News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on May 26, 2016, 04:53:21 PM
Then charge him with a crime and lets put him in jail.

The school can't charge him with a crime.  They can fire him, though.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on May 26, 2016, 06:43:14 PM

I hope if I'm fired for alleged criminal activity there will be enough evidence to actually convict me, or at a minimum bring criminal charges.

It would be a shame to fire someone because there is a massive shitstorm around criminal actions, and it is politically expedient to fire someone in the vicinity of the actions, even though he was not responsible. Cowardly even.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: alfred russel on May 26, 2016, 09:50:21 PM

I hope if I'm fired for alleged criminal activity there will be enough evidence to actually convict me, or at a minimum bring criminal charges.

It would be a shame to fire someone because there is a massive shitstorm around criminal actions, and it is politically expedient to fire someone in the vicinity of the actions, even though he was not responsible. Cowardly even.

Going off of the news reports I've heard, Briles was actively involved in covering up allegations of sexual assault by his players.  If that's correct, then I'd say he was an accessory after the fact, and yes, he should face criminal charges.  But as grumbler pointed out, that's not the school's call.

sbr

Not exactly surprised a fan of the 'U' would have these thoughts.

This is the worst part to me, of course you won't give a shit as long as the football team is winning games.

QuoteIn addition to the failures related to sexual assault and dating violence, individuals within the football program actively sought to maintain internal control over discipline for other forms of misconduct. Athletics personnel failed to recognize the conflict of interest in roles and risk to campus safety by insulating athletes from student conduct processes. Football coaches and staff took affirmative steps to maintain internal control over discipline of players and to actively divert cases from the student conduct or criminal processes. In some cases, football coaches and staff had inapprorpriate involvement in disciplinary and criminal matters or engaged in improper conduct that reinforced an overall perception that football was above the rules and that there was no culture of accountability for misconduct.

Valmy

It would be. But Briles was directly involved in this scandal. It very much is his creation sadly.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 26, 2016, 06:29:09 PM
Hey Val, do you have a link to that one?  Which Baylor board was it on?

This one: http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306919&page=2&p=5428184#post5428184

Fortunately the sane Baylor fans are coming out of the woodwork after the release of that report so maybe the anti-Longhorn crusade has been called off.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on May 26, 2016, 03:47:40 PM
Ken Weasel also finally go his.  Starr has currently just been demoted to Chancellor (a position he already held, as well as being President), but I can't see how the school could possibly keep him even as a janitor.  This was conduct as egregious as any in university history.

Chancellor is a total joke position at Baylor. That is just where they are storing him before he can fired. Definitely a fitting way for Ken's career to come to an end.

grumbler

Firing isn't a matter of criminal charges, it is a matter of employer policy.  Criminal law and employment policies are two different things.

QuoteIt would be a shame to fire someone because there is a massive shitstorm around criminal actions, and it is politically expedient to fire someone in the vicinity of the actions, even though he was not responsible. Cowardly even.

It would be a shame to continue to post non sequiturs in a feeble attempt to troll the board.  Maybe the shame will stop you, but I'm not betting on that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2016, 06:57:24 AM
Chancellor is a total joke position at Baylor. That is just where they are storing him before he can fired. Definitely a fitting way for Ken's career to come to an end.

That's my feeling as well.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on May 26, 2016, 06:29:09 PM
Hey Val, do you have a link to that one?  Which Baylor board was it on?

LOL ok check this out: http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307053

They really think we are like some kind of evil empire. UT lives in their heads.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on May 27, 2016, 07:14:37 AM
LOL ok check this out: http://www.baylorfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307053

They really think we are like some kind of evil empire. UT lives in their heads.

:lol:  Thanks for the links.  Gives me something to do at work today.  Cubeland is a boring ghost town with the three day weekend coming up. 

alfred russel

Quote from: sbr on May 26, 2016, 10:48:17 PM

Not exactly surprised a fan of the 'U' would have these thoughts.

This is the worst part to me, of course you won't give a shit as long as the football team is winning games.

You think I care about whether Baylor wins football games? They are just one team of ~130, which will collectively have a record of .500 when playing amongst itself.

QuoteIn addition to the failures related to sexual assault and dating violence, individuals within the football program actively sought to maintain internal control over discipline for other forms of misconduct. Athletics personnel failed to recognize the conflict of interest in roles and risk to campus safety by insulating athletes from student conduct processes. Football coaches and staff took affirmative steps to maintain internal control over discipline of players and to actively divert cases from the student conduct or criminal processes. In some cases, football coaches and staff had inapprorpriate involvement in disciplinary and criminal matters or engaged in improper conduct that reinforced an overall perception that football was above the rules and that there was no culture of accountability for misconduct.

So:

-Athletics personnel want more power in the university administration. They want more discretion in doling out punishments. That isn't a shocking occurrence at Baylor: that is basically a battle that is universal and it has long been known that coaches have a serious conflict of interest. I used to live in Tallahassee, and I remember the school stepping in when Bobby Bowden felt that running the steps was appropriate punishment for felony robbery. They didn't fire Bobby Bowden for inadequate punishment, and they didn't fire him for whining about the punishments. Either would have been stupid.

-Coaches have a longstanding multiyear relationship with their players. A lot of times they take the role of advocate for them. In cases where there is doubt regarding accusations, I don't see that as harmful. Would you be outraged if a women's basketball coach fiercely advocated for one of her players alleging a rape, only for it to come out that the accusation of the player was fabricated? If law enforcement and the university administration deferred to Art Briles, that is on them, I don't see why it is on Briles.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Because Briles was told about it, did not tell the University officials, and met with the young women personally to intimidate them into silence.  :hmm:

That is not to say the University officials and the Waco PD were not also complicit but come on man. How could that be on anybody but Briles?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: alfred russel on May 27, 2016, 11:30:50 AM
<words>

You need to read the information that has been released.  Apparently the full report (!) will not be released until September.