And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2016, 11:33:09 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2016, 10:12:33 AM
I love how he slips in little Libertarianisms about how any government regulation is suddenly an act of force.

Of course government regulations is an act of force.  What else would it be?

Come and see the violence that is inherent in the system!

Well forcibly makes it sound like they are roughing up transgressors or something. So long as you consistently always use 'forcibly' as a way to say 'there are regulations' then sure but it makes you sound like a crazy nut.

The state of Texas forcibly makes me get a drivers license. It also forcibly keep me from driving on the side walk. OH THE VIOLENCE
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2016, 11:43:43 AM
You are mixing up numbers.  I refered to the trail of tears, the 48,000 Indians deported occurred in the decades prior.  Pretty much since the US was founded.  No French Accadian were deported to the US in 1755.  I can be absolutely certain of that.  Where they deported to and who did not allow them to speak their language I have no idea, but it was not the US.

Well since you generally do this thing where you lump together all French speakers together you can excuse him if he does the same back to you.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

You are mixing up numbers.  I refered to the trail of tears, the 48,000 Indians deported occurred in the decades prior.  Pretty much since the US was founded.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

No French Accadian were deported to the US in 1755.  I can be absolutely certain of that.  Where they deported to and who did not allow them to speak their language I have no idea, but it was not the US.
British colonies.  That's the same physical location.
Benjamin Franklin certainly did not want the inferior French to live in America.  In fact, he argued that they should all be deported from the continent, and constantly pushed to limit the rights of French speakers and Catholic practitionners, like other colonists.
The Americans had the Quebec Act part of the grievances, an act which allowed French speakers to keep their language and religion.  That was an intolerable act...

Do you think the US was founded on racist principles?

Again, I am merely applying the same glasses you look at France with.  If it was terrible for France, it must have been the same for the US.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on June 30, 2016, 03:53:34 PM
You are mixing up numbers.  I refered to the trail of tears, the 48,000 Indians deported occurred in the decades prior.  Pretty much since the US was founded.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

No French Accadian were deported to the US in 1755.  I can be absolutely certain of that.  Where they deported to and who did not allow them to speak their language I have no idea, but it was not the US.
British colonies.  That's the same physical location.

So was the Buzzard cult.  Do you have some issue with the Mississippian cultures that we should know about?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2016, 02:22:02 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2016, 11:33:09 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2016, 10:12:33 AM
I love how he slips in little Libertarianisms about how any government regulation is suddenly an act of force.

Of course government regulations is an act of force.  What else would it be?

Come and see the violence that is inherent in the system!

Well forcibly makes it sound like they are roughing up transgressors or something. So long as you consistently always use 'forcibly' as a way to say 'there are regulations' then sure but it makes you sound like a crazy nut.

The state of Texas forcibly makes me get a drivers license. It also forcibly keep me from driving on the side walk. OH THE VIOLENCE

I am a crazy nut. :mellow:  I'm just a crazy nut who payed attention in political science class.  Government is violence.  Nothing wrong with that.  It coerces the population with threats of fines, imprisonment, and even death.  It's an orderly and predictable violence that I have some say in.  The alternative is the unpredictable violence of private individuals that I don't have any say in.  I'd much rather see a policeman walking down the street than a crazed gunman.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

What an endless wall of shit. And before you start, V, no I haven't been reading it. :blurgh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2016, 04:02:24 PM
I'd much rather see a policeman walking down the street than a crazed gunman.

You stay in the US why exactly?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: viper37 on June 28, 2016, 05:22:42 PM
There was roughly 2.5 million Americans, white and mostly protestants, English speaking people at the time of your independance.  You have to keep proportions in sight.  Also, indians did not have census of their own, so we need to keep things in proportion.  The American government pursued of policy of extermination and assimilation of indians, that is a fact.  French speakers were also forced assimilated in areas they were settled.  Not that many French speakers in Detroit today, or neither in Lowell, MA.

There was a French speaking community in Detroit until the first decades of the twentieth century.  As I've mentioned before, my great-grandfather spoke French as a first language, even though his family had lived in the United States since Detroit had become American territory.  That community, like almost everything else in old Detroit, was swept away with the boom of the automotive industry.  The population of the city wasn't even 300,000 in 1900, by 1920 it was almost a million and by 1930 it was 1.5 million.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on June 30, 2016, 04:55:41 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2016, 04:02:24 PM
I'd much rather see a policeman walking down the street than a crazed gunman.

You stay in the US why exactly?

We did our own Brexit a while ago and he's stuck here.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

All of a sudden Facebook is suggesting me a bunch of white supremacist/pro-Trump pages  :huh:

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on July 03, 2016, 05:59:41 AM
All of a sudden Facebook is suggesting me a bunch of white supremacist/pro-Trump pages  :huh:

Shouldn't have friended some of your fellow Languishites.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2016, 10:46:21 AM
My favorite example of rural gentrification was a restaurant in Oro-Mentone Township. It was called "The Settlers Ghost" and it was located right nest to a big new golf course and skiing area. It served high-end international type food - all proudly "locally sourced" and "organic". The fun part was the menu and decor, which featured a long description of how the restaurant was intended to "honor the settler families whose passing allowed the creation of this fine restaurant, chalet and golf course" (hence "Settlers Ghost"). The décor was all ye olde time-y farm stuff.

Thing is, this is still a partly rural area, lost of farmers (from settler's families) still live there, and farm. They are being pushed out by tourist facilities of course, but they aren't gone yet. However, they would be very unlikely to eat at a restaurant like this - and I wonder what they would make of being "honored" in that manner!  :lol:

I just had a somewhat similar experience. Maybe a year ago, a barbecue restaurant opened near to me. I'm something of a major barbecue fan (and used to manage a barbecue restaurant), but around here there is a barbecue restaurant on every corner, and this place had prices that were a bit higher than normal and seemed super trendy. It has no buzz and the place is always empty. I never went in.

Today I was going by and saw they had a reasonably priced lunch special, so I gave it a shot. It was something of a culture shock. I've never been to a barbecue place with decor that was so refined, the staff was a kind of preppy hipster (no emphasis on southerness or ruralness, which is rather unique for barbecue places). But the food was actually outstanding--probably the best barbecue in a few mile radius. Still the place was mostly empty.

Some people say that really good barbecue needs to be made by black people (mainly because historically barbecue was prepared by black people and supposedly that is where the authentic heritage resides) or at least people from the country. Which I think is bullshit: good ingredients, good recipes, and proper care when cooking are what is needed (and often lacking)--the identity of the cooks is irrelevant. Still, maybe in the heart of atlanta a restaurant like this would do okay, but this is far enough out of the center of the city that a trendy restaurant featuring barbecue and slightly higher than normal prices isn't going to work. People aren't going to give it a shot.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on July 03, 2016, 05:59:41 AM

Weird how those come together like that.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2016, 01:33:30 PM
I'm pretty sure you can fail even if you don't quit.  If I were to try out for an Olympic 100 meter dash team, I'm pretty sure I will fail regardless of when and if I quit.  Though now that I think about it, I will fail because I'm starting out with such a defeatist attitude.  :hmm:
Quitters never win and winners never quit. But people who never win and never quit are morons.
PDH!