News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on May 04, 2024, 10:41:20 PM:console:

:cry:

Series comeback, take game 7 lead, only for a few minutes later tied and lose in OT. Leafs fan experience to a T :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: HVC on May 05, 2024, 12:00:29 AM:cry:

Series comeback, take game 7 lead, only for a few minutes later tied and lose in OT. Leafs fan experience to a T :lol:
May I interest you in: PWHL Toronto?  :Canuck:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

HVC

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on May 05, 2024, 02:30:15 AM
Quote from: HVC on May 05, 2024, 12:00:29 AM:cry:
May I interest you in: PWHL Toronto?  :Canuck:

I'm ashamed to say that if the PWHL Toronto team did better then the NHL team it would irk me some :blush: :D

I would be up for watching/following another team. Say Montreal. Or at least giving it an honest attempt. Give me a little bit to grieve and shun hockey as a "stupid game that doesn't matter anyway" to make me feel better though.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Sophie Scholl

Today is the last day of the PWHL regular season. The playoffs start... Wednesday I think? Toronto is the top seed.  :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

The Athletic has a piece on whether Winnipeg can keep its team.  The article identifies the issues I thought, wrongly, would mean it would have a quick exit.  But goes on to say that the excitement of fans who can't really afford NHL priced tickets can only get the team so far.

Here is an excerpt

As a market, Winnipeg falls short in almost every key component. The population is too small, the per capita income is too low, and there are a dwindling number of corporations with a head office in Canada's windy city.

"But then you get to the intangibles, like passion," Hodgson said. "And Manitoba is off the chart."

Hodgson knows the psyche of the city's sports fans well. He grew up in Winnipeg and was a devoted follower of the CFL's Winnipeg Blue Bombers, the other franchise that holds a deeply rooted place in the region's culture and identity.

For many, like Burnett, the NHL's return in 2011 was a miracle, faithfully prayed for.

Nostalgia and pride alone were enough to sell the team to local fans. For more than a decade, True North was viewed as a savior.

The franchise was able to operate in an "if you build it, they will come" mode, Hodgson said.

But after the pandemic, amid a wavering Canadian economy, high inflation, and growing dissatisfaction with rising prices, stringent policies and a perceived lack of appreciation from the organization, many fans decided to stay home. The magic faded. The season-ticket waiting list disappeared. And the franchise entered a new, critical era.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 11, 2024, 11:44:09 AMBut after the pandemic, amid a wavering Canadian economy, high inflation, and growing dissatisfaction with rising prices, stringent policies and a perceived lack of appreciation from the organization, many fans decided to stay home. The magic faded. The season-ticket waiting list disappeared. And the franchise entered a new, critical era.

As long as the owners can keep it afloat for another 2-3 years, the boat will pick up the wind again and start moving.

Canada is in a bad spot, the entire country.  The smaller markets are hit first, but Montreal has its problems too, the attendance isn't as high as it was pre-pandemic and a lot of tickets are given for free.

Ottawa.  Do I need to talk about Ottawa?

I don't know about TO and Vancouver though.  I suspect things aren't as rosy as they seem and some tickets are given there too for the less exciting teams.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

I haven't watched a game yet in the playoffs, but all I see are clips of dirty hits and near dirty hits or very rough play.

Not encouraging.  :glare:
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

It's a violent contact sport, it's not handball.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.