News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I don't think that's a problem either.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Imagine the same post made by an employee of a mayor publication but with the whole room being just men (mostly white men), and with smileys referring to some sort of "male power".

garbon

Well I don't need to imagine that meeting as that's mostly what happens. No one would even do what you are suggesting because it is so typical. But yes, that would be sexist given the history and current state of affairs around the genders in the workplace.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

I'm with Marti on this one.  Confusing equality of opportunity with equality of outcomes is bad enough, but passing off gross inequality in both as equality is Orwellian.  I swear, it's like the universe is conspiring to shake my liberal beliefs by constantly throwing such nonsense at me.

garbon

If your beliefs can be shaken by such, perhaps they aren't all that deeply held to begin with.

Martinus

Thanks to people like garbon I can't wait for Trump to win the elections.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on May 23, 2016, 07:17:50 AM
Thanks to people like garbon I can't wait for Trump to win the elections.

Childish poster is childish. News at 11.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2016, 07:13:42 AM
If your beliefs can be shaken by such, perhaps they aren't all that deeply held to begin with.
No, I think Orwellian doublespeak, or blatant double standards, are pretty big issues.  I'm a liberal mainly because I like to think for myself, and because I think society functions best when it permits and encourages people to think for themselves. 

That reason goes away if liberal thought becomes permeated just different kinds of groupthinks.  One of the most effective ways to control how people think is to control the language;  "diversity' is a good word, so let's define "diversity" as "percentage of people that are not white and male".  It's disgusting and alarming.

garbon

Martinus

Quote from: DGuller on May 23, 2016, 07:22:17 AM
No, I think Orwellian doublespeak, or blatant double standards, are pretty big issues.  I'm a liberal mainly because I like to think for myself, and because I think society functions best when it permits and encourages people to think for themselves. 

That reason goes away if liberal thought becomes permeated just different kinds of groupthinks.  One of the most effective ways to control how people think is to control the language;  "diversity' is a good word, so let's define "diversity" as "percentage of people that are not white and male".  It's disgusting and alarming.

Like Humpty Dumpty said, it's about who is the master - if you redefine the language, you redefine reality. This has been the "regressive left's" tactics for decades, with everything from rape to diversity to fascism.

DGuller

When it comes to 'fascism", it's a whole lot simpler.  Usually when people say "fascist" they mean "authoritarian", but "authoritarian" neither rolls off the tongue well, nor is it even easy to type.  So there is temptation to go with a much easier word, even though it is technically not very applicable.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on May 23, 2016, 07:22:17 AM

I imagine Berkut disagrees.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Capetan Mihali

Luckily, there's real leftism, which holds as little truck with self-congratulatory identity politics as the right does.  We want to put the majority -- workers -- into power, not this minority or that, especially not when that group is an extraordinarily privileged one like the one pictured.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

grumbler

So, what you are saying is that we have always been at war with EastAsia?

It is always fascinating to watch the hypocritical at work.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on May 23, 2016, 08:21:56 AM

So, what you are saying is that we have always been at war with EastAsia?

It is always fascinating to watch the hypocritical at work.

I'm sorry but I don't follow you at all.

I do think there is something wrong with having one's beliefs shaken by a tweet.