News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2024, 10:28:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 18, 2024, 09:47:27 PMReading Wikipedia and found something interesting.  Yuri Gagarin had 265 hours of flight time when joined the Soviet space program.  Alan Sheppard, first American in space, had 3,600 hours of flight time a year and half before he joined the Mercury program. 

It was probably not possible for the Soviets to find a test pilot still alive with more than 265 hours of flight time.

And I believe it is well rumored that Gagarin himself was barely above vegetable level after his return from orbit.
Quote from: grumbler on May 18, 2024, 10:28:28 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 18, 2024, 09:47:27 PMReading Wikipedia and found something interesting.  Yuri Gagarin had 265 hours of flight time when joined the Soviet space program.  Alan Sheppard, first American in space, had 3,600 hours of flight time a year and half before he joined the Mercury program. 

It was probably not possible for the Soviets to find a test pilot still alive with more than 265 hours of flight time.

And Gagarin himself is contributing evidence to that.  :P

Admiral Yi

A waste of resources by a very rich country at the height of its power.  The Mercury astronauts were PR eye candy.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2024, 11:00:02 PMA waste of resources by a very rich country at the height of its power.  The Mercury astronauts were PR eye candy.

Tim will surely curse you.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 18, 2024, 04:47:02 PMAnd you know, Quebec legislature has no qualms about using the withstanding clause.

Yes, but there is no need on this case. There is no constitutional right engaged.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on Today at 12:32:21 AMTim will surely curse you.

Tim is a fanboi doofus.

Admiral Yi

I withdraw doofus.

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on Today at 02:12:02 AMI withdraw doofus.

You've learned well from the Canadian parliament :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

Dutchman builds a castle in his garden..

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2024/0513/1448831-netherlands-castle/

My main reaction is shock he could do this. I thought the Dutch had very strict planning rules. Seems he could wrangle it though.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 18, 2024, 11:00:02 PMA waste of resources by a very rich country at the height of its power.  The Mercury astronauts were PR eye candy.

I ran this through my gibberish-to-English translator and it still came out as gibberish.  What is the "waste of resources?"  What is the "very rich country?"  In what way were the Mercury astronauts "PR eye candy?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Josquius on Today at 06:17:36 AMDutchman builds a castle in his garden..

https://www.rte.ie/news/newslens/2024/0513/1448831-netherlands-castle/

My main reaction is shock he could do this. I thought the Dutch had very strict planning rules. Seems he could wrangle it though.
:lol: Yeah there was a similar case in Britain - the guy had to have it demolished as a breach of planning law:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-36445848
Let's bomb Russia!