Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Oh! Self-Nazi-burn! Those are [not with this crowd] rare.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

QuoteChad Prather

Women are being exploited at our southern border. Where is the #metoo movement? The borderland is being littered and trashed. Where are the climate activists? Children are being abused and trafficked. Where are the advocates?
Oh that's right! This is the Biden administration.
We must take a stand as Texans because the federal government will not backtrack their policies and be effective. Our nation's border is under siege and we must fight to secure it.
Biden must declare cartels to be international terrorists. The national guard should be deployed in full force. Detect. Detain. Deport. Defend. ICE and border patrol must be allowed to actually do their jobs. Greg Abbott must declare illegals are unwelcome in Texas.
Let's take back our state and our nation. #Prather2022
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Fun anecdote: when her daughter was in elementary school and said that she was not comfortable saying the pledge of allegiance, she told her that it was fine, and no one would force her to, and that if teachers gave here a hard time, she would talk to them.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Valmy

A shirt saying that races other than black ones' lives matter?!!!! Can you even imagine?

I am sure that mother would be enraged.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I guess its the usual fallacy that the assault on trans rights is nothing of the sort and its actually the evil left being obsessed with trying to push laws to give trans people extra rights (at the expense of normal people!), and that they can only do one thing at once thus ignore any serious issues in favour of obsessing over she/him/them.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2021, 07:06:38 AM
I guess its the usual fallacy that the assault on trans rights is nothing of the sort and its actually the evil left being obsessed with trying to push laws to give trans people extra rights (at the expense of normal people!), and that they can only do one thing at once thus ignore any serious issues in favour of obsessing over she/him/them.
Well the GOP has always been pushing for increased cybersecurity.  Look how they tore apart the last Cybersecurity tzar when he couldn't produce evidence of voter election fraud.
PDH!

Razgovory

The only ones talking about the this silly culture war bullshit is Republicans.  Nobody else is even aware this is going on.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

:hmm: Maybe Young Americans should read up on history.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

I don't think the Bolsheviks had done any of those.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on May 12, 2021, 07:06:38 AM

I'm having difficulty parsing this post.

Do you mean their is a fallacious pov that professes to protect the rights of cis people, but is really motivated by bigotry,

or

do you mean that any argument in favor of cis rights that conflicts with trans rights is fallacious?

I personally think the issue of trans people in gender segregated sports is legitimate (I think you have expressed the same before).  I also think the issue of trans people in places like women's shellters is legitimate.  Also not crazy about criminalizing use of the incorrect pronoun, like in Canada.

Josquius

It's a non issue.
Who qualifies as a woman for the purpose of taking part in high level sport is something the sports themselves have been struggling with since the mid 20th century. It's an interesting topic if you're into sports rules nerdery but nothing to get yourself worked up about. Definitely not a political issue.

And yes. Bigotry is their motive. They often pretend to be about protecting women and other such nonsense but this is a shallow bad faith mask.

The fallacy is that they pretend it's the left trying to push unreasonable rules to change the way things are when in fact its them trying to introduce brand new rules to stop trans people just getting on with their life.
██████
██████
██████