And we're back!

Main Menu

Are date rape drugs an urban myth?

Started by Martinus, January 19, 2016, 11:22:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2016, 03:42:12 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 19, 2016, 03:40:59 PM
There has to be a reasonable standard though. You can't just say don't get drunk and you won't get raped. That's also blaming the victim.

But responding to what, I think, Viper was saying.  If a male does not want to be put in the position of being accused of rape, they had best remain sober.

I don't think that's sufficient to do the trick. 

Don't want to take a chance of being falsely convicted of rape?  Emasculate yourself.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: dps on January 19, 2016, 05:15:43 PM
Don't want to take a chance of being falsely convicted of rape?  Emasculate yourself.

Objection, your honor. The accused could have cut that off while awaiting trial.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2016, 04:47:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2016, 04:32:43 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 19, 2016, 03:50:32 PM
Do not drink to excess.  If you do drink to excess, please make sure there are sober people around who can protect you.

As a matter of public policy I think we should put the onus on those would might do the raping rather than those who might be raped.

Sure.  Of course.

When I prosecute someone for stealing a car, it doesn't matter if the car owner left the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition.  It is still a theft.

But I still also tell the vehicle owner that was a dumb move on their part.

Really?  Did you just equate a girl who drinks with leaving her doors unlocked with the keys in the ignition?

garbon

A girl who drinks and goes into the bedroom of a frat guy?  Yeah I would equate that just like Cammy P.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

Do not drink to excess.  If you do drink to excess, please make sure there are sober people around who can protect you.

As a matter of public policy I think we should put the onus on those would might do the raping rather than those who might be raped.
I see this mentioned a lot. Maybe things are different over there but it just annoys me.  What guy doesn't know rape is bad? Yet still you get feminists shrilling about how this is the lesson we need to spread.
I mean,  the police don't go around telling guys with moustaches not to offer kids rides in their car; they tell kids not to get into strangers cars.
Teaching someone how to avoid being a victim is far easier than ferreting out those few who don't want to obey the rule and brain washing them into compliance
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 19, 2016, 11:39:28 PM

Sure.  Of course.

When I prosecute someone for stealing a car, it doesn't matter if the car owner left the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition.  It is still a theft.

Really?  Did you just equate a girl who drinks with leaving her doors unlocked with the keys in the ignition?

Getting wasted in public is incredibly risky behavior no matter who you are and not just for getting raped.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Sure.  Of course.

if a girls drinks a lot, follows a guy to his hotel room, start fondling, ask him to stop and he does, is that rape?  'Cause I remember a case where it was...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Sure.  Of course.

Umm, kind of?

I didn't say "don't drink" - I said "don't drink to excess in situations where there aren't sober friends to help you in case of trouble".  And as Valmy pointed out that's excellent advice for both genders.  You guys make fun of me for my fraternity days but those were rules we always followed.  Not that we didn't drink (far from it!) but, unless it was brothers only at the house, when we hosted parties, or when we went out to the bar we always looked after each other and made sure there were some sober people present.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2016, 03:48:37 AM
I see this mentioned a lot. Maybe things are different over there but it just annoys me.  What guy doesn't know rape is bad? Yet still you get feminists shrilling about how this is the lesson we need to spread.
I mean,  the police don't go around telling guys with moustaches not to offer kids rides in their car; they tell kids not to get into strangers cars.
Teaching someone how to avoid being a victim is far easier than ferreting out those few who don't want to obey the rule and brain washing them into compliance

It's not that guys don't know rape is bad.  It's that too many guys think that what they're doing isn't rape.

Earlier I said the line was incredibly easy: "Do you wanna fuck?" "yes" - BOOM - not rape.

But when you don't ask... when you start touching her ass, start removing her bra... the girl says "I don't  think we should", pushes his hands away, says "Not tonight", but doesn't scream bloody murder... well that probably is rape.  But too many guys think it isn't.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on January 20, 2016, 11:32:36 AM

Sure.  Of course.

if a girls drinks a lot, follows a guy to his hotel room, start fondling, ask him to stop and he does, is that rape?  'Cause I remember a case where it was...

Do you have a link?  In particular to a reported case decision?

Brazen

I believe that something like one in 10 of reported cases are actually linked to date rape drugs, but they are often reported too late to gather forensic proof.

I think I may have been given something once when I was internet dating.

barkdreg

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2016, 03:42:19 PM
Anecdote #2

Friend of mine related a story of how she went to the night-club with another friend - also female. Her friend - normally a pretty sturdy drinker - got fall-down-sloppy-drunk after having half a drink that the bartender comped her. A group of guys - obviously together - told the people around her "I got this, bro," "don't worry, I got her," and "she's with me" and tried to gather her up until my friend told them "fuck off, she's with me and she doesn't know you."

Could just be coincidence, of course, but it fits the pattern pretty well.

Seen stuff like that happen twice and know two other girls who claim the same happened to them. So yeah, stuff like this happens?

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on January 20, 2016, 11:39:19 AM

It's not that guys don't know rape is bad.  It's that too many guys think that what they're doing isn't rape.

Earlier I said the line was incredibly easy: "Do you wanna fuck?" "yes" - BOOM - not rape.

But when you don't ask... when you start touching her ass, start removing her bra... the girl says "I don't  think we should", pushes his hands away, says "Not tonight", but doesn't scream bloody murder... well that probably is rape.  But too many guys think it isn't.
I get what you mean. There are a lot of people in this world that fail to see rape as anything more than knife wielding strangers in dark alleys stuff.

Nonetheless the line isn't so clear as you make it.
A few months ago I met a cute Dutch girl in a bar. She was flirting with me quite heavily. She said her apartment was cold and her room mates annoying. ...could she please sleep at mine? But totally not for sex. She said it outright.
Yet nonetheless. She knew what she was really asking. I knew what she was really asking. She knew I knew. And at home I left the bathroom to find her naked in my bed (for the record: totally lucid. I didn't just jump on her)
I can only recall a handful of times in my life where there was an actual "sex?" "Ok" and most of those were with someone I'd been seeing a while.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2016, 12:06:29 PM

I get what you mean. There are a lot of people in this world that fail to see rape as anything more than knife wielding strangers in dark alleys stuff.

A few months ago I met a cute Dutch girl in a bar. She was flirting with me quite heavily. She said her apartment was cold and her room mates annoying. ...could she please sleep at mine? But totally not for sex. She said it outright.
Yet nonetheless. She knew what she was really asking. I knew what she was really asking. She knew I knew. And at home I left the bathroom to find her naked in my bed (for the record: totally lucid. I didn't just jump on her)
I can only recall a handful of times in my life where there was an actual "sex?" "Ok" and most of those were with someone I'd been seeing a while.

A pox on these blurred lines!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Tyr on January 20, 2016, 12:06:29 PM

:perv:

Now the lawyer in me would probably have me jump in bed and say "so, I thought you didn't want sex..."

There's nothing wrong with, and it does not kill the mood, to say "do you want me to..." "I am going to do..." "do you mind if I..."

And personally, if I girl wants to play all coy - I am not into that at all.  Baby, I will do almost anything you want me to do, but you have to tell me you want it.  Maybe even tell me how much you want it.  :cool: