News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dead Pool 2024

Started by Josephus, December 26, 2023, 09:53:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 12, 2024, 01:12:25 PMRoger Corman, legendary B-movie producer and director. Helped launch many New Hollywood directors.

https://www.lemonde.fr/en/culture/article/2024/05/12/roger-corman-hollywood-mentor-and-king-of-the-bs-dies-at-98_6671178_30.html

I've read numerous books by and about Hollywood, and he appeared in almost every one of them, almost always in a positive light.  Living to 98 with such good innings is a good life.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2024, 01:17:29 AMRight, which is why I am not sure you made a comment about there being a gap between truth and malice.
I thought it was striking - and still do - that in one court you have a finding of no libel because of the defence of truth and in another a finding of libel with actual malice. The gap between those two results seems pretty huge.

QuoteRoger Corman, legendary B-movie producer and director. Helped launch many New Hollywood directors.
RIP indeed :(

Went through a big phase of watching a fair few of his films (I don't think anyone, not even Corman, could have watched them all). Honestly I associated him with 50s and 60s Vincent Price films - I had no idea he was still alive.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 12, 2024, 04:08:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 12, 2024, 01:17:29 AMRight, which is why I am not sure you made a comment about there being a gap between truth and malice.
I thought it was striking - and still do - that in one court you have a finding of no libel because of the defence of truth and in another a finding of libel with actual malice. The gap between those two results seems pretty huge.

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 12, 2024, 04:08:45 PM

But you are just repeating the statement that made me question why you think there is a gap.  Let me ask it this way, why are you surprised that different defences render different results?  And especially in defamation cases where truth is an absolute defence.