Businessman buys photograph of a potato for €1,000,000

Started by Syt, January 26, 2016, 09:18:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/photography/businessman-buys-photograph-of-a-potato-for-1m-a6831681.html

QuoteBusinessman buys photograph of a potato for €1m

The picture, originally taken in 2010, is part of a portfolio of images by the acclaimed photographer

A celebrated photographer has sold a picture of an Irish potato for €1m (£750,000).

Kevin Abosch, 46, confirmed he had sold the photograph of an organic potato shot on a black background to an unnamed European businessman.

The photograph, which was taken in 2010, sits alongside shots of Steven Spielberg, Michael Palin, Facebook's Sheryl Sandberg and Malala Yousafzai in the sought-after photographer's portfolio.

Mr Abosch's portraits are typically commissioned for at least £200,000.

There are three versions of the potato print in existence - one belongs in his private collection, another was donated to an art museum in Serbia and the third was sold to the unnamed businessman.

He told the Sunday Times:"It's not the first time that someone has bought the art right off my wall.

"We had two glasses of wine and he said, 'I really like that'. Two more glasses of wine and he said: 'I really want that.'

"We set the price two weeks later. It is the most I have been paid for a piece of work that has been bought [rather than commissioned]."

The Irish photographer's trademark portraits on a black background have been highly sought after among the rich and famous - last week he was invited to the World Economic Forum in Davos.

Mr Abosch said he is not sure what happened to the potato in question - called Potato #345 - as he photographed many for a special series.

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

I could've gotten him the real thing for half the price.  :rolleyes:

celedhring

Thanks to right-click and save image, I now own the same photograph for the price of just a few kilobytes.

Scipio

Separating the rich from their money in a clever way is awesome.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

mongers

Quote from: Scipio on January 26, 2016, 09:51:26 AM

How does that related to two rich people conspiring in an act of conspicuous consumption?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on January 26, 2016, 10:01:29 AM

How does that related to two rich people conspiring in an act of conspicuous consumption?

:huh:

The photographer got rich by separating rich people from their money, and here he produced what the other guy is consuming.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on January 26, 2016, 09:39:01 AM
Thanks to right-click and save image, I now own the same photograph for the price of just a few kilobytes.

That's not really how that works. :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 26, 2016, 10:11:20 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 26, 2016, 10:01:29 AM

:huh:

The photographer got rich by separating rich people from their money, and here he produced what the other guy is consuming.

But by the time of this photograph being sold, isn't that then just one rich person given money to another rich person - which is what m said.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

The photo has sentimental value.  It reminds people of their roots.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I don't think that is what he said, though it may be what he meant.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

I have little doubt that an artist that is able to sell a photo of a potato for 1 mill is already rich by that point.

The Minsky Moment

Chalk it up to excellent sales technique:

"We had two glasses of wine and he said, 'I really like that'. Two more glasses of wine and he said: 'I really want that.'
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017