News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Los Angeles schools shut over 'threat'

Started by Syt, December 15, 2015, 10:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35102954?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

QuoteLos Angeles schools have been closed as an unspecified "electronic" threat is investigated, police have said.

A spokeswoman for the Los Angeles police department confirmed that the Los Angeles Unified School District received a threat.

Police could not confirm the validity or specificity of the threat, which sent school buses back from their routes to the depots.

A schools spokesman said they were exercising "an abundance of caution".
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/national-international/Los-Angeles-Schools-Bus-Classes-LAUSD-362374531.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_NYBrand

QuoteLos Angeles Unified School District schools were closed and all students already at school were sent home Tuesday morning due to a possible threat, according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.

Superintendent Ramon Cortines said the closure in the nation's second-largest school district was due to "an abundance of caution" after the LAUSD received what authorities described as an electronic threat Tuesday morning. Details regarding the safety threat were not immediately available.

The FBI was notified and the threat is being analyzed, school police said. All schools are being searched by law enforcement agents, a sweep that will likely take the rest of the day due to the district's size, Cortines said.

Los Angeles School Police confirmed that all students already at schools were sent home Tuesday morning.

An employee at a school bus yard in Gardena said drivers were told not to leave the lot. The threat was not specifically directed at bus operations, Cortines said.

LAUSD enrolls more than 640,000 students in kindergarten through 12th grade at more than 900 schools. The district covers about 720 square miles in Los Angeles and smaller Southern California communities.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Epic fail - one nutter email kills 1/2 million school days of learning.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

There is a point where "abundance of caution" turns into "overabundance of caution".  But, as I said in another thread yesterday, employing reasonable levels of abundance of caution as decision-maker is not a rational strategy when people's natural reaction to disasters is "OMG, why didn't you do something?" rather than "could reasonable measures have prevented this?".

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.