And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football, 2016

Started by grumbler, February 09, 2016, 06:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on February 10, 2016, 01:07:05 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2016, 12:35:58 PM
But at the end of the day, that isn't really the way to create a perennial contender.

Does Arizona football have the support necessary to be a perennial contender?  The facilities, administrative backing, attendance, etc?  Honest question.

I think so, but then, I guess I am not sure how to tell the difference between that level of support, and just a lot of support that doesn't quite reach that level.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on February 10, 2016, 01:16:36 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2016, 12:35:58 PM
But at the end of the day, that isn't really the way to create a perennial contender.

In order to contend Arizona would need at least need to lock down their home state. I don't get the feeling four and five star Arizonans are staying home.

Granted I am mostly basing that on the fact that those two Scottsdale QBs ended up going to Texas schools. I could be wrong there,

I think that is kind of a chicken-and-egg thing.

You don't NEED to lock down Arizona, since the state doesn't really produce enough talent to really matter.

However, if you were recruiting at the level you need to, you are probably locking down the Arizona talent at least.

The fact that you are not...is not a good sign.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Jim Harbaugh is living inside SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey's head rent-free.  This morning, Harbaugh tweets, just in general, you know; nothing specific in mind
QuoteQuestion of the day: Does anyone find whining to be attractive? Just curious.

— Coach Harbaugh (@CoachJim4UM) February 10, 2016

Sankey then tells the press

Quote"I'm not going to reduce what is an important conversation to some childhood use of Twitter," he said. "This is an important issue."

He's turning a one-day story into a three-day story.  He really should just shut up.  He complains about "...I think it is all in our collective best interests to say out-of-season sports using, in this case, spring break for practice purposes, is not appropriate."  Yet he said nothing when LSU (an SEC member school) last August brought their players in for ten days of practice and 15 days in Australia playing basketball, all out of season (perfectly permissible under NCAA rules, of course, just like Harbaugh's plans for football practice over the last 4 days of Spring Break).

Sankey seems totally oblivious to the obvious hypocrisy of his position (after all, even SEC teams play lacrosse and softball, go swimming and rowing, etc etc over spring break).  So, he keeps shoving his foot in his mouth. I'm loving it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on February 10, 2016, 06:46:30 PM
I think that is kind of a chicken-and-egg thing.

You don't NEED to lock down Arizona, since the state doesn't really produce enough talent to really matter.

However, if you were recruiting at the level you need to, you are probably locking down the Arizona talent at least.

The fact that you are not...is not a good sign.

Yeah, especially since so many of the top players in the state this year were on defense, so the argument that they don't fit RR's offense doesn't apply.  I'd guess the uncertainty over who the DC would be hurt them there, so that might be a one-year blip.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

katmai

ASU it seems wins out with in state recruits more often than not.
I know Huskies picked up surprise signing from one of the top Arizona recruits over ASU, and a lightly rated but Gatorade Arizona Player of year QB whose only Pac-12 offer was UW and had been committed to NMSU originally.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2016, 09:16:42 PM
RichRod recruits midgets.

They prefer to be called "little shits."
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 10, 2016, 09:16:42 PM
RichRod recruits midgets.

He does like those shifty slot types.  That was a problem when he came to Michigan and when he left.  He was able to recruit some good ones, though.

Bayraktar!

sbr

Just in case 17 year olds graduating in December to make in onto college campuses in time for spring practice isn't enough for you, there is a South Carolina recruit who will graduate high school after his junior year and forego his senior year of high school to enroll early. 

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/football/story/_/id/15145944/junior-qb-jake-bentley-join-south-carolina-gamecocks-2016-season

QuoteHigh school junior QB Jake Bentley to join South Carolina for 2016 season

Jake Bentley, the second-ranked quarterback and the 33rd-ranked player in the ESPN Junior 300, announced on Twitter he would be forgoing his senior year of high school and enroll to play at South Carolina over the summer with the rest of the Gamecocks' 2016 recruiting class.

"I am announcing that I will not be playing high school football next year," Bentley wrote in his Twitter post. "After doing some research and confirming with my academic counselors I will be able to graduate this year. Because I can graduate early, I will be joining the excitement of Gamecock football this summer."

Bentley, the 18-year-old son of South Carolina's running backs coach Bobby Bentley, threw for 2,831 yards with 28 touchdowns and eight interceptions last season.

The 6-foot-4, 219-pound quarterback from Opelika (Alabama) High School committed to new South Carolina coach Will Muschamp a few weeks ago and will join another 2016 quarterback, Brandon McIlwain, who is already enrolled and participating in spring practices for the Gamecocks.

The influx of quarterbacks is sorely needed in Columbia. Projected starter Perry Orth (broken collarbone) and backup Lorenzo Nunez (hyperextended knee) are expected to miss the remainder of spring practices with injuries.

The quarterback position was Muschamp's Achilles' heel at Florida, but the new Gamecocks head coach has to be happy with the two freshman quarterbacks he will have on campus in the fall.

While a high school prospect skipping his senior year to play college football is rare, it is not unprecedented. In 2003, John David Booty skipped his senior year of high school at Evangel Christian in Shreveport, Louisiana to enroll at Southern California a year early.

Eddie Teach

So the Gamecocks continue their proud tradition of scooping up Florida's leftovers?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Eh, the kid is 18 1/2 years old; he should be graduating this year anyway.

Anyway, the hype begins:
Jim Harbaugh building a monster at Michigan, like it or not

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football-news/4700700-jim-harbaugh-michigan-2016-season-spring-practice-florida-big-ten-schembechler

Seriously, though, this year's Michigan team could be the team to beat in 2016.  It is upgraded everywhere from last year's team that went 10-3, and has added the nation's best defensive coordinator to the mix.  The defense this year is going to be 1997-level awesome, and the offense could be nearly as good.  The whole team is deep, experienced, and they have utterly bought into Harbaugh's system.  The 4-tight-end set is going to be fun!

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: grumbler on April 06, 2016, 08:51:36 PM

Seriously, though, this year's Michigan team could be the team to beat in 2016.

The rising senior class is 0-6 against Michigan State and Ohio State. Walk before you run.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on April 06, 2016, 08:59:41 PM

Seriously, though, this year's Michigan team could be the team to beat in 2016.

The rising senior class is 0-6 against Michigan State and Ohio State. Walk before you run.

I'm talking about the future, not the past.  Neither the Michigan team nor the opposing team will be the same team that played last year when they play this year.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Michigan and Harbaugh, fresh off their crushing of the SEC in the satellite camp tussle, schedule camps in Australia.

Camps are also planned for American Samoa and Hawaii, as well as at least 18 states.

Bayraktar!

dps

Eh, the kid is 18 1/2 years old; he should be graduating this year anyway.

Beyond anything else, if you've already completed enough course work to graduate H.S., why not go ahead and graduate and get on with college, even if you aren't getting an athletic scholarship?  I don't see any problem with it.

BTW, way back in the 40's, Eddie LeBaron graduated from H.S. and started playing college football at age 16.