Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 26, 2016, 04:26:49 PM
I think most people who say things like "(color) people do this" are being somewhat racist.

See now that's something a white person would say. 

And check your privilege & stuff.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Even worse IMO is the Razgovory definite article: the blacks, the Jews, the Republicans, the Libertarians.

The Brain

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 26, 2016, 05:06:36 PM
Even worse IMO is the Razgovory definite article: the blacks, the Jews, the Republicans, the Libertarians.

Buh?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on February 26, 2016, 04:27:23 PM
I don't think any of those things.

But I guess they just said 'White People' meaning more than one.

So the converse: "Black people think Donald Trump is racist, but they will convince themselves that Beyonce is just expressing herself" is also a fine thing to say?

To me both are generalisations based on race that seem unsupported by any evidence - i.e. what racism is all about.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 28, 2016, 02:31:35 AM

So the converse: "Black people think Donald Trump is racist, but they will convince themselves that Beyonce is just expressing herself" is also a fine thing to say?

To me both are generalisations based on race that seem unsupported by any evidence - i.e. what racism is all about.

Well if more than one Black person thinks that than at least you are saying a factually true statement :P

But of course what you say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on February 28, 2016, 02:41:43 AM

Well if more than one Black person thinks that than at least you are saying a factually true statement :P

But of course what you say.

Then say "some" or "there are white people who think". Of course then you lose the racially charged stupid impact. :P

Martinus

So, my Facebook feed is now inundated by leftists reposting a gawker video proving that Trump is a horrible human being who mocks people with disabilities and puts down "widely regarded women". Evidence? He told Larry King in the 1980s that he has bad breath and said that Kim Kardashian has a big ass. The tribalism of this shit disgusts me. I hope Trump wins, so those fuckers can cry.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on February 29, 2016, 02:27:23 AM
So, my Facebook feed is now inundated by leftists reposting a gawker video proving that Trump is a horrible human being who mocks people with disabilities and puts down "widely regarded women". Evidence? He told Larry King in the 1980s that he has bad breath and said that Kim Kardashian has a big ass. The tribalism of this shit disgusts me. I hope Trump wins, so those fuckers can cry.

Now you understand how American politics works!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Paul Daniels, a popular TV magician in the 80s and 90s, has been diagnosed with a terminal brain tumour. An overtly religious FB friend posted that she'd donated to this GoFundMe site. Nothing suspicious about this at all, like the grammar, spelling and the fact no actual charities or causes have been identified...

https://www.gofundme.com/pauldanielsmagic

The Brain

derspiess

FWIW she removed that post from her FB wall within hours of posting it.  Either someone pointed out the irony of appearing to generalize white people, or she thought better of it herself.  She's a sweet girl and and I'm sure didn't mean anything bad by it, but she's been bruised by some experiences (microaggressions, I guess) as a Puerto Rican gal living in Kentucky.  So she sometimes posts silly things like that out of frustration.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall