The Sound Of One Hand Clapping - Tales From Modern Day Pakistan

Started by mongers, January 19, 2016, 05:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2016, 06:31:00 PM
I think this thread would be better titled - echo chamber.

If only there was somebody with a different opinion on this board who could say something :rolleyes:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on January 19, 2016, 10:35:46 PM
When the perception of the middle ground is that the left is sticking their head in the sand on terrorism and Islamism, and the right is rallying behind fucking crazy people, then suddenly it looks like only the crazy people (who are ideologically only a slight improvement over the crazy fucking jihadists) end up being the only people who look like they would actually DO anything.

I don't think this really applies to the US. The Democrats bomb terrorists with the best of them. The real ideological leftists who put their heads in the sand over this sort of thing typically are not running the show so I don't think that explains Trump.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

I'm not sure why you are bringing reality into the discussion Valmy. The problem with the Trump crowd is that their perceptions are far more important to them than any of your pinko realities.

Martinus

QuoteThose are the words of 15-year-old Qaiser (not his real name)

I am glad they are protecting his privacy, so he remains anonymous among all the other 15 year olds from the same village who cut their own hands off.  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 19, 2016, 06:31:00 PM
I think this thread would be better titled - echo chamber.

Why don't you give us some useful counter point then?

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2016, 11:38:27 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 19, 2016, 10:35:46 PM
When the perception of the middle ground is that the left is sticking their head in the sand on terrorism and Islamism, and the right is rallying behind fucking crazy people, then suddenly it looks like only the crazy people (who are ideologically only a slight improvement over the crazy fucking jihadists) end up being the only people who look like they would actually DO anything.

I don't think this really applies to the US. The Democrats bomb terrorists with the best of them. The real ideological leftists who put their heads in the sand over this sort of thing typically are not running the show so I don't think that explains Trump.

In politics, words and symbols count as much if not more as actions. The fact that Obama refuses to even use the expression "islamic terrorism" (and instead speaks of "violent extremism", which is an almost orwellian case of double-speak) means more than all the bombs and drones. People don't like being lied to.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on January 20, 2016, 06:28:07 AM
The fact that Obama refuses to even use the expression "islamic terrorism"

No politician in the US uses that expression.  The GOP guys say "radical Islamic terrorism.". It's an attempt to square the rhetorical circle.  They can still wink and say - we aren't criticizing Islam.  Just "radical Islam".
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

Quote from: Legbiter on January 19, 2016, 05:36:34 PM
:lol:  :yes:

At least the church insisted on 4 degrees of consanguinity...probably saved the nation.  :lol:

You piqued my curiosity.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/3102152

How wonderful :lol:
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2016, 06:22:51 PM
The downside of extreme political correctness is that it creates fertile ground for people like Donald Trump. 

THAT'S the downside? Really?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on January 20, 2016, 12:33:10 PM
The downside of extreme political correctness is that it creates fertile ground for people like Donald Trump. 

Well, the thought police aspect of it is unpleasant as well, I guess? :unsure:

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on January 20, 2016, 12:36:55 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 20, 2016, 12:33:10 PM

Well, the thought police aspect of it is unpleasant as well, I guess? :unsure:

And the women who have to live life controlled by their male relatives even though they're in the middle of a European country etc etc etc...

DGuller

Quote from: The Brain on January 20, 2016, 12:42:29 PM
And the women who have to live life controlled by their male relatives even though they're in the middle of a European country etc etc etc...
That has nothing to do with political correctness.  Who are we to judge other people's cultural norms?

The Brain

Quote from: DGuller on January 20, 2016, 12:49:37 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 20, 2016, 12:42:29 PM
That has nothing to do with political correctness.  Who are we to judge other people's cultural norms?

You're right. Sorry.