Star Wars Discussion Thread contains spoilers (and may contain nuts)

Started by Josephus, December 15, 2015, 10:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Not sure the dialog on those panels qualifies as "humor" though. Not a patch on HK.

Syt

Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2017, 08:24:45 AM
Not sure the dialog on those panels qualifies as "humor" though. Not a patch on HK.

It's pretty hamfisted. It's basically, "What if C-3PO and R2 were evil?"

Mr Bones from Aftermath had his own (simple) personality at least.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 17, 2017, 08:27:11 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 17, 2017, 08:24:45 AM

It's pretty hamfisted. It's basically, "What if C-3PO and R2 were evil?"

Mr Bones from Aftermath had his own (simple) personality at least.

There's that bit in Kotor 2 where an HK-50 tries to make you believe that he's a protocol droid that does the "what if C-3PO was evil" shtick much better than what those panels suggest. "My task is to facilitate communications and terminate hostilities" :lol:

Syt

True. :)

0-0-0 and BT are a bit better in context, but they seem a lazy idea to me.

I come again to Mister Bones. Clearly, HK was the inspiration, but he gets his own traits, personality, and heart, plus a bit of character devlopment, clearly caring for his master and the ones close to his master. And he's wonderfully creepy and funny.

Looking around the web, the audience reaction to him is pretty positive, and he's probably a standout character for many (personally, my favorites were Sinjir and Sloane).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Zanza

I would consider a new Thrawn book by Zahn (which you mentioned) but all the other stuff doesn't entice me.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Zanza on March 18, 2017, 04:06:34 AM
I would consider a new Thrawn book by Zahn (which you mentioned) but all the other stuff doesn't entice me.

This is the third time around "establishing" a "new" canon.  By now, it's pretty much established that the early entries are fairly cringe-inducing until an established/talented author starts firming up some things (Splinter of the Mind's Eye and some of the highly-serialized Luke/Leia/Han books that came between Shadows of the Empire and the Thrawn Trilogy come to mind).

Bringing Zahn back on this early in the game is a really good move; he's incredibly consistent- even his "pulp fiction" in the Cobra (non-Star Wars sci fi)books has fairly consistent quality.
Experience bij!

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: DontSayBanana on March 18, 2017, 07:45:01 AM
Quote from: Zanza on March 18, 2017, 04:06:34 AM

This is the third time around "establishing" a "new" canon.  By now, it's pretty much established that the early entries are fairly cringe-inducing until an established/talented author starts firming up some things (Splinter of the Mind's Eye and some of the highly-serialized Luke/Leia/Han books that came between Shadows of the Empire and the Thrawn Trilogy come to mind).

Bringing Zahn back on this early in the game is a really good move; he's incredibly consistent- even his "pulp fiction" in the Cobra (non-Star Wars sci fi)books has fairly consistent quality.

The Zahn books are the only ones I have of the EU. shame they weren't all Zahn....

Syt

I didn't care much for the Thrawn books. They had some good characters, but overall I found them very silly between anti-force-lizards, a confused force clone, and unpronounceable names. They are better than much of the old EU, though.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 18, 2017, 03:20:08 PM
EU?

Expanded Universe. What's now called "Legends". Most comics/novels/games that were released from the 90s till Disney takeover.
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Quote from: Syt on March 18, 2017, 03:17:52 PM
I didn't care much for the Thrawn books. They had some good characters, but overall I found them very silly between anti-force-lizards, a confused force clone, and unpronounceable names. They are better than much of the old EU, though.

The Thrawn books were very entertaining, but never felt much like Star Wars stories to me. I liked the Jedi Academy trilogy more.

Syt

I think I mentioned it before, but I generally didn't care for "what happened after Endor" stuff where you had the warlord of the month, Emperor clones and Alien not-Aztec invaders.

I did like stories that focused on side characters, or "filled gaps" between the movies. As that's what the new expanded universe is focused on I guess it's why I generally like the new material.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on March 18, 2017, 03:27:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 18, 2017, 03:20:08 PM
EU?

Expanded Universe. What's now called "Legends". Most comics/novels/games that were released from the 90s till Disney takeover.

Gotcha.

You shouldn't know this much.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on March 18, 2017, 04:00:13 PM
I think I mentioned it before, but I generally didn't care for "what happened after Endor" stuff where you had the warlord of the month, Emperor clones and Alien not-Aztec invaders.

I did like stories that focused on side characters, or "filled gaps" between the movies. As that's what the new expanded universe is focused on I guess it's why I generally like the new material.
I like both type of stories, but never read anything pre-Yavin though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

I loved the Thrawn books when I first read them as they were Star Wars and they were new.  When I tried re-reading them years later, I was significantly less impressed.  I tried to keep up with the EU for a while, but there was just too much content coming out.  I left Star Wars material entirely for years before coming back for the Clone War era books and shows.  The Karen Traviss books are my favorite piece of EU material.  I wasn't pleased when they axed her contract and ret-conned them out.  I need to get new copies of the books as I gifted them out to a friend years ago.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."