At Least 10 Dead in 'Massive' Istanbul Tourist Zone Blast

Started by jimmy olsen, January 12, 2016, 08:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2016, 04:44:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 12, 2016, 03:39:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2016, 03:30:34 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 12, 2016, 03:27:17 PM
I think those are Australians, not a criticism of you but a footnote.

Another plus, getting to meet the other expats.

Are they Australians, I was just guesing, based on the hats, utility belts and what might be an FN FAL/SLR magazine.

Boonie hats were typical for American soldiers in Vietnam.  I see an M60 Machine gun and a M79 grenade launcher.  Both weapons were used by both nations.  So really it could be either.

Yes. What's tipping it for me in the directions of the Aussies if the squareness of the magazine on the rifle and the way a bayonet it attached, looks a bit like an SLR (or whatever the aussie version was called), not sure that an M16 or earlier US rifle would look like that? :unsure:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

dps

Quote from: Maladict on January 12, 2016, 02:26:20 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 12, 2016, 01:39:59 PM
Quote from: Maladict on January 12, 2016, 08:54:40 AM
I'm planning a trip ending in Istanbul for March/April  :ph34r:
I had been thinking of it for sometime between Feb and April. :(

I'm going ahead with planning for now. The trip is not really about Istanbul, it's just the last destination.

Well, let's hope not.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on January 12, 2016, 05:13:12 PM
Yes. What's tipping it for me in the directions of the Aussies if the squareness of the magazine on the rifle and the way a bayonet it attached, looks a bit like an SLR (or whatever the aussie version was called), not sure that an M16 or earlier US rifle would look like that? :unsure:

Looks like an M14 to me.  Not at all like an FN.

mongers

Is Turkey about to reap the whirlwind of it's dalliance with IS in the past?

If you see what I mean.

Razgovory

Are they Australians, I was just guesing, based on the hats, utility belts and what might be an FN FAL/SLR magazine.

Boonie hats were typical for American soldiers in Vietnam.  I see an M60 Machine gun and a M79 grenade launcher.  Both weapons were used by both nations.  So really it could be either.

I found photos of Aussies using M16s.  Patrols often took whatever weapons they thought best.  The photo says it was Phuoc tuy province was was the hub of Australian activity for Vietnam, so you very well be right.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2016, 07:32:38 PM

I found photos of Aussies using M16s.  Patrols often took whatever weapons they thought best.  The photo says it was Phuoc tuy province was was the hub of Australian activity for Vietnam, so you very well be right.

Earlier found this Australian government website about their involvement in Vietnam, there's some rather good content on it, especially an even handed series of pages about their Vietnam myths, here:

http://vietnam-war.commemoration.gov.au/vietnam-war/index.php

Tamas

3 Russian citizens have been arrested in Turkey in relation to the explosion.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2016, 02:19:48 PM
Well I guess it isn't everyday you get to have people talk about owning you. :mellow:

On the internet?

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on January 13, 2016, 04:33:39 AM
3 Russian citizens have been arrested in Turkey in relation to the explosion.

Chechens or are they accusing the Russian government of being behind it?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2016, 08:24:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2016, 02:19:48 PM
Well I guess it isn't everyday you get to have people talk about owning you. :mellow:

On the internet?

Languish is the most juvenile place I go. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

It's amazing how the Turkish police could identify the perpetrator within a few hours and then arrest 68 people who supported him within a day. Hats off to the efficiency of the Turkish police!

Iormlund

Unlike traditional terrorists (IRA, ETA, etc) Islamists seem to care little about concealing their operations and keeping their networks alive. Or they are rather bad at it. I can't think of a cell that has not been dismantled in days following a significant bombing in the West.

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on January 13, 2016, 12:43:14 PM
Unlike traditional terrorists (IRA, ETA, etc) Islamists seem to care little about concealing their operations and keeping their networks alive. Or they are rather bad at it. I can't think of a cell that has not been dismantled in days following a significant bombing in the West.
I guess when ye olde scum did their bombings they were usually stealthy affairs with bombs placed in bins and maybe the occasional description of "A dark haired guy in a green jacket looking a bit sketchy", not the terrorist running into a crowded area in full view of CCTV and blowing themselves up.

That is something I wonder about- in our modern age of much more efficient surveillance how effective would conventional, non-suicidal, terrorists be.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: Iormlund on January 13, 2016, 12:43:14 PM

They often had some Soviet help.  Those guys were pretty good at trade craft.  When trained, the Islamists seem to get nothing more then some basic technical expertise.  How to use weapons and how build and set off a bomb.  As for the building networks, I think it's pretty much amateur hour.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017