News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

New TV

Started by crazy canuck, January 28, 2016, 05:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 03, 2016, 10:50:14 PM
Viper, what new technologies do you have in mind and what is the timeline for it.  I could live with my old TV that still works for a while.  We dont actually watch that much TV.
OLED, mainly.  It's still very costly and it has a few bugs to squash, mainly on larger tv sets.
It's been around the corner since 2008, one day or another, it's bound to explode in consumer markets.

The LED lcds aren't totally bad, but they still suffer from poor viewing angles compared to a plasma.
I have no idea which manufacturers will make OLED tvs beside LG by 2018.

Samsung is promoting its quantom dot display technology, but it needs refinement.
Here is a review of the technology in Samsung LED tv compared to a LG Oled.

HDR is just beginning to be used in tv sets, and I doubt it's really optimized (and like 4k, not much content yet, and I have no idea is if it's worth it, but maybe Katmai can answer this question too :) )

So basically, I think that for the next two years, TVs are going to be priced much, much more than they are really worth (creaming)  And in two more years, I'm pretty sure there will be more 4k content on the market, so it will really be worth it.

But, keep in mind that I am a difficult customer with technology  :shutup: :ph34r: [/url]
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: viper37 on February 02, 2016, 11:26:31 AM
curved tvs are good for 65" and +.  You need a very large screen to see the benefits.
They are good for a dedicated home theater with minimal reflections and where you sit squarely in front of the tv; it's LCD technology so viewing angles are already bad to being with.

I've only ever seen them in stores, thus optimised for looking cool, but...really?
They seem to me to make screens look bigger thus are cool for reasonably small screens.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

How old was that problematic Samsung TV of yours?

A few years ago my Dad bought a 70 inc Samsung and we had good fun researching which brand to buy before that, extensively, going to shops, looking at reviews etc. Samsung was easily the best and most versatile. Before that he had a smaller Samsung, I took it over after that, it is still going strong, now used by my Grandma :D

I have bought a 40 inch Samsung in England and I love it.

The thing is, it is clearly better than LG but not that much more expensive, it is slightly better than Sony but IIRC cheaper, it has all the features you can wish for AND you can buy upgrade kits later to upgrade the telly to the latest generation of whatever hardware/software improvements they make.

And just in case I missed it in the thread: for the love of god don't buy a plasma. They went obsolete about 6 years ago.

Grey Fox

It might be obsolete but it does better blacks & has better viewing angle.

If all you do is watch movies, plasma is the way to go.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Tyr on February 04, 2016, 07:11:34 AM
And just in case I missed it in the thread: for the love of god don't buy a plasma. They went obsolete about 6 years ago.
they're the best of a semi-dark room (ideally, dark room), movie and sports watching.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Try a non-exploding model this time.

crazy canuck

So the good news is I followed Viper's advise and waited..... long enough for Samsung to decide to send a repair guy out to fix the TV even though it is outside the warranty period.

viper37

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 15, 2016, 11:36:44 AM
:showoff: :yeah:
good for you :)

Actually all the credit goes the Mrs. CC.  Word to the wise, never ever get on the wrong side of that lady.