AZERTY? I thought French keyboards looked like this:

they'd never write "backspace"

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on January 22, 2016, 07:46:57 AM
But in the English speaking world there have been studies to find the optimum keyboard (hint: it's not qwerty) yet we stick with our typewriter friendly keyboards just as we stick for floppy disk save icons

The qwerty layout was designed to slow down typing so the letters didn't hit one another as you typed on a typewriter.  It is the exact opposite of the optimum layout.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on January 23, 2016, 11:41:45 AM
But in the English speaking world there have been studies to find the optimum keyboard (hint: it's not qwerty) yet we stick with our typewriter friendly keyboards just as we stick for floppy disk save icons

The qwerty layout was designed to slow down typing so the letters didn't hit one another as you typed on a typewriter.  It is the exact opposite of the optimum layout.

Stereo. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 23, 2016, 11:41:45 AM

Uh, no.  It was intended to speed up typing by preventing the keys from hitting one another.  That caused jams on early typewriters and  jams slow down typing.  You got the correct information, but you jumbled it in you head and it came out backwards.  Better luck next time.

Now the DVORAK keyboard is designed to be a faster, though there's not much evidence that it actually is.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

I expect any "best typing layout" will be highly dependent on the language being used, so there won't be a one size fits all solution.

Standardization is probably a good thing here.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on January 23, 2016, 04:16:26 PM
I expect any "best typing layout" will be highly dependent on the language being used, so there won't be a one size fits all solution.

Standardization is probably a good thing here.

I agree that standardization is generally a good thing, but am not sure this is true for computer keyboards.  I'm trying to think of the disadvantages to having different keyboards for different language structures (as we do now) and they escape me (cost savings are insignificant).

In any case, we probably wouldn't want to standardize on a layout explicitly designed to be make people type more slowly.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on January 23, 2016, 05:19:12 PM
In any case, we probably wouldn't want to standardize on a layout explicitly designed to be make people type more slowly.

http://www.utdallas.edu/~liebowit/keys1.html

According to the article linked above, it isn't clear that the QWERTY layout was designed with a goal of reducing speed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on January 23, 2016, 05:19:12 PM
I agree that standardization is generally a good thing, but am not sure this is true for computer keyboards.  I'm trying to think of the disadvantages to having different keyboards for different language structures (as we do now) and they escape me (cost savings are insignificant).

It makes them a pain in the ass to use unless you like memorizing multiple layouts. <_<
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2016, 05:34:55 PM
It makes them a pain in the ass to use unless you like memorizing multiple layouts. <_<

Why would I ever want to memorize multiple layouts?  I don't write often enough in languages other than English to need specialized keyboards for those languages.  Right now there are multiple keyboard layouts and I've never had to memorize more than one.  <_<

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on January 23, 2016, 06:02:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2016, 05:34:55 PM

Why would I ever want to memorize multiple layouts?  I don't write often enough in languages other than English to need specialized keyboards for those languages.  Right now there are multiple keyboard layouts and I've never had to memorize more than one.  <_<

You are right, I shouldn't have said you as I don't really care what happens in your small, little world. :o

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on January 23, 2016, 06:09:43 PM
You are right, I shouldn't have said you as I don't really care what happens in your small, little world. :o

The feeling is entirely mutual.  :hug:

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

Ahem, it seems you care enough to want the last word...  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 23, 2016, 06:17:22 PM
Ahem, it seems you care enough to want the last word...  :P
:huh:  Who is "you" in this context, and what word was supposed to be the last one?

Bayraktar!