A weird, recurring error in BIOS

Started by Norgy, December 15, 2015, 12:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norgy

I have tried searching for solutions to this on the Interwebs, but I suppose I either search for the wrong stuff because I don't understand what's really wrong or that it's such a novelty error that no-one else really has had it.

When I turn on my computer, I get an error message. Thunderbolt is using too much onboard resources. Well, I turned off the Thunderbolt controller ages ago. Now, however, I have to do it at every boot.

It seems to be one of the least common errors that occur, so apart from faulty motherboard or graphics cards that aren't seated correctly, I get no love on the Internet when searching. I have excluded both scenarios as possible sources for the error message. So my question to you more computerly educated than me is what the hell can I do to remedy this?

MadBurgerMaker

Not saving anything in BIOS?  Try changing the battery.  IIRC they're usually a 2032.  That should at least keep it off.  As far as the Thunderbolt controller goes: vOv

Norgy

I did. It would seem like an obvious solution.

I have tried most solutions apart from sacrificing goats and suchlike. So I am really considering just scrapping the MB and getting an upgrade.

Barrister

Quote from: Norgy on December 15, 2015, 02:50:19 PM
I did. It would seem like an obvious solution.

I have tried most solutions apart from sacrificing goats and suchlike. So I am really considering just scrapping the MB and getting an upgrade.

Your MB is pretty darn new though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Norgy

It's three years and counting. I don't really know the mileage you are supposed to get out of a high-end MB. The warranty expired conveniently before this nuisance appeared.

Barrister

Quote from: Norgy on December 15, 2015, 05:24:30 PM
It's three years and counting. I don't really know the mileage you are supposed to get out of a high-end MB. The warranty expired conveniently before this nuisance appeared.

Ah, I thought newer.

Trouble with getting a new MB is now you'll want to get a new CPU... :shifty:

Norgy

Well, my 4770k is running quite hot even on desktop with liquid cooling, so it might just be time for a change.

viper37

did you search for a BIOS update?  I'd start there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

Along with checking the battery, it was my go-to solution. But there are no new updates for the Deluxe Z87 since the one I already have.

I think this is just some weird mystery that's down to faulty hardware somewhere I can't identify.
I guess I should just accept being defeated by circuitry and electronics and move on.

viper37

You could try Asus tech support on their site.  It's gonna take a while too, they usually need 2-3 days to answer, then you reply, then 2-3 days before they reply, etc, etc.

If the board is faulty, you could return it to them and ask for a quote, it's gonna cost you between 100-150$ for repair, if it can be repaired.  My advice, though, is to buy a newer motherboard instead of repairing the old one.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Norgy

Although I maybe should've been a bit more resilient and done like you say, I just broke down and bought a new Sabertooth MB and and the I7 4790k.
Since I was spending like a drunken sailor, I also bought an Intel PCI-E SSD.

viper37

If you picked the right Sabertooth for your CPU (the latest one is socket 1151, the one you need is 1150), you should like it.  I think it has a 5 year warranty too, you should be good for a while. :)

Norgy

It's a Z97 "Mark S".

I've had two Sabertooth MBs before, and they never let me down. Being an eternal pessimist, I am sure this one will.  :lol:

Barrister

Quote from: Norgy on December 16, 2015, 10:15:02 AM
Although I maybe should've been a bit more resilient and done like you say, I just broke down and bought a new Sabertooth MB and and the I7 4790k.
Since I was spending like a drunken sailor, I also bought an Intel PCI-E SSD.

Why wouldn't you go with Skylake if you're getting a new MB/CPU?

Norgy

Because I can still use my socket 1150 Corsair cooler. Although that may seem redundant, considering how much money I spent.