Started by Josephus, December 28, 2015, 09:07:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Sad. Was just thinking of going to see them in a few months too
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Hopefully they have been able to find what the hell he had in his DNA to make him almost impervious to hard partying.

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on December 29, 2015, 07:35:53 AM
Hopefully they have been able to find what the hell he had in his DNA to make him almost impervious to hard partying.

Scientists are working on splicing his genes with Keith Richards' and looking for immortality
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

Quote from: Josephus on December 29, 2015, 09:05:31 AM
Quote from: The Larch on December 29, 2015, 07:35:53 AM

Scientists are working on splicing his genes with Keith Richards' and looking for immortality

:D
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Lots of tributes flowing in:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-35193376

Ozzy Osbourne was among those to pay tribute on social media.

He tweeted: "Lost one of my best friends, Lemmy, today. He will be sadly missed. He was a warrior and a legend.

Alice Cooper said: "I will see you on the other side. When we say 'one of a kind' in rock'n'roll, Lemmy was the epitome of that - one of the most beloved characters in rock'n'roll.

"I can't think of anyone who didn't adore Lemmy; you can't say 'heavy metal' without mentioning Lemmy.

"Rock'n roll heaven just got heavier."

Queen's Brian May described Lemmy as "our utterly unique friend".

Metallica tweeted: "Lemmy, you are one of the primary reasons this band exists. We're forever grateful for all of your inspiration.''

Kiss star Gene Simmons said: "Lemmy: Rest In Peace. Shake the heavens, my friend."

Nikki Sixx said Lemmy was "a pillar of dignity".

Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan added: "Rest In Peace Lemmy. A hell of a man who suffered no fools.

"U shall be missed brother, and, THANK u 4 the years of unwavering kick ass R&R."

And Rage Against the Machine's Tom Morello described Lemmy as "a true rock icon".

Black Sabbath founding member Geezer Butler said: "Very sad to hear of Lemmy's passing. We've lost a true, true legend. RIP."

Aerosmith drummer Joey Kramer added: "RIP #Lemmy heaven is Rockin tonight."

And the band's Joe Perry also paid his respects on Twitter: "RIP Lemmy. A true rocker from beginning to end. We'll all see you there, soon enough."

Rock band Judas Priest also paid tribute: "Words about Lemmy can never be enough so we will simply say farewell Lord Lemmy, thank you for the music, the shows."

Hawkwind's Dave Brock tweeted: "Lemmy was a gentleman & a friend. I'll miss our eccentric text conversations.We had that magic when we played together.His legend lives on."

It's true Lemmy and DB were the hypnotic rhythm section that drove Hawkwind during their peak years.

The Brain

I shall wear all my Nazi stuff when I go out tonight as a tribute.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

lustindarkness

Rock'n roll heaven just got heavier.

Shake the heavens,

heaven is Rockin tonight.

If there is such a thing, he is the one to make it rock.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on December 29, 2015, 09:34:13 AM

Ozzy Osbourne was among those to pay tribute on social media.

He tweeted: "Lost one of my best friends, Lemmy, today. He will be sadly missed. He was a warrior and a legend.

Alice Cooper said: "I will see you on the other side. When we say 'one of a kind' in rock'n'roll, Lemmy was the epitome of that - one of the most beloved characters in rock'n'roll.

"I can't think of anyone who didn't adore Lemmy; you can't say 'heavy metal' without mentioning Lemmy.

"Rock'n roll heaven just got heavier."

Queen's Brian May described Lemmy as "our utterly unique friend".

Metallica tweeted: "Lemmy, you are one of the primary reasons this band exists. We're forever grateful for all of your inspiration.''

Kiss star Gene Simmons said: "Lemmy: Rest In Peace. Shake the heavens, my friend."

Nikki Sixx said Lemmy was "a pillar of dignity".

Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan added: "Rest In Peace Lemmy. A hell of a man who suffered no fools.

"U shall be missed brother, and, THANK u 4 the years of unwavering kick ass R&R."

And Rage Against the Machine's Tom Morello described Lemmy as "a true rock icon".

Black Sabbath founding member Geezer Butler said: "Very sad to hear of Lemmy's passing. We've lost a true, true legend. RIP."

Aerosmith drummer Joey Kramer added: "RIP #Lemmy heaven is Rockin tonight."

And the band's Joe Perry also paid his respects on Twitter: "RIP Lemmy. A true rocker from beginning to end. We'll all see you there, soon enough."

Rock band Judas Priest also paid tribute: "Words about Lemmy can never be enough so we will simply say farewell Lord Lemmy, thank you for the music, the shows."

Hawkwind's Dave Brock tweeted: "Lemmy was a gentleman & a friend. I'll miss our eccentric text conversations.We had that magic when we played together.His legend lives on."

It's true Lemmy and DB were the hypnotic rhythm section that drove Hawkwind during their peak years.

Wasn't he kicked from Hawkwind because of his drug habit? You have to be really fucked up to get kicked from a 70s psychodelic band because of your drug habit :D

Loved the dude, can't deny he had a great run all things considered. RIP.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on December 29, 2015, 02:44:06 PM
Quote from: mongers on December 29, 2015, 09:34:13 AM

Wasn't he kicked from Hawkwind because of his drug habit? You have to be really fucked up to get kicked from a 70s psychodelic band because of your drug habit :D

Loved the dude, can't deny he had a great run all things considered. RIP.

IIRC it was more because he and another member, either Del Dettmar or Dik Mik were both speedfreaks and that clashed with most of the other band members who tended as you say to be into LSD and psychedelic drugs. So the two drug tribes weren't that compatible.  :cool:

mongers

Rather thorough Obituary for the BBC, worth a read:

Obituary: Lemmy, Motorhead frontman
29 December 2015

Lemmy, who has died aged 70 after being diagnosed with cancer, was the frontman and only constant member of Motorhead, one of the loudest bands in rock music.

He was also something of a rock legend, his mutton-chop whiskers, facial wart and high microphone position making him one of the most recognisable figures in the business.

He is credited with introducing punk sounds into the heavy metal mix, paving the way for a generation of thrash metal and speed metal followers.

Offstage he gained a reputation for a prodigious intake of drugs and alcohol as well as a sex life as frantic as his music.

Lemmy was born Ian Fraser Kilmister in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, on 24 December 1945.

His father, a former chaplain in the Royal Air Force, separated from his mother when Lemmy was just three months old.

"I don't recall what my first word was," he later told the Seattle Times. "But it was very loud."

The young Kilmister acquired the nickname Lemmy while at school, although he purported to have no idea where it came from.

It was later suggested that it referred to his constant pleas to "Lemmy a quid until Friday," as he struggled to service a growing addiction to slot machines.

Full article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24806076

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

Lemmy (r) with Hawkwind

The definitive Motorhead line-up. (L to R) Lemmy, Taylor, Clarke

mongers

Lemmy on a chopper with the legendary Stacia riding pillion, I'd guess from around 73-74, the dube in the American classic car is Nik Turner, who's a true eccentric and a great guy to chat with, not what you'd expect.

mongers

Lemmy in his own words:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03fvg7y/lemmy-in-his-own-words

For some reason most of the music footage is from BBC Top of the Pop 'recordings'.  :hmm: