News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Super WWI!

Started by Razgovory, February 14, 2016, 03:06:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've decided to do a "To End all Wars" http://www.ageod.com/products/533/details/To.End.All.Wars  AAR, but with a twist!  I found out that you can switch between teams after saves (like in most Paradox games), and that you can bring other countries into the war by declaring war on them.  By jumping saves in the beginning and using several declarations of war, I can bring pretty much every country into the war at the very start.  That should make for an interesting game.

Incidentally, Tamas is listed as one the producers of this game, so if you got a problem, bitch to him.

There are three factions in the game and one is really just a sub-faction of of the Entente.  The Western Entente – France, Britain Belgium etc, The Eastern Entente- Russia and Serbia, and the Central powers, Germany, and Austria.  I intend to bring in a lot more forces in early, some historical.  I don't know how this will all work, but it sounds like fun.

So for the Western Entente, France, Britain, Belgium, the US, Persia, Greece, and Japan.
For the Eastern Entente, Russia, Serbia and Romania, and Bulgaria
For the Central Powers, Germany, Austria, Italy, Turkey, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Mexico, and Afghanistan.

Note:  at first I tried to put Bulgaria and Japan in the CP.  Japan didn't do anything and Bulgaria was a bit much (they start with an impressive army). So I started over with this setup.  This will by second full game (the first I played as the W. Entente with randomized war plans and took Berlin in 1917.  For the Super game I will play as W. Entente with historical war plans.

America enters the war

The Boers rise up against the British.

The Central Powers are paralyzed the first turn because I jumped between save games to start super WWI and the AI doesn't kick in for another round.  They begin acting normal the next turn, when the Germans move most of their army into Belgium.  They only make a minor move into the Ardennes which is repulsed with out much trouble.  The Belgian army is able to make a successful retreat into France where it links up with the British.  I'm building as many French divisions as I can and moving the French 1st army south to block the Italians and the Swiss.  I need to hold out until winter, when offensives become really difficult.

The Italians move on Nice and drive back the French 1st Army and the Belgians are driven out of Lille.  The Belgian army is severely lacking in artillery and really can't do much.  I've been pulling heavy guns out of the coastal forts, but it takes awhile and is costly.

In October the Germans swing around my left, bypassing my forces and threatening Paris!  Their offensive in the Ardennes is less successful resulting in a bloody stalemate.  However, my forces have cut off by the Germans moving toward Paris.  If I can engage the enemy I may be able to trap and destroy an two German armies.  Unfortunately the Germans and are moving out of Switzerland as well, and I have fall back to defend both Dijon or Lyon.

I scrap together all the British forces I can for second expeditionary force and the Portuguese army (which isn't worth a lot).

The Rape of Belgium.

In late October The two German armies behind my lines seperate.  One moves toward Paris and is Beauvis and one is Artois.  Both have torn up the rail.  Joffre will lead an attack against the 2nd German Army under Karl von Bulow.  This is a bit risky since Joffre's force is inferior.  Hopefully, the surrounding armies can join in and turn the tide of the battle.  I can't risk moving them and allowing the Germans to escape.  The Portuguese will march on Lille, attempt to delay the Germans hopefully long enough that the Belgian and French Armies are not caught between two German armies.  I'm bringing in as many British units as possible.  Kirchner will bring British command into France, unfortunately his troops are mostly territorials who rate as Militia.  I've raised a number of new French infantry divisions but they aren't organized enough to make much of a difference.  I'm bringing them to Paris.  If Paris comes under attack I'll need everything I can get to save it.  France is  less industrialized then Britain so building medium artillery is more difficult.  It can only be built in a few places.  I also made a raid on Mulhousen and Colmar.  Captured supplies and destroyed some rail.  Not a big deal, but any victory is welcome.

Joffre prepares to move the German army.

He launches a costly cavalry charge, but is victorious.

The American forces arrive.  Not many, some are militia, without heavy artillery and disorganized but they are here.

The Turks begin slaughtering the Armenians.

I continue to attack the Germans isolated in France, and German offensives into north are repulsed.  Germans continue to pour in from Switzerland, the Italians seem to be massing for attack toward Marseille.   I need to crush the Germans isolated in France quickly so I can move forces to protect troops the South.  And while I am wearing down the Germans, the losses continue to be very high.

Joffre deals another blow to the Germans in France.

The Germans assault Lonwhy and are held back( also the Duke of Wurtemburg looks like a vampire.

They come back the next week with another army and push through.

There seems to be little opposition in Belgium, the front line is oddly bare.  While one of the German armies is badly beaten up, another has enough ammunition to fight a major battle.  They can't take Paris, but I need to get rid of them.  I'm pulling the BEF off the front line, and replacing it with the Belgians.  I should have the Germans outside Paris surrounded, and will then launch my offensive at the end of December.  Snow has already started falling in some places, so If I can hold on a bit longer winter should set in and slow down the enemy.

The 2nd British army lands.

Closing the Trap.

The Germans make an attempt at a breakout, and desperately attack the BEF.

The Germans are cut down trying to escape.  The slaughter is enormous.

The Italians push on toward Marseilles.

I have the Germans outside Paris surrounded.  After disastrous breakout attempt I decide to wait till the snow melts before finishing off the Germans.  Attacks through the snow don't seem to be a good idea.  For the winter the men will dig in and keep  the enemy surrounded.

The Germans are marching through the Ardennes and moving on Sedan (which has held off the Germans admirably).  Dug in, and in winter weather I'm counting on them to do so again in 1915.

The Southern Front is more perilous.  Swiss forces have made some in-roads into France, and the Italians are pushing back 1st Army.  I'm thinking of moving the Americans south.

That's it for the first few months of the war on the French Front.  France and Belgium have been attacked by the Germans, the Dutch, the Swiss, and the Italians.  The main German effort has been contained, surrounded and may be destroyed soon.  Depending on how much supply they have left they may be very hungry come Spring.  The Germans in Belgium are passive, they have not assaulted Antwerp.  I think the encirclement of two their armies has sapped their strength.  I also suspect that the Eastern Front is taking more and more resources.  The Italians are making progress in the South, and now the most pressing threat (even if it against secondary targets.)  Britain is arming, and new French artillery is being built.  Every month or more Americans arrive.  Next Spring I envision the creation of a British sector to retake Belgium, a French sector to retake Lorraine, and an American sector to drive back the Italians.

Elsewhere the war roils across the East.  Memel has fallen, and Koernigsberg was briefly besieged.  The Russians also besieged Lemberg but were drive back.  There seems to be some sort of offensive in Poland and parts of that ancient nation have fallen to the Central Powers.  Belgrade has been lost, but the Serbs still fight with Romanian and Bulgarian help.  Edirene has fallen to the Bulgarians, and the Turkish capital may be in danger soon.  Turks have invaded Kuwait, and the Arabs have begun attacking the Turks.  The Revolt in the Desert begins.  The Boers are brought into line and  South Africa is preparing for the conquest of Namibia.  The Japanese still besiege Tsingtao, who's walls are broken but the Japanese wait for favorable weather to launch the assault (German guns have also damaged the Japanese fleet.  1915 will see a lot of colonial wars as British and French forces will conquer Africa the Japanese will take Indonesia and New Guinea.

The World mobilizes for war, the free men of France, Britain and America leave their farms and cities take up the sad mantle of the soldier.  Despite the defeats spirits are high.  1914 saw the free peoples of France resist the invader.  1915 will see those same people strike back, liberate their lands and march into victory, no matter the cost.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Joffre is marshall in 1914?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jaron

Why are there Mexicans everywhere
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 14, 2016, 11:09:58 PM
Where is Sweden!  :mad:

I am sure someone is buying their iron ore.

Norgy

Incidentally, the last time "super" and "world war one" were uttered in the same sentence was when field marshal Haig had some R&R in Paris' recreational district in 1916.

celedhring

Heh, that looks fun. Do the Central Powers have a chance with the US entering the war right off the bat? I guess having Italy on their side helps, though.

Razgovory

The first part of January, spent building new units.  I also get the Arab Revolt going. 

I'm planning a whole mountaineer army along with a Marine army for the British.  Most troops are out for winter quarters.  The Italians are moving around the Toulon, I'm going to have to shift the the Americans down there.  For some reason the Italians are attacking troops in the Alps during the winter.  Not major battles but still kind of silly.

In January South Africa begins an assault in the German colonies in modern Namibia.

In February, my men new uniforms and helmets!

I've also come to believe that I have elements of three different Germany armies pocketed. They are dug in pretty well, But still surrounded.  Instead of getting weaker the enemy seems to be getting stronger in the pocket.  They seem to have brought a lot of supplies. 

In southern France, the Italians continue their drive.  They make some good progress.  Fortuantly they make the same mistake the Germans do and make it attack along a narrow front making it easy to isolate and destroy the main force.  This seems to be a deficiency in the AI.

As you can see cutting the Italians off wasn't difficult.  The Austrians are backing up the Italians in France. 

In April, more Americans arrive, this time they have tanks!  This is notable because nobody has invented tanks yet.

The Italians make a major push in Southern France.  1st Army falls back.

I finally build up enough troops to clear out the pocket north of Paris.  A series of extremely bloody battles occurs.  The British lead the charge on this one.

Meanwhile in the South, the main Italian force falls back and attacks France through another path, through a mountain fort.  Oddly they do push the French back.

A German-Dutch force launches a major offensive in Belgium attempting to take the city of Ypres.  The French hold at all costs.  The lines is maintained, but at a terrible price.

Lawrence takes Medina which cuts off the Turks attacking Aden.  I order him to wreck the rails, and then retreat.

The British have mostly recovered from the fighting in the Paris Pocket and launch a counter attack in Belgium.  I thought I had a picture of the battles stats, but apparently I don't.  The Americans are attacked by the Italians but easily hold them back.

With the 1st year anniversary of the war,  I took some screenshots to show you the three fronts in the French theater.

First the Italian front.  American forces are become very numerous here,  Soon they will be able to push the Italians out of France and invade Italy.

The Swiss front.  Swiss and German forces have invaded central France, but seem to be contained.  I've launched attacks into Switzerland to disrupt supplies.  Not a lot of movement here.

The Belgian front.  This has been the main axis of advance for the Germans,  the British are counter attacking and I hope to retake Brussels.  The Battle of Ypres has left the Germans in the area disorganized and weakened and are hopefully easy targets.

The South Africans have taken Windhoek and the Japanese have take the German territory in Pacific.  They aren't particularly important victories but each victory lowers German morale.  Speaking of which Entente morale is still extremely high.  German and Russian morale is much lower.  This screen shows morale and casualties.  You can see the W.Entente has taken the least casualties and maintains the highest morale.

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Not exactly lighting up the boards.  Is there anyone who wants me to continue with this?

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 01, 2016, 06:59:56 PM
Not exactly lighting up the boards.  Is there anyone who wants me to continue with this?

Me! Sorry I am just too jealous you can get French generals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

I've been reading along on your journey.  I would appreciate you continuing.  I own the game, I just haven't spent the time on learning to play yet.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Norgy

While I may not always comment, I read the AARs here with interest.

Razgovory

Part 3:  August 1915 to January 1916.  I didn't take as many Screenshots as I should have (especially not as many of the maps.  Mostly just battle screens.  During this period, I encircled the German force that had been halted at Ypres and liberated most of Belgium.  In the South, the Americans have pushed the Italians out of France and invaded Italy.

The British push into Tournai in an attempt to encircle the Germans in Ypres. 

In the south, Franco-American forces destroy an encircled Austrian force.

Somehow this German Army gets behind my lines.  I spend several weeks chasing it before it bakes it back into Switzerland.

The British attack Mons, and inflict very severe casualties.

In French North Africa, CP agents instigate the Rif War.

The British army destroys the remaining German forces in Ypres.

The Americans advance on Nice.

Once again the Germans are repulsed at Sedan.

Chaotic fighting on the Italian frontier.  The Americans eventually capture Nice, but a large CP force has captured a French fort in the Alpes. American forces are not able to dislodge them.  Instead, the focus is centered on the Mediterranian coast and the advance on Genoa.

French forces attack the central front.  The battle of Jura is a disaster.  There will be no more offensives along this front in 1915.

The number and quality of the arriving American forces are staggering.  Here they appear with stormtroopers.  No other army has stormtroopers yet.  The only disadvantage is that the Americans bring a lot of heavy equipment and it takes close to a month to arrive from the port to Italian front.

American forces advance into Italy.  There is remarkably little opposing us.  The only thing slowing us down is dragging tanks and heavy guns across the landscape.

In fact, there isn't much opposition anywhere.  King Albert leads his army into Brussels and the French push into the Ardennes. More German forces are pocketed in Belgium.  The advance ends with the snow.  By the end, most of Belgium is back in Entente hands.

The war has shifted heavily in favor of the Entente.  The German numerical superiority is now only 1 to 1.3, and most of them are fighting the Russian.  For 1916, I plan to use the British retake the remaining part of Belgium, invade the Netherlands and hopefully advance into northern Germany.  The I need to build up more French forces to push the enemy out of France altogether.  After that, I can hopefully conquer the Ruhr valley.  The Americans are poised to conquer the Po river valley.  After that, I can isolate Italian border forts and then move south to take Rome.  When Italy is knocked out of the war I can move on toward Vienna.

Valmy

Man. If only Raz had been in charge in 1914 France might still be great  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

If only the Germans had such crap AI.  Finished up Jan to June.  French forces have pushed to Rhine river.  I'll put it up tonight.