Austrian radio host plays "Last Christmas" 24 times in a row

Started by Syt, December 21, 2015, 05:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I hear he is going to be tried in The Hague for crimes against humanity.

http://www.thelocal.at/20151221/radio-host-plays-wham-song-24-times-in-a-row

QuoteRadio host plays Wham song 24 times in a row

An Austrian radio station was flooded with complaints after one of its DJs barricaded himself in the studio so he could play the Wham song Last Christmas non-stop.

Antenne Carinthia presenter Joe Kohlhofer, 27, started his 8:00am show by telling listeners that he felt people in the area were not in the Christmas spirit.

As a result, he said he felt a Christmas overdose was in order, and that meant playing Last Christmas non-stop for his entire two-hour show - an incredible 24 times.

According to the radio station he did not have permission for the stunt, and barricaded the door to stop anybody getting in. He then continued to broadcast the song until 10:00am when he opened the door to let his colleagues in.

Until then, they could only look through the glass windows of the studio as the song played repeatedly.

The station confirmed that hundreds of angry calls flooded the telephone lines complaining about the non-stop broadcast, and when it did not stop they took to social media to voice their annoyance.

The unplanned stunt could have another consequence after it was revealed that it was probably the longest ever broadcast of Last Christmas after it was played 24 times in the two hours available.

The presenter who had been taking calls live on air from disgruntled viewers admitted he decided to stop early after getting a call from his daughter Leonie Michelle, aged four, who also wanted him to stop playing the song.

He said: "I wanted to play it all day, but because I love my daughter so much I gave in to her request."

Three years ago in Baden-Württemberg in Germany a presenter staged a similar action but only managed to play Last Christmas 14 times before he was taken off air.

I remember when the song came out - my then teenage sister was a huge Wham!/George Michael fan. The video was going to be shown for the first time on German TV and she was extremely hyped for it.

A few minutes before it came on, our Dad switched the channel to watch the news, and my sister missed it. She didn't talk to Dad for two weeks.

Of course we couldn't suspect at the time that it would become one of the most overplayed and abnoxious Christmas songs ever.

Do you have any stories about the Christmas songs in your lives? :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

On the radioshow I listen to they play Low -Just Like Christmas every day in December. It's quite good so I don't mind.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

Liep

Quote from: Monoriu on December 21, 2015, 05:31:01 AM
Last Christmas is a good song.

I don't really understand the hate this song gets, I think it's very Christmas-y. All Christmas songs are over played.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Martinus

Yeah, Last Christmas and All I Want For Christmas are pretty decent as pop songs go.

Drakken

Could have been worse : Do They Know it's Christmas played non-stop for hours.  :wacko:

Norgy

Quote from: Drakken on December 21, 2015, 09:22:20 AM
Could have been worse : Do They Know it's Christmas played non-stop for hours.  :wacko:

Both should be on the UN illegal arms list. I'd rather take a cluster bomb down the chimney that 24 times of "Last Christmas".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Norgy on December 21, 2015, 11:26:46 AM

Both should be on the UN illegal arms list. I'd rather take a cluster bomb down the chimney that 24 times of "Last Christmas".

The cluster bomb can't be disarmed by pressing a switch on your radio/phone/computer/whatever though.

It seems a rather harmless prank IMO.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Its sad that nothing ever shakes those old christmas songs from their "play it forever" position on the playlist.
Christmas songs do still happen and sometimes they're pretty OK.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on December 21, 2015, 01:35:54 PM
Quote from: Norgy on December 21, 2015, 11:26:46 AM

The cluster bomb can't be disarmed by pressing a switch on your radio/phone/computer/whatever though.

It seems a rather harmless prank IMO.

You'd be surprised at my MacGyverist skill-set.

Valmy

If it was Malthus it would have been 'Fairy Tale of New York' 24 times in row -_-
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?