It's 800,000 BCE. Do you know where your children are? *burp*

Started by Syt, June 29, 2009, 11:38:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2009, 12:09:36 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2009, 12:05:40 PM
Quote from: Berkut on June 29, 2009, 11:55:53 AM
Indeed. I hesitate to question the pros, but...how can you really draw these kinds of conclusions without lots of strongly corroborating evidence?

It is also totally counterintuitive. One need look no further than modern hunter-gartherers to know that hunting isn't always a totally secure food supply.

The Algonquins, for example, had a cultural horror of cannibalism, exactly because there were so many occasions in which the food supply would fail and they would be tempted to it.
They lived in an environment already heavily effected by human beings however, one would think in the more pristine ecosystem there would be more resources available.

Why? Animal preditors die of starvation all the time "in the wild". Why should humans be any different?

There have always been fluctuations - caused by disease, fluctuations in the foods prey eat, climate conditions. Thing is, your average hunter-gatherer hasn't any means of long-term storage of surplus, other than drying or smoking meat, so even a couple of months of scarsity could wipe them out. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

alfred russel

QuoteJose Maria Bermudez de Castro, one of the co-directors of the Atapuerca project, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, said: "It is the first well-documented case of cannibalism in the history of humanity."

Not to pile on, but this is kind of silly.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on June 29, 2009, 01:19:02 PM
QuoteJose Maria Bermudez de Castro, one of the co-directors of the Atapuerca project, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, said: "It is the first well-documented case of cannibalism in the history of humanity."

Not to pile on, but this is kind of silly.
Seems like more of a typo or translation error there. I'm sure they meant to say that it is the earliest well documented case, not the first well documented case.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Phillip V on June 29, 2009, 01:04:44 PM
God should not have allowed this.
Indeed. I hope this makes the actual news, the fundie response would be funny.
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on June 29, 2009, 03:31:13 PM
Indeed. I hope this makes the actual news, the fundie response would be funny.

If they believe the world is only 6,000 years old, they won't take it seriously,just like every other bit of evolutionary science.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Neil

Anyone who is willing to accept that the world is more than 6,000 years old has already realized that there's no gods anyways, whether they have the moral courage to admit it or not.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.