News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2016

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 07, 2016, 12:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I've never been to Wrigley.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

I was going to say me either, then I realized I have only been in 4 MLB parks in my life and one of them (Jack Murphy, err Qualcomm) was for a Chargers game and 2 others (Kingdom and old Busch Stadium) are no longer standing.  :D

I am finally going to get up to Safeco field in June, the Cards have a weekend series up there so it is an excuse to see my daughter and my Cards at the same time.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2016, 09:32:37 AM

They give on the field tours and such.  Might want to see if you can do that while you're there.  I know it's the Cubs and all, but still a cool thing to do.  Wear Cardinals gear, go on a game day, talk shit during BP.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2016, 09:32:37 AM

I'm talking about any away game.

MadBurgerMaker

Bautista got beaned by Matt Bush (the same Matt Bush who went to prison for 3 years and is just now getting his MLB shot at 30.  Got his first W in this game), was mad about it, "slid" into Odor's legs, got blasted.

sbr

There was nothing wrong with that slide, even in the post-Utley days.

EDIT:  And Bautista took that punch pretty well.

MadBurgerMaker

^^ Yeah it was an illegal slide, he landed on the base itself

Alternate angles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8kcoNddWJ8
http://nesn.com/2016/05/watch-rougned-odor-nail-jose-bautista-with-brutal-punch-after-takeout-slide/

Odor gonna get a bunch of games off.

vv look closer.  Odor also buzzed that throw RIGHT by his face.

Admiral Yi

I don't see a problem with that slide.

sbr

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 15, 2016, 09:58:49 PM
I don't see a problem with that slide.

It was a bit late, but not worth the punch in the jaw.  Probably just people who got their panties in a twist after Bautista hit the series winning HR against the Rangers last fall.

MadBurgerMaker

They called both runners out even when the throw went wild.  Anyway, Bautista straight up said he wanted to send a message because he didn't like getting beaned by Bush.  Also said something weird about choosing not to hurt him. 

E:  lolz  also there was a 10-15 minute "break" after this, while the umps sorted everything out, then the Jays pitcher immediately drilled Prince Fielder (who probably swung at it anyway) and they all went back out there again, minus these two, of course.

Admiral Yi

The second view, along the base path, looks worse.

Admiral Yi

Also, that was a beautiful right cross, but then Odor threw it away by following with a left glove slap.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 15, 2016, 10:18:22 PM
Also, that was a beautiful right cross, but then Odor threw it away by following with a left glove slap.

He damn near got someone else with another right cross later in the melee.  Beltre was holding on to Bautista away from everyone, but...Donaldson, I think?...basically stuck his face out right in front of Odor while trying to get to him.  It looked like he only got maybe the end of his nose or something.  Hard to tell though.

E:  Yeah must have been Donaldson, he got ejected too.

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 15, 2016, 10:16:32 PM
The second view, along the base path, looks worse.

He got plunked.  If plunking batters is acceptable, then his sorta-late slide is as well. 

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 15, 2016, 02:24:16 PM
I'm talking about any away game.

Ah, I usually wear my Cards hat to Reds games, regardless of who the Reds are playing.  Two or three years ago I'd get some nasty comments from Reds fans here & there, but as the Reds have faded it's more of a soft reaction.  Except from my friends, of course.  I have several low-grade baseball feuds going.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on May 15, 2016, 11:06:17 PM
He got plunked.  If plunking batters is acceptable, then his sorta-late slide is as well. 

Is it acceptable?  Because there were warnings and more ejections for that.  I also like how we're talking about it being "sorta" or "a bit" late when the dude landed on the damn bag and Odor had to pull his leg (which was behind the base, and he wasn't actually touching it, I don't think) up to avoid the guy's entire fucking body, which continued for several feet beyond the bag. 

Odor shouldn't have blasted him, because that was just dumb and now the Rangers are down a 2B for however long, but c'mon now.  If that's "sorta late," Bush only threw the pitch a "little inside" when he popped Bautista in the ribs to begin with, so maybe he should have just stfu.