-Swiss relations). I remember it causing a lot of issues immediately and then it quietly got implemented as a bit of a damp squib.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Yeah. They effectively made law what is already common sense in HR- prioritise people living locally in hiring.
Already Swiss firms tend to discriminate in favour of Swiss people, especially in the most anti-immigration parts of the country, so it changed little. I do recall it caused some troubles when I was working there though as there were only a limited number of European visas a year so hiring towards the end of the year was problematic.
██████
██████
██████

Richard Hakluyt

Reading some comments on an article in the Guardian and discover that Johnson has a new (at least to me) nickname :

"Pfeffelred the Oven-ready"  :P