Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lustindarkness

I watched it in 3D, not sure if I can do Imax, it usually gives me motion sickness. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Syt

I have another IMAX screening lined up for Wednesday evening (which will be my 3rd viewing), but I think that'll be sufficient for now. :blush:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Just make sure you don't stand in between me and my sweet, sweet crack. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tonitrus

Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2015, 03:52:11 PM
Still, it's weird that Leia - his sister - doesn't run to him after he's been gone so long.

Anyway, not a biggie.

Well, they weren't exactly close growing up.  :P

Barrister

Quote from: Tonitrus on December 21, 2015, 04:47:26 PM
Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2015, 03:52:11 PM
Still, it's weird that Leia - his sister - doesn't run to him after he's been gone so long.

Anyway, not a biggie.

Well, they weren't exactly close growing up.  :P

I dunno - they had their moments.

Barrister

Oh by the way one forgotten observation:

Timmy totally didn't recognize Han or Leia (or Luke for that matter).  I guess they do look fairly different than 30 years ago. :(

In fact he thought Kylo Ren was Luke, because Ren said that Luke's lightsabre was "his".

Pedrito

Quote from: Berkut on December 21, 2015, 03:47:07 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on December 21, 2015, 03:40:18 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 21, 2015, 02:30:00 PM
Quote from: Pedrito on December 21, 2015, 01:23:26 PM
- Rey is Han and Leia's daughter. And she's a badass and I love her character.

That would be super lame. How could she be their daughter without them knowing they had a daughter?
Leia could have discovered she was pregnant after having sent away Han, and she could have left the baby on Jakku and did not recognize her once they met again.

L.

Yes, that would be the very definition of "Lame". She had a daughter and abandoned her? Why would she do that? Why would she never mention her when talking to the daughters father? Why would she never check up on said daughter?
your questions will be answered in the next two movies, but the reasons could be multiple.
Anyway, who could be her parents? The only family in the galaxy in which the Force is this strong is the descendants of Anakin; Luke is a jedi, and jedis are chaste as monks; eiher he broke the jedi code with a yet unknown woman to father Rey, or Rey's mother is Leia.
The script, then, strongly suggests some kind of link between Han and Rey: they finish each other's sentences, they have the same knack for mechanics, Chewie likes her from the beginning;
IMO, it's very plausible she's Han's daughter.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Barrister

Quote from: Pedrito on December 21, 2015, 05:05:39 PM
your questions will be answered in the next two movies, but the reasons could be multiple.
Anyway, who could be her parents? The only family in the galaxy in which the Force is this strong is the descendants of Anakin; Luke is a jedi, and jedis are chaste as monks; eiher he broke the jedi code with a yet unknown woman to father Rey, or Rey's mother is Leia.
The script, then, strongly suggests some kind of link between Han and Rey: they finish each other's sentences, they have the same knack for mechanics, Chewie likes her from the beginning;
IMO, it's very plausible she's Han's daughter.

L.

And indeed - I was kind of expecting Rey to be revealed as Rylo Ken's sister as I was watching the movie.

But since all of the people who might have identified her as such (Han, Leia, Rylo Ken) failed to do so, for her to subsequently be identified as Ken's sister would seem like a cheap head fake.  Plus while I have no problem with the story of Star Wars generally being that of the Skywalker clan, not every single major character needs to be related.

My favourite bit of internet speculation is that Rey was a one-time youngling student of Luke's, but after whatever happened to drive Ken bad and Luke to go into exile, Rey was abandoned on Jakku.  So that gives her a connection, gives her some explanation on how she implicitly understands the force without being trained in it, but not being a blood relation.

Queequeg

I think the whole duel is set up well. As you say, the movie has already shown Rey is a capable hand-to-hand fighter, Kylo has been wounded twice (by Chewie and by Finn), and she's doing the "trust in the force" boost that Luke does at the end of ANH too.
Kylo wasn't looking to kill, or maim even.  Rey was.  That's another advantage. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Solmyr

Quote from: celedhring on December 21, 2015, 11:53:58 AM
Leia and Han seem to know who Snoke is just fine, so he isn't a "secret leader" behind the First Order.

Yes, but again this does not mean that he is an especially public figure. After all, as I said, he does not seem to interact with the FO directly except with a couple of people, who then follow his orders. Even if he is known to the rest of the galaxy as some sort of spiritual leader/guide of the FO, it seems obvious that actual day-to-day governing is done by other people.

Also, regarding his appearance, we don't really know a lot about it either. He only appears as a hologram and only his upper body is seen. He could look like anything in the flesh.

Barrister

Quote from: Solmyr on December 21, 2015, 05:32:35 PM
Also, regarding his appearance, we don't really know a lot about it either. He only appears as a hologram and only his upper body is seen. He could look like anything in the flesh.

I mean - hell - he could always pull a Wizard of Oz and just be putting on an act or costume in what we've seen so far.

But given that he's played by Andy Serkis he's presumably some kind of motion-capture CGI creature.

lustindarkness

You know what would really mess with our heads? If they never tell us who Rey's parents are.  They would be: :nelson: and we would be:  :wacko: :cry: :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Barrister

Quote from: lustindarkness on December 21, 2015, 05:40:55 PM
You know what would really mess with our heads? If they never tell us who Rey's parents are.  They would be: :nelson: and we would be:  :wacko: :cry: :mad:

That would run afoul of Raz's favourite dramatic principle - that of Chekhov's gun.  There's no way you can so obviously bring up a character's mysterious origins and parentage without making it a major plot point eventually.

Maybe they don't tell us specifically who Rey's parent's are, but you know her origin is going to be important down the road.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on December 19, 2015, 12:47:44 PM
I want more backstory! What happened to the Republic? The old Empire? Give me more!

Seems like the rebellion managed to liberate the core worlds and set up a new republic there, while an Imperial successor state arose in the more outlying regions. The two governments seemed to be officially at peace at this point with the resistance being the successor to the rebels within First Order space.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point