News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hillary vs Bernie

Started by Eddie Teach, January 31, 2016, 05:47:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Say you're at the Iowa Democratic caucus- who do you vote for?

Sanders
31 (46.3%)
Clinton
25 (37.3%)
Littlefinger
5 (7.5%)
Sanders, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
2 (3%)
Clinton, but only to make it easier for GOP to win
0 (0%)
Write in for Biden :(
1 (1.5%)
Write in for Trump :wacko:
3 (4.5%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on February 01, 2016, 02:11:51 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 02:06:34 PM
Huh. You didn't reform and overhaul the system when rebuilding it after WWII?

Clearly not enough B-17s were targeted on the water coolers and barbecues of Cal's German compatriots.

Well they were targeted but they missed and hit Dresden instead. Accuracy was not the WWII era USAF's strong suit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

No, why? We even kept some of the things the Nazis introduced. Germany didn't start on a green field in 1945, a lot of institutions were kept.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 02:20:15 PM

Clearly not enough B-17s were targeted on the water coolers and barbecues of Cal's German compatriots.

Well they were targeted but they missed and hit Dresden instead. Accuracy was not the WWII era USAF's strong suit.

The USAF didn't exist in WWII. :whistle:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on February 01, 2016, 01:03:09 PM
I don't think describing Germany's system as "single payer" is correct. ...
True, I was being sloppy in my wording.  What I meant was that the German system allowed for opt-outs under certain very stringent conditions.  I think a US system would probably have to have such an opt-out to get established.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on February 01, 2016, 02:22:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 02:20:15 PM

The USAF didn't exist in WWII. :whistle:

Which is ironic being as that is one of the few times having a separate air service made any sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Zanza on February 01, 2016, 02:21:25 PM
No, why? We even kept some of the things the Nazis introduced. Germany didn't start on a green field in 1945, a lot of institutions were kept.

The legend of the 1980s is that Germany and Japan were able to leverage their 'being bombed into powder' status to reform their institutions on more rational lines and then out compete the victors. Another "fact" told to me as a child shown to be a lie :weep:

Razgovory

Okay, am I the only one noticing that Grumbler keeps saying "Saunders" rather then "Sanders".  Are we all talking about the same guy, or does he have another candidate in mind?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on February 01, 2016, 02:58:35 PM
Okay, am I the only one noticing that Grumbler keeps saying "Saunders" rather then "Sanders".  Are we all talking about the same guy, or does he have another candidate in mind?

Private joke, between grumbler and himself.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 02:48:13 PM
The legend of the 1980s is that Germany and Japan were able to leverage their 'being bombed into powder' status to reform their institutions on more rational lines and then out compete the victors. Another "fact" told to me as a child shown to be a lie :weep:
Unless it was specifically outlawed by the Allies as part of denazification and demilitarisation, chances are it was kept. In general laws enacted by the Nazis were still valid after the war and some of them are still around (e.g. certain tax rules, some parts of criminal law). A part of the Weimar Constitution also was included into our postwar constitution.

Zanza

Berkut

Quote from: Zanza on February 01, 2016, 03:05:54 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 01, 2016, 02:48:13 PM
Unless it was specifically outlawed by the Allies as part of denazification and demilitarisation, chances are it was kept. In general laws enacted by the Nazis were still valid after the war and some of them are still around (e.g. certain tax rules, some parts of criminal law). A part of the Weimar Constitution also was included into our postwar constitution.

That is ridiculous.

The Allies spent incredible amounts of money creating a greenfield for the Germans and Japanese to build on - it pains me to find out that they did not take full advantage of such a generous opportunity.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 01, 2016, 03:01:58 PM

:unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

And I. Don't forget I!
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

?

While looking for a photo of this guy (Bernie Saunders), I found out ESPN's John Saunders is his brother. 

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on February 01, 2016, 04:25:52 PM

:unsure:

She'd get my vote.

As she is not on the ballot, I voted Clinton.