Non-fiction Entertainment Influencing Your View Of the World?

Started by mongers, December 30, 2015, 02:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I just saw the Making a Murder thing on NetFlix.  The way cops elicited a confession out of a retarded teenager was a bit of an eye opener.  Also the way the kid's lawyer colluded with the prosecutor bothered me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Hilarious, maybe I shouldn't have started a thread whilst working on a couple of other things, seams I inadvertently typed non-fiction when I meant fiction. :blush:   :rolleyes:

So my new year's resolution is to be more 'careful' with my threads.  :Embarrass:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on December 31, 2015, 12:56:45 PM
I just saw the Making a Murder thing on NetFlix.  The way cops elicited a confession out of a retarded teenager was a bit of an eye opener.  Also the way the kid's lawyer colluded with the prosecutor bothered me.

I watched episodes of Forensic Files, and resolved to be more careful in the future.

;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on December 30, 2015, 10:32:15 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 30, 2015, 10:15:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 30, 2015, 02:32:04 PM
How far has non-fiction entertainment, be that novel, film or other media, influenced your view of the world or how you interact with it and other people?

What

Has your point of view been altered by watching or listening to the likes of Glen Beck, Ann Coulter, Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, Rachel Maddow, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage and others who deal in real-world events and politics but declare that they are entertainers rather than journalists?

Sure
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on December 31, 2015, 01:10:50 PM
Hilarious, maybe I shouldn't have started a thread whilst working on a couple of other things, seams I inadvertently typed non-fiction when I meant fiction. :blush:   :rolleyes:

So my new year's resolution is to be more 'careful' with my threads.  :Embarrass:

These other things came in bottles, right?

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Quote from: Malthus on December 31, 2015, 01:21:51 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 31, 2015, 12:56:45 PM

I watched episodes of Forensic Files, and resolved to be more careful in the future.

;)

:D

Razgovory

Maybe you should start a new one.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on January 03, 2016, 02:18:43 PM

Maybe you should start a new one.

Raz, you do it; don't know if it's a good question, but it's a lot better than the one I accidentally posed in this thread.  :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on December 30, 2015, 10:32:15 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on December 30, 2015, 10:15:51 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 30, 2015, 02:32:04 PM
How far has non-fiction entertainment, be that novel, film or other media, influenced your view of the world or how you interact with it and other people?

What

Has your point of view been altered by watching or listening to the likes of Glen Beck, Ann Coulter, Stephen Colbert, Jon Stewart, Rachel Maddow, Sean Hannity, Michael Savage and others who deal in real-world events and politics but declare that they are entertainers rather than journalists?

Has Maddow declared herself an entertainer rather than a journalist? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.