At Least 10 Dead in 'Massive' Istanbul Tourist Zone Blast

Started by jimmy olsen, January 12, 2016, 08:17:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 12, 2016, 02:24:36 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2016, 02:19:48 PM
Well I guess it isn't everyday you get to have people talk about owning you. :mellow:

Anyway, I don't think that would be true about Canada. :D

Well, it isn't like we actually established a price. Maybe Languish couldn't afford you.  :(

Well is it pre or during the cotton boom.....sorry.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Well I guess it isn't everyday you get to have people talk about owning you. :mellow:

If you back even further to the 18th century there were small numbers of slaves.

We didn't have plantation agriculture so the economics were all wrong for mass slavery, but there were a few thousand.   Some provinces outlawed it earlier but slavery as a whole was only thoroughly banned when it was banned in the Empire in 1834.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2016, 02:35:58 PM

If you back even further to the 18th century there were small numbers of slaves.

We didn't have plantation agriculture so the economics were all wrong for mass slavery, but there were a few thousand.   Some provinces outlawed it earlier but slavery as a whole was only thoroughly banned when it was banned in the Empire in 1834.

Which would be more than a little over a century. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

So sad, condolences to the families of Turks and other nationalities of those killed and injured in this horror.

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2016, 12:30:47 PM
Quote from: Malthus on January 12, 2016, 12:16:30 PM
Hey, if he was the right age, the US Government would have given him an all expenses paid trip to visit Vietnam.  ;)

I always enjoy a vacation where you can get out of the tourist traps and really get out there and mingle with the locals.

I think those are Australians, not a criticism of you but a footnote.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on January 12, 2016, 03:27:17 PM

Another plus, getting to meet the other expats.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on January 12, 2016, 12:49:32 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 12, 2016, 12:42:25 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2016, 11:59:49 AM

I bet I could have visited Egypt and Turkey in the 60s and everything would have been cool. Hell I could have visited Afghanistan and Iraq just fine as well.

The reporting and 24 hour news cycle plays into a lot of the perceptions. I'll give you that Iraq and Afghanistan are more dangerous now than in the 60s, but I'm not certain about Egypt and Turkey. There was more terrorism in general back then. I think I would feel safer now in the sense that with mass tourism and the internet I could easily arrange a visit with security the whole way.

Actually I think Istanbul is still reasonably safe.

There's always been terrorism.  The 1960s were notorious for airplane hijackings, for example.

But what is quite different now is the rise of suicide bombers, which were unheard of back then.

I think that's a bit of a generalisation, much of the 60s was relatively peaceful, Daweson's Field was really the start of the plane hijacking and that was what 1968??  (not at all sure on that)

edit:
wonders off to check. 

Oh, it was much later than I guessed, September 70, of course part of the whole Black September crisis; I remember it well now I've seen the wiki.  :blush:

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2016, 03:30:34 PM

Are they Australians, I was just guesing, based on the hats, utility belts and what might be an FN FAL/SLR magazine.

Zanza

Eight dead were from Germany according to our government.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on January 12, 2016, 02:06:29 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 12, 2016, 01:52:05 PM
and most women wouldn't have looked like persons too

Here are women in Afghanistan in the 1960s.

Now I am not a great biologist or anything but those resemble persons to me :hmm:

messed up the grammar there. When I was in Egypt in 2010 headscarves like that on the picture weren't in sight. It was all the post-1979-islamist-dehumanise-the-women-version, assuming they weren't clothed in even more degrading versions.
The clock has been steadily going backwards in the region for decades now.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Zanza on January 12, 2016, 03:49:11 PM
Eight dead were from Germany according to our government.

I wonder to what extent the terrorist was able to pick out germans, of if it is just coincidence (likely). After all, why not try to land another blow on Germany after the new-year-raids.

Zanza

If Germans were deliberately targeted it was to hurt Turkey's tourist industry. One in six tourists there is from Germany and attacks like this always have a big adverse effect on tourism.

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on January 12, 2016, 03:39:01 PM

Are they Australians, I was just guesing, based on the hats, utility belts and what might be an FN FAL/SLR magazine.

Boonie hats were typical for American soldiers in Vietnam.  I see an M60 Machine gun and a M79 grenade launcher.  Both weapons were used by both nations.  So really it could be either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on January 12, 2016, 04:44:52 PM
Quote from: mongers on January 12, 2016, 03:39:01 PM

Boonie hats were typical for American soldiers in Vietnam.  I see an M60 Machine gun and a M79 grenade launcher.  Both weapons were used by both nations.  So really it could be either.

Americans were black.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Do we know anything about the political or religious background of the suicide bomber?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.