News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

It's the clock kid all over again.

Started by jimmy olsen, December 20, 2015, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Well, they seem to be pretty much automatic when it comes to bomb threats: The school calls the cops.  Setting off fireworks in the shitter would most likely get the cops called on you too.  Anyway, I don't see a whole lot from the cops about anything in your article.  Are we just going with what the family says?   Looks like he was in juvie because he was waiting over the weekend to see a judge or JP or whoever handles this shit, and he got an ankle monitor and is under house arrest after seeing that judge?  Hm.

As it stands right now, I personally don't think he should have necessarily gone to juvie, although it was more of a waiting for processing on a weekend thing vs just being thrown in a cell because fuck you, but then again I'm finding it really really hard to care about someone dumb enough to talk about blowing up a school spending some time in the can and probably ending up in alternative school after his suspension is over.   He can still be a mechanical engineer if that happens.  Now, if some of the stuff I've seen is true, about him saying he's going to blow it up at this time on this day etcetcetc, that's.....pretty different, and maybe has something to do with house arrest and ankle monitors.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 22, 2015, 01:45:30 PM
Well, they seem to be pretty much automatic when it comes to bomb threats: The school calls the cops.  Setting off fireworks in the shitter would most likely get the cops called on you too.  Anyway, I don't see a whole lot from the cops about anything in your article.  Are we just going with what the family says?   He did get an ankle monitor though when he was released, so, what, was he waiting in juvie over the weekend to see a judge or JP or whoever takes care of this shit?

The police are quoted, they admit to the interrogation, they do not claim to have contacted the parents which they are legally required to do, but there is a reference to the school officials calling them.  Now it's possible the police did try to contact the parents and didn't mention it to the press or that the press botched the story but so far based on what is reported there is the parents claiming not to have getting the call and the PD not refuting it.  As for the questioning, it is in theory permissible to do do limited questioning under exigent circumstances for public safety.  But Arlington PD is now using this the fruits of this questioning as a "confession" when it seems pretty obvious that it flunks the constitutional voluntariness standards.  And to use it to justify a three day pre-hearing detention that seems to have had no legit purpose other than to "scare straight" some 12 year old.

It's possible that  Arlington PD is even more incompetent at PR than they appear to be at policing or that the local papers all have it in for Arlington PD and we are getting a anti-PD slant.  But based on what was reported so far, even if I assume both the kid and his parents are pants on fire liars (which I have no reason to think) it still looks bad for the PD
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadBurgerMaker

So we haven't heard anything about the cops being a bunch of unconstitutional shitbags from the family lawyer?  Again, this all went down on the 11th/that weekend, and everything seems to just be quotes from the family themselves.  Where is the lawyer going "They interrogated a kid in a room by himself before his parents even knew he was there"?  Because that would make some great headline material, and really seems like that would be something a lawyer would immediately point out to....someone.  Like even a judge, maybe? 

E:  Do they even have a lawyer?  The article doesn't seem to mention one.  They really should get one if not.   :huh:   But seriously, if this went down, why aren't these journalists (or bloggers or whatever), or anyone aside from random internet people, pointing this out? 

Admiral Yi

Joan, where are you getting the claim from the parents about not being contacted by the police from?  All I can see is them saying they asked the principle and he told them he didn't know where the kid was.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 22, 2015, 01:45:30 PM
Well, they seem to be pretty much automatic when it comes to bomb threats: The school calls the cops.  Setting off fireworks in the shitter would most likely get the cops called on you too.  Anyway, I don't see a whole lot from the cops about anything in your article.  Are we just going with what the family says?   He did get an ankle monitor though when he was released, so, what, was he waiting in juvie over the weekend to see a judge or JP or whoever takes care of this shit?

As it stands right now, I personally don't think he should have necessarily gone to juvie, but then again I'm finding it really really hard to care about someone dumb enough to talk about blowing up a school spending some time in the can and probably ending up in alternative school after his suspension is over.  Now, if some of the stuff I've seen is true, about him saying he's going to blow it up at this time on this day etcetcetc, that's.....pretty different.

When there is an actual bomb threat, then calling the cops is automatic.  When a student reports to a teacher that another student said he had a bomb, it's not so automatic.  Lots of other considerations come into play, like the credibility and character of the two students involved.

You are making an awful lot of unwarranted assumptions here; for instance, that the kid communicated a threat to "blow up the school," either in jest or not (we have no evidence that he did any such thing).   

But then again I'm finding it really really hard to care about the opinions of someone dumb enough to blindly believe self-serving statements from officials, to paraphrase your statement.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2015, 03:27:38 PM
When there is an actual bomb threat, then calling the cops is automatic.  When a student reports to a teacher that another student said he had a bomb, it's not so automatic.  Lots of other considerations come into play, like the credibility and character of the two students involved.

So, maybe the person who said it has even more credibility than I thought, since they are trustworthy enough that the school called the cops!  Alright!  :cool:

QuoteYou are making an awful lot of unwarranted assumptions here; for instance, that the kid communicated a threat to "blow up the school," either in jest or not (we have no evidence that he did any such thing).   

Wait, so who should we not believe?  The cops said he admitted to talking about having a bomb.  The brother said he was "joking about bomb threats" and mentioned opening his backpack saying he had a bomb.  Or are you getting into some bitchmode douchebag semantics argument about him specifically saying "blowing up a school" vs "I have a bomb" or whatever stupid bullshit I should expect from you?  Do we believe the family or the cops?  You choose.

QuoteBut then again I'm finding it really really hard to care about the opinions of someone dumb enough to blindly believe self-serving statements from officials, to paraphrase your statement.

Ah yes, it really is bitchmode douchebag time for grumbler!  Cops or family.  Your choice.  Which side are we going with here? 

How about this:  You go ahead and go fuck yourself, you ridiculous waste of space.   By the way, did you ever figure out why an F-14 can't land on a destroyer? 

E:  Hey a related story: http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/12/8th-grader-arrested-in-connection-with-social-media-threat-made-against-dallas-middle-school.html/  Dallas cops, and 3rd Degree Felony for that one.  Looks like Arlington had another one of these in November.  Two kids, threats against a high school.  Felony charges there too. 

Admiral Yi

Why did you take out sperglord?  That was the best part.  :lol:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 22, 2015, 04:47:20 PM
Why did you take out sperglord?  That was the best part.  :lol:

I didn't want to see a dumbass spergy post discussing why he couldn't possibly be the "lord of spergs" from the dude.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

I suspect a reference to Asperger's, the official amateur medical diagnosis of the forum.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Gotta side with the Salt and the Jew.  There seems to be multiple fuck ups from the police here.  They know better then to interrogate a 12 year old with out parents on hand.  Even Texans know that.  When I was in high school we had bomb threats once a week for couple months.  Hell, kids in my middle school set off actual explosives in the bathroom.  They got off with a "boys will be boys".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 22, 2015, 04:26:35 PM
Quote from: grumbler on December 22, 2015, 03:27:38 PM

So, maybe the person who said it has even more credibility than I thought, since they are trustworthy enough that the school called the cops!  Alright!  :cool:

QuoteYou are making an awful lot of unwarranted assumptions here; for instance, that the kid communicated a threat to "blow up the school," either in jest or not (we have no evidence that he did any such thing).   

Wait, so who should we not believe?  The cops said he admitted to talking about having a bomb.  The brother said he was "joking about bomb threats" and mentioned opening his backpack saying he had a bomb.  Or are you getting into some bitchmode douchebag semantics argument about him specifically saying "blowing up a school" vs "I have a bomb" or whatever stupid bullshit I should expect from you?  Do we believe the family or the cops?  You choose.

QuoteBut then again I'm finding it really really hard to care about the opinions of someone dumb enough to blindly believe self-serving statements from officials, to paraphrase your statement.

Ah yes, it really is bitchmode douchebag time for grumbler!  Cops or family.  Your choice.  Which side are we going with here? 

How about this:  You go ahead and go fuck yourself, you ridiculous waste of space.   By the way, did you ever figure out why an F-14 can't land on a destroyer? 

E:  Hey a related story: http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/12/8th-grader-arrested-in-connection-with-social-media-threat-made-against-dallas-middle-school.html/  Dallas cops, and 3rd Degree Felony for that one.  Looks like Arlington had another one of these in November.  Two kids, threats against a high school.  Felony charges there too.

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on December 22, 2015, 05:02:15 PM
Gotta side with the Salt and the Jew.  There seems to be multiple fuck ups from the police here.  They know better then to interrogate a 12 year old with out parents on hand.  Even Texans know that.  When I was in high school we had bomb threats once a week for couple months.  Hell, kids in my middle school set off actual explosives in the bathroom.  They got off with a "boys will be boys".

WHile I definitely agree you don't detain a 12 year old for 3 days without parental notification, I disagree you can chalk up bomb threats to "boys will be boys".  Not these days.  Things have changed since you were in high school Raz.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.