News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy St Patrick's Day!

Started by Cerr, March 17, 2009, 12:29:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Boston has the day off, holiday called Evacuation Day. March 1776, British troops were forced to evacuate Boston during the early days of the American Revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evacuation_Day_(Massachusetts)

Neil

Quote from: katmai on March 17, 2009, 08:03:23 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 17, 2009, 07:59:22 AM

Not at all.  He said he was going to wear orange, a sign of his protestant faith and lack of traitorous guile.  Then everyone was jumping on him about hating Irish people.

Everyone =Martinus then yes.  :D
And Cerr.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

I've decided to take the family to Ireland in July. County Cork with a side trip to County Donegal, and avoiding the occupied areas.

The wife's cousins there are a hoot. They have made English hating a sport.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

saskganesh

well, it's a good day to attack Wales and take home some slaves.
humans were created in their own image

derspiess

I be wearin' me orange as well, Beeb :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

saskganesh

you are also supposed to march around and bang drums. have fun!

derspiess

Quote from: saskganesh on March 17, 2009, 09:28:31 AM
you are also supposed to march around and bang drums. have fun!

I may just do that if I have enough Bushmills tonight :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Savonarola

Quote from: katmai on March 17, 2009, 08:03:23 AM

Not at all.  He said he was going to wear orange, a sign of his protestant faith and lack of traitorous guile.  Then everyone was jumping on him about hating Irish people.

Everyone =Martinus then yes.  :D

Logic does not lie:

A.  Everyone is mortal
B.  Martinus is mortal
C.  Therefore everyone is Martinus
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: katmai on March 17, 2009, 07:52:55 AM
Quote from: Neil on March 17, 2009, 07:48:24 AM
What's wrong with Beeb wearing orange?  The Orange Order are Irish too.

Nothing.

The only one with a stick up his ass has been Beeb.   :P

Sheesh - when did Languish get the stick up its ass?  Of course I'm just having a bit of fun.

I couldn't find my orange shirt, so I just wore black.  And why do I want to wear orange?  I'm half Ukrainian, but my mother is 3/4 Irish.  Irish Protestant from Ulster, and I have it on good authority from my maternal grandmother that back in the day no one in her family would ever celebrate that catholic holiday.

So wearing orange is a celebration of my roots.  If you're Irish Catholic though go at it.  Be proud of your heritage, no matter what it might be.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

saskganesh

loosen up. it's just an excuse to get drunk. if that's all the Irish have going for them, more power to them.

Caliga

I'm wearing a solid light blue shirt today. :-\
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Brazen

Brazen

Quote from: Caliga on March 17, 2009, 10:27:34 AM
I'm wearing a solid light blue shirt today. :-\
Solid? Must have been hard to get on.

lustindarkness

I'm a Rican wearing a green St Paddy's Day tshirt from a 5K I ran in Kuwait in 2006.   ;D
Grand Duke of Lurkdom