SOVIET AAR thread of Drakken vs. Tamas DC3 Barbarossa game

Started by Tamas, December 12, 2015, 05:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Also, I am REALLY hoping for some of the July rains to arrive and produce some mud. I need it.

11B4V

Hamas, can I get a front overall pic and what date you guys are on.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

Quote from: 11B4V on December 23, 2015, 09:38:33 AM
Hamas, can I get a front overall pic and what date you guys are on.

You're such a romantic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Norgy

Tamas

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Tamas

Turn 7, 12 July

A very short Christmas update, but also because we have the calm before the storm - mostly.

I see German FSB's have been moved very close to the frontline at the center and South - in a turn, maybe two, Drakken will be in a great shape to resume major offensive operations. I have advanced a bit into no man's land in the Center - will see how that will go. But at the least it should prompt Drakken to use some infantry for covering what I expect to be the northern flank of his main thrust.
In general, I am building up a weight of troops in the middle that should be able to at least slow him down and make him pay heavily for any advance. Two new regular armies have also arrived there this turn.

On the North the situation is not good, I lost Riga WAY sooner than i wanted to, but it seems like the FSB hasn't been moved up there, so I am hoping the regular army I redirected to Pskov a turn ago will be able to move to position the next one, and I have deployed a new reserve army to Tallin.

As bad as the North can potentially become, it is nothing to the absolute disaster that somewhat unexpectedly has come on the Southern edge. The German 11th Army and the Romanians basically destroyed my line there and I have NOTHING between them and the wide empty steppes.
Odessa is as good as gone, and I have deployed me one-a-turn cheap garrison to Nikolaev, the first major point of interest in the Axis' way. I have also deployed the new (reservist) 47th Army HQ there but that is a bit of a risky move.

Next turn I will have 3 more reservist armies forming up in the South, but they will have to be dispersed along the front as I fully expect to find my Southern line shattered and in danger of envelopment next turn.

PP-wise, I did a bridge-blowing in the center, but otherwise I am saving up to demand more power next turn. Costs 30 but will give me +5 per turn. Plus Paranoia increase which I can ill afford but Kruschev is still at the Southern Front HQ overseeing a largely useless Marshal...

By popular demand, an overview screenshot:

Tamas

TURN 8, July 16

I am in a heck of a rush so only one screenshot now, that will tell a thousand stories. Notice the more than two turns worth of PPs that I have lost. Should not have ignored the fact that the fall of Odessa costs a shitload of paranoia points (40).

Futher updates on what happened will be summarised later.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Turn 9 (20 July)

The lull last turn, helped by also mud in some places, seems to be coming to an end.

The South is just this ever growing shit-balloon that the closer it gets to bursting, the bigger mess its going to make.

So it was time to replace the guy there with a Tsarist as well:

I have also ordered the South Front to receive STAVKA priorities (forgot to take screenshot :P ). This two together MIGHT save me if most of the armies fully activate next turn. If not... I have no idea.

On the North, Drakken is smartly pushing at the border between the North and Central fronts, although that may disadvantage him as well at some point. I had to move some of the 32th Army out of bounds to block quick advance from that breakthrough of his. (This will mean PP penalties).
Screenshot before that move:

On the Central Front I shuffled units around a bit, anticipating a fuller breakthrough up North. I should have the troop numbers to react to whatever will happen there, but we should not forget there are two Panzer armies there (largely hidden from my view at the moment) that can cause a lot of trouble very quickly if coordinated well. The recent passivity there also suggest Drakken is up to something big. But needless to say, this is the front I worry the least about. Situation after movements:

And, well, the South largely speaks for itself. I could only partially activate the 44th army out of the new reserve ones. So down south is open country between the Axis and Rostov.

I guess my only hope is that Drakken won't believe things are that undefended, and will stay cautious.

Speaking of new armies and such, the mobilisation is now complete and it will be a while (3 turns IIRC) before I get any new armies.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Norgy

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.