Children of Angolan warlord sue Activision over CoD-BlOps II

Started by Syt, February 04, 2016, 04:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/12138020/Call-of-Duty-game-depicts-our-father-as-barbarian-say-late-Angolan-warlords-sons.html

Quote'Call of Duty game depicts our father as barbarian,' say late Angolan warlord's sons

Three children of Jonas Savimbi launch libel suit in France against the makers of Call of Duty: Black Ops II, demanding €1 million and for the game to be shelved

The children of the late Angolan rebel chief Jonas Savimbi are calling for hit video game Call of Duty: Black Ops II to be pulled and €1 million (£750,000) in damages because it depicts their father as a "barbarian brute".

In an unprecedented libel case in France, video game publisher Activision Blizzard is being sued for libel by three children of Savimbi – the founder and leader of the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola, Unita.

Savimbi led a decades-long, CIA-backed guerrilla insurgency against the Angolan government and its Communist-backed party, the Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola, MPLA. He was killed in battle against government forces in 2002.

Although feted as a freedom fighter by Ronald Reagan, Savimbi was a controversial figure. The civil war led to the deaths of 500,000 people with several million forced to flee their homes.

In the first campaign mission of Black Ops II, the player is tasked with helping Savimbi in a battle against MPLA forces. Savimbi is depicted leading his troops shouting "fight, my brothers" and wielding a grenade launcher. In one scene, he cuts a man's arm off.

Carole Enfert, the family's lawyer, said Savimbi is represented as a "barbarian brute - a big halfwit who wants to kill everybody". The lawsuit will argue that he was in fact a "political leader and strategist" and for his name to be "rehabilitated".

But the court in Nanterre, west of Paris, will be hard-pushed to accede to the first request on Wednesday as the game has already sold 250 million copies since its release in 2012.

France has famously strict laws on both defamation and a person's rights of publicity, namely the right to control the commercial use of their likeness.

French law permits a defamation case when it affects the deceased person's relatives on the grounds it causes them suffering or reflects upon their reputation.

The Savimbi lawyers hope this will set a legal precedent for future depictions of real people in video games. "This case concerns everyone: a video game can take your name, your face and cast into question your notoriety," said Ms Enfert.

Etienne Kowalski, a lawyer for Activision Blizzard, rejected the claim, stating that the game represents Savimbi as a "good guy" – and that he is portrayed fairly, "for who he was ... a character of Angolan history, a guerrilla chief who fought the MPLA".

He will also argue that the case has passed the three-month statute of limitation as the game came out four years ago, and will ask the court to uphold freedom of expression.

This is not the first time Activision has been threatened with legal action over the depiction of real people in Call of Duty: Black Ops II.

In 2014, imprisoned Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega attempted to sue the company over his own appearance in the game. Activision brought in American lawyer Rudy Giuliani to defend the case and the suit was rejected by a judge of the Los Angeles Superior Court, under the first amendment right to free expression.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

I guess they are short on money lately.  :P
The Savimbi part on that un-game was the one reason I watched CoD videos. The un-game audience certainly got its cultural horizons broadened with the Savimbi part. :)

The Minsky Moment

Activision should move all its assets to NY state.  We don't enforce those crappy libel judgments.  Because freedom.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2016, 10:58:52 AM
Activision should move all its assets to NY state.  We don't enforce those crappy libel judgments.  Because freedom.

How do the French have the authority to sue an American company?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on February 04, 2016, 11:28:59 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 04, 2016, 10:58:52 AM

How do the French have the authority to sue an American company?

I assume they still have a significant French presence.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I know sod all about Angola, but I once met a Cuban veteran of the war, and he indeed thought that Savimbi was a bloodthirsty maniac - but he would be saying that, I guess.  :hmm:

He thought going there was one of the biggest mistakes in his life, so he wasn't an ideologized moron, though.

derspiess

Quote from: celedhring on February 04, 2016, 05:56:19 PM
I know sod all about Angola, but I once met a Cuban veteran of the war, and he indeed thought that Savimbi was a bloodthirsty maniac - but he would be saying that, I guess.  :hmm:

He thought going there was one of the biggest mistakes in his life, so he wasn't an ideologized moron, though.

Lots of Vietnam vets didn't like being in Vietnam, yet also disliked the enemy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grinning_Colossus

Quis futuit ipsos fututores?