News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2016, 06:58:32 PM
Okay Oex, if you want me to believe that the institutions of your country don't actually do what they are designed to do, then who am I to argue with you?

Do you realise Oexmelin is not French?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Okay Oex, if you want me to believe that the institutions of your country don't actually do what they are designed to do, then who am I to argue with you?

Oex isn't French.

And how is the Academie designed to do what you claim it is designed to do? It has no mechanisms or levers to regulate how French is spoken beyond its cultural gravitas. It does not have some kind of review process where they can fine people like an agency actually designed to regulate would have. A very weird state of conditions if it truly was a regulatory body as you claim.

It is a little like the Oxford English Dictionary only the OED seeks to record and study English while the Academie seeks to protect and define French. But in both cases their authority is completely informal.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2016, 11:36:26 AM

Oex isn't French.

And how is the Academie designed to do what you claim it is designed to do? It has no mechanisms or levers to regulate how French is spoken beyond its cultural gravitas. It does not have some kind of review process where they can fine people like an agency actually designed to regulate would have. A very weird state of conditions if it truly was a regulatory body as you claim.

It is a little like the Oxford English Dictionary only the OED seeks to record and study English while the Academie seeks to protect and define French. But in both cases their authority is completely informal.

Regulating the French language is its stated purpose.  It seems like a state funded advisory board.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2016, 12:47:36 PM
Regulating the French language is its stated purpose.  It seems like a state funded advisory board.

It is one of those cultural institution things. Lots of countries have cultural ministries. But they are not typically regulatory bodies.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2016, 01:20:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 18, 2016, 12:47:36 PM

It is one of those cultural institution things. Lots of countries have cultural ministries. But they are not typically regulatory bodies.

This is really an odd way to spin all this.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 23, 2016, 03:13:01 PM
This is really an odd way to spin all this.

I am stating factual information. They are the guardians of this cultural institution but have nothing besides informal authority. Like the College of Arms in the UK or something.

Valmy

Where is the folly there? I mean the Vice President thing is a little misleading.

DGuller

I'm pretty sure you can fail even if you don't quit.  If I were to try out for an Olympic 100 meter dash team, I'm pretty sure I will fail regardless of when and if I quit.  Though now that I think about it, I will fail because I'm starting out with such a defeatist attitude.  :hmm:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2016, 01:33:30 PM
I'm pretty sure you can fail even if you don't quit.  If I were to try out for an Olympic 100 meter dash team, I'm pretty sure I will fail regardless of when and if I quit.  Though now that I think about it, I will fail because I'm starting out with such a defeatist attitude.  :hmm:

You just need to employ a lawyer to change the rules, so as to allow rocket wheelie shoes.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"