Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

grumbler

I don't get the Republican drumbeat to use the results of the Arizona audit, which they claim demonstrated fraud, as a model for other states.  The Arizona audit demonstrated that, if there was fraud, it was perpetrated by Republicans.  Are Republicans not satisfied to be humiliated in only one state?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: grumbler on October 08, 2021, 08:42:57 AM
I don't get the Republican drumbeat to use the results of the Arizona audit, which they claim demonstrated fraud, as a model for other states.  The Arizona audit demonstrated that, if there was fraud, it was perpetrated by Republicans.  Are Republicans not satisfied to be humiliated in only one state?
Most of them don't know or care what the audit results are, only that they can scream about fraud by the other side. Its what happens when you elect social media influencers to office.
PDH!

DGuller

I think expecting logic from Republicans is a recipe for becoming insane yourself.  I think they discovered the secret that online debaters knew for a while: the outcome is what you claim it is, so it's dumb to ever claim that the outcome is not in your favor.  What we need to discover is a counter to this gaslighting, and I don't think anyone even knows where to look for it, to be honest.  I hope it exists somewhere, because otherwise the future of humanity doesn't look that promising.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2021, 01:43:12 AM
  "Stop the steal" is dying a slow painful death.

Slow and painful yes.

Still waiting on the death part.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2021, 10:17:41 AM
I think expecting logic from Republicans is a recipe for becoming insane yourself.  I think they discovered the secret that online debaters knew for a while: the outcome is what you claim it is, so it's dumb to ever claim that the outcome is not in your favor.  What we need to discover is a counter to this gaslighting, and I don't think anyone even knows where to look for it, to be honest.  I hope it exists somewhere, because otherwise the future of humanity doesn't look that promising.
They adopted the social media fix for reality. That being, reality is what feels right for you and anyone contradicting it is a lying, evil, monster.  Not wrong, evil. 
PDH!

Razgovory

This is the end result of "liberal media bias" claims.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2021, 11:49:16 AM

Ugg.

I don't see how it can be denied that the traditional, "mainstream" media has and continues to have a liberal bias.  And it's gotten worse - just look at some of the stories coming out of say the NYT about people being fired after calls from the newsroom.

But bias does not mean "fake news", and pointing to bias does not inevitably result in rejecting anything the mainstream media has to say.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Liberal media bias in mainstream media? I guess that means you don't consider anything owned by Murdoch or Sinclair (or Postmedia) to be mainstream?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on October 08, 2021, 12:09:04 PM
Liberal media bias in mainstream media? I guess that means you don't consider anything owned by Murdoch or Sinclair (or Postmedia) to be mainstream?

Murdoch's media has pretty consistently set itself up in opposition to the "mainstream media" so no.  Not nearly as familiar with Sinclair as it mostly owns local tv stations in the US, but they sound fairly conservative.

Postmedia is a little more complicated.  Certainly the National Post was founded by Conrad Black (who now writes terrible pro-Trump screeds from time to time) with an explicit version of being a small-c conservative alternative to the Globe and Mail.  Black also bought up a number of other newspapers.  But then the papers were sold to Izzy Asper's Canwest Global.  Izzy Asper was the one-time leader of the Manitoba Liberal Party, and the papers editorially kind of switched between the Liberals and Conservatives.  Then of course Canwest went bankrupt in 2008, the assets were sold to Postmedia with the help of hedge funds.  Postmedia then went on to purchase the Sun Media assets from Quebecor.

Postmedia's editorial content has been fairly pro-Conservative (perhaps as a kind of vestigal holdover from Conrad Black), and with the hollowing-out of Canadian newspapers generally they don't produce a whole lot of content anyways, but their general news content is definitely mainstream and yes, I would say, has a liberal (small L) bias.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 08, 2021, 11:54:30 AM

Ugg.

I don't see how it can be denied that the traditional, "mainstream" media has and continues to have a liberal bias.  And it's gotten worse - just look at some of the stories coming out of say the NYT about people being fired after calls from the newsroom.

But bias does not mean "fake news", and pointing to bias does not inevitably result in rejecting anything the mainstream media has to say.

Look closely, I have denied it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on October 08, 2021, 11:54:30 AM

Ugg.

The mainstream media has a bias towards posting reality.

If you define reality as "liberal", then you are correct.

Note: I am not claiming the mainstream media doesn't have serious problems. It does. Liberal bias is not one of them however.

Here you go:

https://adfontesmedia.com/
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 08, 2021, 12:33:49 PM
Murdoch's media has pretty consistently set itself up in opposition to the "mainstream media" so no.  Not nearly as familiar with Sinclair as it mostly owns local tv stations in the US, but they sound fairly conservative.

Claiming not to be mainstream for political and branding purposes does not make it not mainstream, IMO.

QuotePostmedia is a little more complicated.  Certainly the National Post was founded by Conrad Black (who now writes terrible pro-Trump screeds from time to time) with an explicit version of being a small-c conservative alternative to the Globe and Mail.  Black also bought up a number of other newspapers.  But then the papers were sold to Izzy Asper's Canwest Global.  Izzy Asper was the one-time leader of the Manitoba Liberal Party, and the papers editorially kind of switched between the Liberals and Conservatives.  Then of course Canwest went bankrupt in 2008, the assets were sold to Postmedia with the help of hedge funds.  Postmedia then went on to purchase the Sun Media assets from Quebecor.

Postmedia's editorial content has been fairly pro-Conservative (perhaps as a kind of vestigal holdover from Conrad Black), and with the hollowing-out of Canadian newspapers generally they don't produce a whole lot of content anyways, but their general news content is definitely mainstream and yes, I would say, has a liberal (small L) bias.

That's a reasonable analysis and argument, but not so overwhelming that the contrary cannot be argued. And given Postmedia's position in Canada, it is perfectly reasonable to argue that mainstream media in Canada does not have a liberal bias.

Though I suppose that also comes down to what you define as a "liberal bias". I'm curious, if we imagine a Postmedia that did not have a liberal bias, what would that look like? And what would the Canadian media landscape all up look like if it didn't have what you consider a liberal bias?

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on October 08, 2021, 01:39:31 PM
The mainstream media has a bias towards posting reality.

If you define reality as "liberal", then you are correct.

Note: I am not claiming the mainstream media doesn't have serious problems. It does. Liberal bias is not one of them however.

:rolleyes:

Okay, so what are the problems of the mainstream media?

Eddie Teach

All media has bias, it's inescapable. Whether it's defined as liberal, conservative, centrist, nationalist, or pretended to not exist is in the eye of the beholder.

That said, there is a significant difference between media that tries to honestly report news and media that doesn't.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?