News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

"even if a People of Color isn't in the room"? Mad language skilz. Or huge room.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on June 06, 2016, 01:55:37 AM
I thought PoC was a no no for the PC?

Colored people is a definite no no, people of color is as PC as it gets.

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2016, 02:24:37 AM

What's the difference?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Maladict

Quote from: Liep on June 06, 2016, 03:18:53 AM

What's the difference?

Judean People's front v People's Front of Judea

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2016, 01:05:44 AM
Apparently it's not a parody.

It is basically what I heard before. There was a segment on NPR where some activist was telling white people how we can help protesting police violence against black people. It was entirely stuff we should not do, which I found convenient. Not doing stuff is certainly an easy way to help out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Liep on June 06, 2016, 03:18:53 AM

What's the difference?
Couple of decades on euphemism treadmill.

Valmy

It seems a bit disturbing to think we still need a term to encompass all non-white folks when they come from hundreds of cultures around the world. But, as the last few years have so depressingly demonstrated, this cancer of racism continues to infect us pretty severely.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

I just wonder what something like "stop contributing to gentrification" means? Not moving into neighbourhood inhabited by black people? Choosing a dingy run down unsanitary old joint instead of a nicer new coffee shop with organic coffee, when given a chance? Making sure every newly painted wall is immediately sprayed with graffitti?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2016, 08:39:08 AM
I just wonder what something like "stop contributing to gentrification" means? Not moving into neighbourhood inhabited by black people? Choosing a dingy run down unsanitary old joint instead of a nicer new coffee shop with organic coffee, when given a chance? Making sure every newly painted wall is immediately sprayed with graffitti?

I don't know. Property values are going up for everybody, if we knew how to make property values super cheap so poor home owners wouldn't be forced by property taxes to move well we would already be doing that. But as a Texan I kind of see neighborhoods as transitory. So the black neighborhoods move outwards to the suburbs. Isn't that better? More space? Better quality of life? People are always bitching about the 'inner cities' right? But hey I am not the dude having to abandon my 100 year old neighborhood so what do I know?

But since I am stuck out in the suburbs with the rest of the middle class slobs I guess I am doing my bit. The only thing we gentrified was a long abandoned 19th century ranch. FIGHT TEH POWAH and so forth.

That request tends to suggest the assumption is the white audience being addressed are wealthy urban dwellers.

Martinus

Yeah I get why gentrification is bad for some people - my question was more how you stop contributing to it?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2016, 09:07:04 AM
Yeah I get why gentrification is bad for some people - my question was more how you stop contributing to it?

Live in the suburbs and let the inner cities decay again I guess. But really please don't, I don't want to see our property values skyrocket even faster than they are. I will be gentrified out into a farm village somewhere.

I guess some government help might exist, like letting people below a certain income live in those areas tax free or something. But there will still be people eager to sell their property for hundreds of thousands of dollars and generally governments like increasing their tax base not reducing it.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Martinus on June 06, 2016, 09:07:04 AM

Stop voting for champagne left parties? They are not too friendly to the local blue collars and prefer to get bobo votes or extra-european origin immigration votes, at least in France.  :P