Would you punish your child for lying to you and getting into trouble?

Started by viper37, January 22, 2016, 06:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 23, 2016, 06:59:03 AM
What if she wants to go to med school? Huge disappointment?

Nope.  Goldman is 10/10.  Merill is 9.9/10.  Medical school is 9.7/10  :hug:

Grey Fox

It is different when teenagers are concern but I try to not let my kids get away with lieing.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

I think I'd just spend my days sobbing that I'd managed to raise such a stupid kid.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2016, 09:45:10 AM
I think I'd just spend my days sobbing that I'd managed to raise such a stupid kid.

Everyone raises stupid kids, cause kids are stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2016, 09:45:10 AM
So, you'd just do what your mom did?  I didn't think you were such a traditionalist.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote from: Camerus on January 22, 2016, 11:44:49 PM
Depends on her age.  Given that she was old enough to rent a hotel room, I am guessing she is around 16... in which case a Draconian punishment would likely be counter productive.  So I guess I would use it as an opportunity to talk about safety and perhaps values.

Yep.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on January 23, 2016, 07:47:23 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 23, 2016, 06:59:03 AM
What if she wants to go to med school? Huge disappointment?

Nope.  Goldman is 10/10.  Merill is 9.9/10.  Medical school is 9.7/10  :hug:

Merrill Lynch isn't an investment bank (at least that isn't what it traditionally does--maybe it has picked up some services). I don't think there is anything special about working there.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Ok, I've just learned a couple things. One, Merrill Lynch now belongs to Bank of America. Two, "wealth management" and "investment banking" are not the same thing.  :hmm:

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Ok, this line is really weird then:
QuoteThis article is about Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, the wealth management division of Bank of America, and Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc. as an independent company prior to its January 2009 acquisition by Bank of America. For the corporate and investment banking division of Bank of America, see Bank of America Merrill Lynch.

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 23, 2016, 06:36:28 PM
Ok, this line is really weird then:
QuoteThis article is about Merrill Lynch Wealth Management, the wealth management division of Bank of America, and Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc. as an independent company prior to its January 2009 acquisition by Bank of America. For the corporate and investment banking division of Bank of America, see Bank of America Merrill Lynch.

Wealth management is about helping people invest.  Investment making is about helping people, or corporations (or whatever), raise capital by getting others to invest in the principals, managing mergers and acquisitions, and that sort of thing.  They are kind of the opposite (IB raising money, WM investing it).

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Merrill Lynch made its name as a brokerage firm, specifically retail brokerage.  Basically advising doctors and other UMC professionals about what stocks to buy.  They had a huge network of brokers, the "thundering herd.". Over time, they got into the investment banking business and by the late 90s they were one of the biggest underwriters of debt and equity deals.  But they got killed in the sub-prime blow up and BOA picked up the pieces, apparently with the aim of scooping up the retail relationships. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson