News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Graphic editing software

Started by celedhring, February 04, 2016, 12:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

I need to do some graphic editing for a presentation. I need something with more oomph to it than Paint, but not as sophisticated that Gimp or Photoshop - I feel like I need to be a rocket graphic scientist to use those.

viper37

I was going to suggest GIMP :P

Not my speciality, but looking through a page of Photoshop replacements, this could work for you:
http://pinta-project.com/releases
or
http://www.serif.com/free-photo-editing-software/

There is Paint Shop Pro available for around 100$ too, if it's still not as performing as you like.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Gimp is a fine program, but it's too complicated for me. I'm not a professional graphical editor, it's just that Paint is way too bare.

I've been recommended this: https://pixlr.com/

It has the exact mix of features/user level I was looking for, although I'm not too fond of web apps.

garbon

I would suggest paint.net. More sophisticate than paint but simpler than gimp and photoshop. Not web based.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

celedhring

Quote from: garbon on February 04, 2016, 05:27:45 PM
I would suggest paint.net. More sophisticate than paint but simpler than gimp and photoshop. Not web based.

Thanks, I will try it out.

viper37

Quote from: celedhring on February 04, 2016, 04:58:07 PM
Gimp is a fine program, but it's too complicated for me. I'm not a professional graphical editor, it's just that Paint is way too bare.
same here, I can't find the time to learn a software I use once per 3 years.
let me know how you like Paint.net:)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

Been playing with both paint.net and pixlr. Paint.net does the job well enough but I like Pixlr better, it has some extra tools that I find myself using often. The problem is that it's a web app. Maybe I'm being a bit of a Luddite here, but I don't like web apps.

viper37

Nothing really wrong with webapp.  Just got to make sure you trust the publisher, anonymity is not always guaranteed, so read the terms of usage carefully.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: celedhring on February 11, 2016, 10:43:16 AM
Been playing with both paint.net and pixlr. Paint.net does the job well enough but I like Pixlr better, it has some extra tools that I find myself using often. The problem is that it's a web app. Maybe I'm being a bit of a Luddite here, but I don't like web apps.

I played a little bit with Pixlr.  Its filters are surprisingly well-done for a quick web app (I especially like the Tilt Shift).  Paint.NET will do a lot of the same  stuff, but not without some time spent hunting down plugins.
Experience bij!