News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball 2016

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 07, 2016, 12:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

The game has created a system where Starter stop at around the 5th if that inning is not going perfectly or earlier if 100 pitches come creeping in quickly and than use a new pitcher in almost every inning where they'll throw ~15 pitches each.

However, that is harder to achieve in the playoffs since your number of pitcher is severely cut down.

Also, it appears that Maddon didn't trust any of relievers until he didn't have any choice to use them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: alfred russel on November 03, 2016, 09:26:27 PM
No worries, I hear they are bringing it back next year.  :P

Too long.  I demand new playoffs beginning immediately.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 03, 2016, 08:41:06 PM
I only watched about 7 innings of the game last night, and that was all of the playoff baseball I watched this year.  And now I want to see more.  Dammit.    <_<

OOTP is on sale.  Virtualize it.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PRC

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 04, 2016, 09:52:25 AM
Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on November 03, 2016, 08:41:06 PM
I only watched about 7 innings of the game last night, and that was all of the playoff baseball I watched this year.  And now I want to see more.  Dammit.    <_<

I keep thinking I should try OOTP along with the hockey Franchise Manager games. 

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on November 04, 2016, 09:52:25 AM

:hmm:  I had forgotten about that.  Nice.

dps

Well, only about 3 month till the World Baseball Classic.

Barrister

Quote from: dps on November 05, 2016, 12:17:24 PM

There's a WBC next year? Cool.  I know it doesn't get a lot of respect, but I think they're kind of fun. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on November 05, 2016, 06:22:56 PM
Quote from: dps on November 05, 2016, 12:17:24 PM

There's a WBC next year? Cool.  I know it doesn't get a lot of respect, but I think they're kind of fun. :)

Yeah, they don't have the exact dates up on their website yet, but it's next year.  The last of the qualifiers finished up back in September.  The four teams that made it through qualifiers are Argentina, Mexico, Columbia, and Israel. 

Bet it hurts the Mexican's that they had to go through qualifiers.

The Minsky Moment

Some controversy over AL Cy Young, where Verlander had the most first place votes but lost because he didn't get good downballot support from others - and 2 people left him off entirely.

But . . . it was genuinely a weird year with at least 6-7 guys legit candidates.  Leaving out Verlander while a bit sketchy is not totally inexplicable.  In particular Bill Chastain's heavily criticized ballot of Porcello-Britton-Kluber-Sale-Tanaka, while IMO suboptimal, is justifable.  (although the writer that left off Verlander for Happ and Sanchez, less so).

Personally I would've gone Kluber on the theory that in a really close race you go with the best pitcher on the list as opposed to the good pitcher having a bit of a fluky year (the Mike Flanagan effect).   But Porcello is perfectly good choice, good for him.

In the NL i was a little suprised Jose Fernandez didn't get more of a sympathy vote, but again I can't fault the choice.

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

PRC

Kate Upton had a tweet saying: What the hell MLB!?  I'm the only person allowed to fuck Verlander.

Valmy

Seems to me that Porcello got the award mostly due to his win-loss record which is weird in this day and age. I thought people had mostly decided that stat was no longer a big deal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2016, 08:43:51 AM
Seems to me that Porcello got the award mostly due to his win-loss record which is weird in this day and age. I thought people had mostly decided that stat was no longer a big deal.

There's a slight backlash on that in parts of the stathead world: Bill James recently published a piece on his site arguing they did have some value, although less so over a single season.

Porcello had a genuinely good year, aside from the W-L record, he lead the league in K-W ratio and had the second best WHIP (tiny bit worse than Verlander), second in FIP, second in adjusted ERA+, tied for first in fWAR.

Just based on non W-L numbers alone, he is clearly deserving.  Although so are a bunch of other guys.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

I meant that that was the thing that primarily distinguished him from Verlander but fair enough.

Damn. It has only been two weeks since the World Series ended and I am already getting excited for College Baseball to start :blush:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on November 18, 2016, 11:52:37 AM
Damn. It has only been two weeks since the World Series ended and I am already getting excited for College Baseball to start :blush:

I'm not very enthused by college football this year either.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?