News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

Nobody is saying Covid-vaccines are "perfectly safe" for pregnant women.

Pregnant women are told the state of the science, may get vaccines while pregnant if they wish, and the results are being tracked (and so far the results for mRNA vaccines have been terrific).

And there are boatloads of studies showing the risk of alcohol to unborn fetuses.  What kind of crazy false equivalency is this?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

False equivalence an misrepresentations are how memes are used to brainwash and manipulate.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on May 25, 2021, 12:10:31 PM

Wait, what?  I don't know if this is a religious meme or an atheist meme.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Um....dude it is an Incredibles meme.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2021, 06:58:31 PM
It's an antireligious meme. 

I guess. Not every religious person wears shitty T-shirts.

Admiral Yi

No guessing needed.

"If you subtract the truth from life you're left with God."  Ergo God is a lie, he is all falsehood.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2021, 07:04:15 PM
No guessing needed.

"If you subtract the truth from life you're left with God."  Ergo God is a lie, he is all falsehood.

It's a gnostic meme. God is not just a myth, he's literally the opposite of all truth! 😄
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I should make memes.  I'm just as disingenuous as the next guy.  I think I would make a good propagandist.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2021, 07:04:15 PM
No guessing needed.

Um they are saying that is what the shirt says, that is how lame the shirt is. It is a joke. Jeez.

Syt

Not how I parsed it. I read it as only the first line (God + truth = life) and the rest is the memer making fun of it.

Granted, the format leaves it a bit ambiguous, but I'd assume that I the entire text after the initial colon was supposed to be on the t-shirt, then it would say "you" instead of "they".

Also, it seems more in line with usual meme formats of taking one line by someone else (real or imagined) and then mocking it.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Right.  That way makes sense.  The other way makes no sense.